Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2015, 09:48 PM   #1

Default Looking at buying a used 2008 Lexor, but 6 owners so far...

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at a used 2008 Pleasure-way Lexor TS. It has low mileage (under 35,000 miles), but has had 6 owners so far. The longest was 2.5 years, the shortest was 1 month, then 4 months, then 7 months.

Should I automatically walk away from it? I know that people often get a smaller RV and then decide they can't deal with such a small unit, but isn't this beyond even that?

What do you think?

Thanks in advance for your advice and experience.
MyJourneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:06 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Pleasure Way build quality would be above average in my opinion. That Lexor would be Chevy based so the handling should be decent.

Most likely one house battery and aisle shower - not everyone is happy with that.

Six owners seem unusual to me - maybe a couple of quick turnovers for profit in its history?
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:12 PM   #3
Platinum Member

6 owners? Were all the owners local? Where has it been and how was it stored? Was it outside each winter in the Northeast; if so, inspect for rust

Do you have all the vehicle service records? One of my concerns would be did it get regular service? It is quite possible that with that many owners a few milestones were skipped or records lost. 7 years old, means an average of only 5k miles per year. Might even have original tires? Replace them.

The history of the vehicle will tell you a lot about what problems it may have.

If all that is in order (or not) and it drives fine, have a mechanic check it out and if the price is right, you might have a good deal on your hands.

Then there is the RV side of the equation. If you are knowledgable, do a thorough inspection. If not, find a friend who is, or a local Pleasureway dealer should, for a small charge, inspect everything. At some point you may need his services, so this would be a good time to meet them and assess how they are in the service dept. Electrical/battery, plumbing and propane systems would be my main concerns. Other wear and tear issues can usually be dealt with inexpensively (except maybe leaks).

Good luck
Old 11-09-2015, 11:50 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I don't know if I'd be all that concerned.

Think about it - you can go online and find any number of 1 to 3 year old RV's for sale. Lot's of reasons for nearly new RV's for sale - people upgrade, financial troubles, health issues, even dropping dead! Sometimes even ownership changes, but is actually held by the same people - transfers to a spouse or to a corporation or LLC. Lots of reasons for that. Even transfers between dealers could result in a change of ownership.

What I'd avoid are rental units. They may get good maintenance, but people are really hard on them. The wear and tear can be hard.

Good luck!
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:30 AM   #5
Platinum Member

I've heard of people buying a B van and then realizing that they can't sleep in it due to too small a bed. Seems like a no brainer but some folks don't bother laying down and simulating sleep. When I go to look at RVs I always slip off my shoes and lay on the bed as I'm sleeping. My kids are usually mortified but that's just part of the fun.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:36 AM   #6
Platinum Member

I don't know anything about the floorplan of the van in question bud if the sleeping arrangement is side to side it could get tedious having to climb over your spouse to get in and out of bed especially to potti in the middle of the night. Side to side sleepers also tend to not work well for tall people unless alone so they can sleep at an angle.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:36 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909 View Post
My kids are usually mortified but that's just part of the fun.
"...part of the fun" - lying down on the bed or mortifying your kids? or both?
Old 11-10-2015, 04:18 PM   #8
Platinum Member

if you are worried or suspect an odometer rollback- a quick look at the rubber on the pedals will tell you if it has 35K or 235K.

for a big purchase plan on having a Pro look at it for you- it is a cheap compared to a mistake.

We have a 2006 PW Lexor TD model- we went with the TD for the bed lay out- it works better for us than most B configurations.

the PW build quality is very good, the Chev part is A+

not sure what your experience or preferences are- our PW has worked out great- we bought a year ago, 3rd owners.
About 12,000 miles and about 60 nights in it incl a 32 day trip this summer
Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 03:41 AM   #9
Platinum Member

" we went with the TD for the bed lay out ".Glad yours works for you but what is that layout ?
Old 11-11-2015, 04:52 AM   #10
Bronze Member

I think you are wise to be cautious about the purchase with so many prior owners. Check it out-over, under, around, and through.
pebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:49 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909 View Post
what is that layout ?
The TD layout is 2 rear "sofas" fore and aft
the pass side is about 5'10" long and the driver side is longer, about 6'3".
If desired panels can be used to fill the center area and the sofa bolsters/backrests fit into the center to make one large bed.

this fits the two of us and our large dog

before we bought we rented a campervan in Ireland and we found that sideways sleepers don;t work well for us- bed length is an issue and also the middle of the night climb-over to use the can.
so a fore/aft sleeper was a prime consideration.

we also leave our bed permanently made up

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:23 PM   #12

Just wanted to update everyone about the 6-owner Lexor. It was in decent shape, but you could tell it had that many owners because things were missing here and there. The little things weren't taken care of. It would've been workable, but they were asking more than it was worth, and we liked the feel/space of the Excel better, so I think that's where we'll focus now.

Thanks, everyone!
MyJourneys is offline   Reply With Quote