Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2017, 11:24 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Looking for Van Style Leisure Travel Owners

I am the recent owner of a 2002 Leisure Travel Freedom 4M conversion van on a Dodge chassis. Naturally, due to its age, it came with some issues. Consequently I would like to run them by owners of similar units. Are there any of you out there? If so, I would appreciate hearing from you!
gksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:27 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I have a 2001 Roadtrek built on a Dodge Ram Van 3500 chassis with the 5.2L (318cu in) motor and 4 speed automatic transmission.

Steering issues and wandering at highway speeds seem to be the major complaints. Various fixes and adjustments can be done to make it acceptable.

Exactly which chassis do you have?
Old 03-20-2017, 06:48 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Mine also is the Ram Van 3500, but with the 5.9 engine, also with 4-speed automatic. We purchased it last November and have recently returned from southern California and Arizona for 2 months and 6,000 miles. We had no major issues--I was pleased with the handling in heavy California traffic. But the one issue that concerns me most right now is roof leakage. I do not find any major caulking problems, but I will probably have to re-caulk it to be sure. I have watched several YouTube videos, so I believe that I will give it a try. I will post other issues as time goes on.

Thanks for replying!
gksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:37 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to rbrtwareham

Quote:
Originally Posted by gksmith View Post
I am the recent owner of a 2002 Leisure Travel Freedom 4M conversion van on a Dodge chassis. Naturally, due to its age, it came with some issues. Consequently I would like to run them by owners of similar units. Are there any of you out there? If so, I would appreciate hearing from you!
I have a 2002 Freedom 2a. the only major issue is a leak, I have had a hell of a time trying to find, It is now at the dealers, for repairs. Hopefully they find it this time. everything on the roof has been resealed. What are your issues
rbrtwareham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Mine also is the Ram Van 3500, but with the 5.9 engine, also with 4-speed automatic. We purchased it last November and have recently returned from southern California and Arizona for 2 months and 6,000 miles. We had no major issues--I was pleased with the handling in heavy California traffic. But the one issue that concerns me most right now is roof leakage. I do not find any major caulking problems, but I will probably have to re-caulk it to be sure. I have watched several YouTube videos, so I believe that I will give it a try. I will post other issues as time goes on.

Thanks for replying!
I have a 2002 Freedom 2a. Had a hell of a time trying to get the leak fixed. Just got it back from the Dealer. raining here for the last 2 days, checked, ab=nd it seems to be finally fixed. Where is the water on the inside of the coach. I have had all the roof seams redone, and finally had it resealed around where the roof meets the body. by the time it was done it cost around 2 grand. If you have any questions, e mail me at rbrtwareham@yahoo.ca
Old 04-06-2017, 10:25 PM   #6

Quote:
check with a dealer, to find out what to use for caulking. I used silicone, and it didn't work. I don't know what the dealer used. but so far so good.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:36 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrtwareham View Post
check with a dealer, to find out what to use for caulking. I used silicone, and it didn't work. I don't know what the dealer used. but so far so good.
Probably the most popular sealant is Sikaflex in RVs. It seems to be quoted the most times. There are several grades but basically you are talking about a polyurethane product and not a hybrid of poly and acrylic or acrylic. There are many good pure polyurethane products. In fact stay away from most consumer sealants as most are acrylic or rubber. Even the best sealants have a reliable 10 year life span so any RV a decade old can be suspect. Silicone is better with up to 20 years of service but has its own drawbacks. For one, if it does fail, removal is difficult.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leisure travel freedom 4m