Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2018, 05:47 PM   #221
Gold Member

Volta is currently offering three B Kits...

1) Intro Kit...6.7 kWh
2) Power Kit...10 kWh
3) Off-Grid Kit...13.5 kWh

No pricing on Website. Even more choices for the B Group

https://voltapowersystems.com/indust...orage-rv/#kits
angelmroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:24 PM   #222
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmroman View Post
Volta is currently offering three B Kits...

1) Intro Kit...6.7 kWh
2) Power Kit...10 kWh
3) Off-Grid Kit...13.5 kWh

No pricing on Website. Even more choices for the B Group

https://voltapowersystems.com/indust...orage-rv/#kits
If all you're interested in supporting is 6.7kwh, why even opt for the Volta system or for that matter a lithium battery? AGMs and the factory alternator seems like a better bang for the buck. IMO Volta makes sense only when you have a 13-15 kwh battery to support.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:47 PM   #223
Gold Member

Agree cruising7388

At the price point Volta will be asking for the “Off-Grid” Kit, that’s the only one that makes sense for larger capacity needy Clients
Old 04-02-2018, 01:29 PM   #224
Gold Member

It’s been two full months since installing the “Package” of AGM/Solar/Inverter-Charger.

When first installed in Orlando (400 Watts), I observed a peak harvest of 22 Amps at mid-day.

This weekend in Key West, observed a peak harvest of 28 Amps at mid-day.

There is a 40 Amp MPPT Controller. My question is...
With the Sun at about a 75* position now, will there be a noticeable increase in peak harvest when the Sun is directly overhead?

Thanks Guys
Old 04-02-2018, 01:47 PM   #225
Platinum Member

Quote:
Agree cruising7388

At the price point Volta will be asking for the “Off-Grid” Kit, that’s the only one that makes sense for larger capacity needy Clients

Ron told us that travato is using the middle 10000 kit. the 8700 is net power available
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:50 PM   #226
Platinum Member

Quote:
... My question is...
With the Sun at about a 75* position now, will there be a noticeable increase in peak harvest when the Sun is directly overhead?...
Probably. This kind of thing can actually be calculated if precision is desired, but just by qualitative experience, I can tell you that summer harvest is noticeably larger (my panels total 300 watts).
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:08 PM   #227
Platinum Member

Default Sun angle

The calculation of energy loss with the sun off vertical is: Power out=Power at Vertical X cos(degrees off vertical) cos 0 = 1, cos 90 = 0. With sun at 75* you are 15* off vertical cos15*= 0.9659 so with sun at 75* you get 96.5% power, at 45* you get 70.7%, at 30* you get 60%, at 20* you get 34%, at 10* you get 17% and on the horizon ( 90* off vertical ) you get 0%
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:27 PM   #228
Platinum Member

Quote:
It’s been two full months since installing the “Package” of AGM/Solar/Inverter-Charger.

When first installed in Orlando (400 Watts), I observed a peak harvest of 22 Amps at mid-day.

This weekend in Key West, observed a peak harvest of 28 Amps at mid-day.

There is a 40 Amp MPPT Controller. My question is...
With the Sun at about a 75* position now, will there be a noticeable increase in peak harvest when the Sun is directly overhead?

Thanks Guys
You may want to look at this thread that shows how to get solar energy and also to calculate a full days worth of power any time of year in any place on earth. Very handy, I think.

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f2...ions-6543.html

We can't post editable programs here, but if anyone wants a copy of the spreadsheet that does the calcs for you, PM me and I will send you a copy by email.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:38 AM   #229
Platinum Member

Default Terminology

Please use Amp Hours when refererring to energy storage. Amps are current flow and refer to power, not energy. Amp hours refer to energy. If your fridge takes 5 amps it does not use 120 amps over the course of a day, it used 120 amp hours BIG DIFFERENCE !
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 02:46 AM   #230
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFry View Post
Please use Amp Hours when refererring to energy storage. Amps are current flow and refer to power, not energy. Amp hours refer to energy. If your fridge takes 5 amps it does not use 120 amps over the course of a day, it used 120 amp hours BIG DIFFERENCE !
A pet peeve of mine also, but in this case anglemroman is correct in his terminology.

He is referring to his instantaneous amp readings at particular times of the day, so amps is correct because he has no time of collection in the equation.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:18 PM   #231
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
He is referring to his instantaneous amp readings at particular times of the day, so amps is correct because he has no time of collection in the equation.
I believe I've learned that solar amp readings depend on the state of your battery and loads. Is it so that you only read the amps your system is using at the moment, even if more is available? That is, if your battery is full and no loads are drawing power, you might read zero in great sun.

Seeing this was a bit disconcerting at first, but I've noticed I can make my Zamp read higher instantaneous amps if I turn the fan on, for example.

I have to admit I'm a dope: where do those extra amps the charger could provide go?
Saldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:51 PM   #232
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saldar View Post
I believe I've learned that solar amp readings depend on the state of your battery and loads. Is it so that you only read the amps your system is using at the moment, even if more is available? That is, if your battery is full and no loads are drawing power, you might read zero in great sun.

Seeing this was a bit disconcerting at first, but I've noticed I can make my Zamp read higher instantaneous amps if I turn the fan on, for example.

I have to admit I'm a dope: where do those extra amps the charger could provide go?
The solar will only generate as many amps as have a place to go at the set voltage. They may go to the batteries or van loads. The solar can put out anywhere from near zero (full batteries no loads) to it's maximum in the same sun conditions.

The best way to check for how much your solar will put out (in amps) at any given time is to just start turning things on in the van until the solar charging voltage starts to drop off from you absorption setpoint. You will then be at max output from the solar. If you are early in charging the batteries and the voltage is below the absorption voltage, you will already be at max output for the conditions.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:27 PM   #233
Platinum Member

Default Lithium/Alternator/Inverter Package from Xantrex

What a joke.
Technomadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:36 PM   #234
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
The solar can put out anywhere from near zero (full batteries no loads) to it's maximum in the same sun conditions.....

The best way to check for how much your solar will put out (in amps) at any given time is to just start turning things on in the van until the solar charging voltage starts to drop off from you absorption setpoint. You will then be at max output from the solar.
Thanks for explaining the unexpected amp display and additionally why I don't always see the set point voltage when the solar is charging. The behaviour certainly wasn't intuitive to me but I'm glad to learn it's working the way it's supposed to!
Saldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:52 PM   #235
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technomadness View Post
What a joke.
You going to let the rest of us in on the joke so we can all have a laugh?