Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2019, 03:28 AM   #61
Platinum Member

Lets be clear. I used the same number 9600 watts that is the manufacturers description of my RV. That use of watts is also apparently now being used by Winnebago. And it shows up repeatedly on Amazon in battery descriptions. In short, it has become common English usage. Get over it.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:50 AM   #62
Platinum Member

Winnebago Pure3 lithium battery system info uses correct units...

https://www.winnebagotravato.com/win...-travato-pure3
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:04 AM   #63
Platinum Member

Famous engineering failure due to incorrect units, yes they do matter...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Climate_Orbiter
Old 04-14-2019, 03:29 PM   #64
Platinum Member

I think there are many people who don't understand the unit thing with specifications, never have been trained in them, and don't particularly care to be, which is just fine, IMO. If I were and accountant I probably wouldn't be particularly interested in spending the time. Engineers who have dealt with the units on a daily basis for decades almost certainly have seen how important the unit understanding is, have also likely seen some major mistakes made by wrong units, and would likely also seen how the units game playing can be used in less than honorable ways by vendors or people with an agenda.

The last item above is the major reason I think it is important for places like this forum to try to discuss these kind of items using the correct units and not wander into using terms that would allow for non technical people to be mislead or not understand what they see here or elsewhere.

Bottom line is that I don't see this as a foo foo issue that is just anal retentive correctness, as there are plenty of examples of things that have been manipulated to, IMO, confuse and deceive customers in the class b business.

A good example of what can happen, I think, is the Zion battery spec when it was released.

The battery, which is a TPPL AGM style, was stated to be a "400 amp" battery, which by "shortening" or abbreviating theory would indicate 400ah to nearly every RV shopper because battery specs have all been rated in AH in RVs. This includes other Roadtreks.

It was probably some engineers or other tech geeks that started wondering where they found room in a Zion for that many big heavy batteries and looked into it, by finding out the brand and chasing down a spec sheet by looking for anything to do with 400 amps. As it turns out it was a 185ah battery and the 400 amps was reserve power rating.

I don't think there is any question that this spec was used to deceive the customers, while still claiming to be technically correct because the battery did have a 400 amp rating for another parameter. At the RV show, we heard sales persons touting the Zion having 400 amps while the competition only had 100-200 amps (which were actual ah ratings). We a also so posters who thought the Zion canme with 400ah based on the specs, so it certainly happened pretty often.

I will point out that the above could just have well happened if the 400 amp rating was changed to 4800 watts as the "shortening" would have folks thinking it was 4800 watt hrs. The battery really would have only 2220 watt hrs. The competition's 200ah battery would have 2400 watt hrs.

The solution, I think, does not necessarily mean everyone who looks at RVs or other items needs to take a scientific units master's class .

What will help is, first and foremost, when manufacturers or sales persons start playing with units, or other terminology, to intentionally deceive customers, they need to be called out on it here and wherever else it can be stated. They all read these forums or hear about them from customers, so it will get to them. This actually did put enough pressure on Roadtrek to fix an issue when they silently started to include the 6 gallons of water in the water heater to their "water capacity" to have more than the competition. They added a note to the capacity spec that said it was included.

The other part that I think also needs to happen is that when we as owners or followers post here, or talk to other people, about these topics it is important to not reinforce the unit redefining or misuse that is being used by other sources like manufacturers or dealers. If someone searches information on this forum and finds posts that say that "amps" is a normal shortening for "amp hours" and should be treated as equal, they have just been pushed into falling for the Zion battery spec deception mentioned above.

There certainly is no doubt that engineers can be very picky (understatement) on details and data compared to the general population. These stereotypes are not made up and are quite accurate . It is exactly those traits that make so we get better, safer, more reliable products, so more irritating than bad, IMO. It is when the marketing people start messing with things that you get the things we have been talking about here, as there is no good that can come from misrepresentations.

We all know that there will be lots of stuff listed on the forum with incorrect units because it is in the best interest of the manufacturers and sales folks to have it that way and for many potential RV buyers they are the first to mention them. It is plainly not the posters fault or intelligence that causes these kinds of confusions as they have been fed false information. When other posters mention that incorrect units or ratings have been used, I would hope that most of us can use this as opportunity to learn a bit or at least be aware that they should not be using that unit or term as a comparison to other correct units or terms, as they or others may be misled into making an expensive error.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:48 PM   #65
Site Team

"Without the letter U, UNITS would be NITS"
--Sesame Street

https://idreporter.net/v/sesame-stre...zftsBsybo.html
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:57 PM   #66
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I think it is important for places like this forum to try to discuss these kind of items using the correct units and not wander into using terms that would allow for non technical people to be mislead or not understand what they see here or elsewhere.
When Buckminster Fuller was taken to task for using obscure, hard-to-understand terms in his books, he replied: "I would rather be not understood than misunderstood."
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:02 PM   #67
Platinum Member

I have a 2015 190P. Solar and Onan generator. No 2nd alternator. 33,000 miles. I'm going to be full timing starting in a week until november. Mostly going to folk music festivals and baking bread. My Onan runs well, but i don't want to use it in a campground when i don't have a 30 amp connection, it's just too loud for the 3 hours i'd need it to run to bake bread, let alone the overnight running for a/c in 85+ degree evenings in south texas.

I'm thinking of getting a honda eu2200i companion generator. It will just fit in the cabinet behind the driver, or i might get a storage box on the back to carry it. It has a 30 amp outlet i plan on plugging the RV into. This is enough electricity to run 2 bread machines, or the microwave. I'm hoping i could run the A/C also (with nothing else running).

Is this feasible ? Am i trying to get 2 gallons out of a 1 gallon jug ?? Any other thoughts, suggestions would be apreciated..

No, i don't know watts from volts from a pothole up ahead..
bwolfsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:30 PM   #68
Platinum Member

I looked that up. At 2200 watts max and 1800 rated it produces enough power to run the ac and will easily run your bread machine. The specs say it will run 8.1 hours at 1/4 load and 3.2 at the rated load. Depending on your ac and the temperatures you would likely run out of gas at night if you ran the ac. Two bread machines might also be dicey depending on the recipe and how much current they draw. With the bread machines I am familiar with, if the electricity goes out, you can't really restart them mid-cycle. I assume you can't safely refill the generator while it is running.

BTW those maximum loads apply whether you connect with the 20 amp or 30 amp plug. The generator can produce 2200 watts to start your AC, but you won't be able to draw more than 15 amps (1800 watts) total for any length of time.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:59 PM   #69
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilliams View Post
I looked that up. At 2200 watts max and 1800 rated it produces enough power to run the ac and will easily run your bread machine. The specs say it will run 8.1 hours at 1/4 load and 3.2 at the rated load. Depending on your ac and the temperatures you would likely run out of gas at night if you ran the ac. Two bread machines might also be dicey depending on the recipe and how much current they draw. With the bread machines I am familiar with, if the electricity goes out, you can't really restart them mid-cycle. I assume you can't safely refill the generator while it is running.

BTW those maximum loads apply whether you connect with the 20 amp or 30 amp plug. The generator can produce 2200 watts to start your AC, but you won't be able to draw more than 15 amps (1800 watts) total for any length of time.
Thanks for your analysis..

The bread machines run up to 750 watts (each) (it says 650 on the label) when they are baking; less wattage for the rest of the cycle. If the power goes out, They hold their status for 10 minutes.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:24 PM   #70
Bud
Platinum Member

"I assume you can't safely refill the generator while it is running."

Yes, but there are ways to add another fuel tank without filling the Honda's fuel tank.
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:08 PM   #71
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
"I assume you can't safely refill the generator while it is running."

Yes, but there are ways to add another fuel tank without filling the Honda's fuel tank.
ways ?? which way did the ways go ?
Old 04-14-2019, 07:31 PM   #72
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwolfsohn View Post
ways ?? which way did the ways go ?
Not quite sure I understand. I should have said refill the Honda's fuel tank, another tank that feeds it - lots of run time, ac.
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:23 AM   #73
Platinum Member

"When Buckminster Fuller was taken to task for using obscure, hard-to-understand terms in his books, he replied: "I would rather be not understood than misunderstood."

The purpose of this forum is to provide accurately understood information for type B RV users. There is a group of people here who want to treat it as a technical forum for engineers. Its not and many of the people providing and using the information wouldn't be competent to use it that way. The result is to misinform people rather than to inform them.

Which was actually Buckminster Fuller's point.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:26 AM   #74

Reminds me of years ago, some battery sales ‘genius’ decided to list their batteries in ‘Cranking Amps’ (CA @ 32 degrees f) to appear their batt’s were of higher capacity than others...

The industry standard for years was Cold Cranking Amps (CCA @ 0 degrees f)...

Using the 32 degree rating was of course ‘warner’ than the 0 degree rating, and the chemical reaction is increased to intricate a higher ‘Cranking’ rating when it’s the same battery... say, 850 CCA might be equivalent to 925 CA.. Also, in marine circles, may be listed as ‘Marine Cranking Amps’ (MCA) which is actually the same as CA, 32 degrees rating...

Sometimes new ‘ratings’ are introduced to confuse users to make a product seem better than others or maybe a ‘better deal’, price wise... Look at all kinds of products that have smaller packages that appear similar but with a lower cost; ice cream, cereal, canned tuna, & lots of other canned goods, etc...
Mexray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:01 AM   #75
Platinum Member

We might just as well admit it, Ross will never get it. (probably just so he can keep arguing and insulting per the troll instruction manual)
Old 04-15-2019, 01:01 PM   #76
Platinum Member

Wonderful Chinese technology is responsible for hundreds of homes being burnt to the ground from defective lithium cells in the hobby market. They will sell the US anything they can manufacture good or bad.

Their quality controls is only a dollar bill!

Mike
IdleUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:30 PM   #77
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdleUp View Post
Wonderful Chinese technology is responsible for hundreds of homes being burnt to the ground from defective lithium cells in the hobby market. They will sell the US anything they can manufacture good or bad.

Their quality controls is only a dollar bill!

Mike
Citation?

extra spaces to get over the ten character minimum
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:11 PM   #78
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
We might just as well admit it, Ross will never get it. (probably just so he can keep arguing and insulting per the troll instruction manual)
I guess we need to stop having technical discussions, even though this is the prime forum for technical discussion of Class B vans, now that Ross has spoken and informed us that we shouldn’t be discussion technical stuff since it confuses people...
Old 04-15-2019, 07:38 PM   #79
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
I guess we need to stop having technical discussions, even though this is the prime forum for technical discussion of Class B vans, now that Ross has spoken and informed us that we shouldn’t be discussion technical stuff since it confuses people...

Yep, no terms like ROI from the accountants, spring rate from suspension people, MTBF for reliability people, or anything that 100% of the population can't recognize and understand even if it is shortened.

New home screen will read welcome to the least technical and thorough class b forum on the web, but you are sure to understand the elementary school level things we are allowed to discuss.

Discussions here on topics that I am not intimately familiar with happen all the time. Just remember Google is your friend. Very easy if you use a mouse shortcut on a PC. highlight/right click/click "search google for ......" and you have a new all the information you need.

I notice Ross never did explain why he thought the shortening done related to Zion deception was OK and how it could be prevented.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:17 PM   #80

When I purchased my van I was told there would be no math.
Tell Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote