Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2018, 11:51 PM   #21
Gold Member

There's a Youtube channel called "We're the Russos" about a couple who full-time in an Aktiv. Worth checking out.

I meant to say earlier that I watched their youtube video with interest and found the way their dog has his own little space under the bed to be really functional. I absolutely LOVE the screen that pulls down on the back - and the screen on the side door. This I believe is a standard item on the Aktiv. It is an absolute must for me (one of only two, the other being NO slides).

I've been watching The Wynn's on Youtube as well, and the Fit RV couple. Maybe there is a hole in the market for a mom traveling with her son - we can start our own youtube channel!! Tour around checking out RV factories, etc.
indoorsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:04 AM   #22
Gold Member

I created a pdf (jpeg linked below) comparing the various versions I'm considering (all of which I will see this weekend with the exception of the Crossfit - the PW Lexor is not on here but most interested in checking it out at the show). I'm partial to three that have the extra bed option to allow for a kid or otherwise small person to come along and have a separate space to sleep. Seem most of the B class options are targeted to couples but some of these would work for me as well (at least from viewing on the internet).

I saw the Airstream Interstate this past weekend in Boston at the RV expo and it looks very cramped. Wondering if that will seem the case with these too. The LTV Unity seems enormous in comparison with the others.

https://ibb.co/f3Wbgm
Old 01-19-2018, 12:56 AM   #23
Platinum Member

Nice graphic! The Winnebago Travato 59G also has a forward facing seat and sleeps three so you might want to add that one, too.

I have seen options for placing a bed across the front seats of a Sprinter, but it might be awkward to get into and would only be for people under 5'2", I think. Others would know better than I.

A three-way fridge works on 12v, 120v or propane. Some people say they are finicky and will only run if within 30* of level. We have a compressor fridge, works on 12v or 120v. I like it a lot.

I think pretty much all vans have a roof vent/fan, usually either MaxAire or Fantastic - both are good.

Everything is a compromise - it you want room inside, you will need a bigger rig and it will be harder to park and drive. If you want to sleep three, that extra bed will take space and you will probably end up with a smaller bathroom and/or refrigerator.

That is why it is important to rent if you can, or at least spend a lot of time test driving any you are considering. It also helps to imagine things and pantomime them out, like cooking, going to the bathroom, making the bed, etc. Think about what and who you will be taking with you and where things will go.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:19 AM   #24
Platinum Member

The Safari Condo XL Flex (Promaster or Sprinter) is a beautiful, well thought out, quality build from Quebec. They will be at the Montreal and Quebec RV shows. Seats up to 4, Sleeps up to 5. We love ours.
AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:32 AM   #25
Platinum Member

Indoorsy... when you are checking out the LTV products be sure to also look at the Serenity. It has two seating (with belts for 4) and two sleeping areas that may meet your needs.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:09 AM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorsy View Post
Steve, Will definitely look at Booster's info - came across already. I am in the northern climate and the campgrounds I've been (primarily Maine) don't really get that hot. Seems so not worth it to put something in that is not only expensive but also potentially glitchy and worse of all give false positive about leaving the dog.

Glad to hear the roof fan is a good way to go. That is an option on the LTV's and I was curious if it was worth it. Sounds like it is...
To follow up on this the roof fan set on low speed with a window cracked open near where your head is makes for great cooling effect with the inrushing air. The effect is lessened if other windows are open.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:32 AM   #27
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJ View Post
The Safari Condo XL Flex (Promaster or Sprinter) is a beautiful, well thought out, quality build from Quebec. They will be at the Montreal and Quebec RV shows. Seats up to 4, Sleeps up to 5. We love ours.
When I had been looking at TT's, I loved the idea of the Alto. Can I ask?... how was the purchase of your Safari Condo- did you visit the factory, how long did it take, did you go through Can Am or direct? I had read somewhere that you supply the van and they do the build out. Is that correct? I saw that they will be there but thought it was just with a TT. Would love to chat with them. I love the modern style and know they are a quality product.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:40 AM   #28
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
Indoorsy... when you are checking out the LTV products be sure to also look at the Serenity. It has two seating (with belts for 4) and two sleeping areas that may meet your needs.
Most definitely will! My thought is a new one is likely too expensive for me but I am very open to buying used. I like the idea of the living room in the back (power sofa).
Old 01-19-2018, 11:44 AM   #29
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
Nice graphic! The Winnebago Travato 59G also has a forward facing seat and sleeps three so you might want to add that one, too.

I have seen options for placing a bed across the front seats of a Sprinter, but it might be awkward to get into and would only be for people under 5'2", I think. Others would know better than I.

A three-way fridge works on 12v, 120v or propane. Some people say they are finicky and will only run if within 30* of level. We have a compressor fridge, works on 12v or 120v. I like it a lot.

I think pretty much all vans have a roof vent/fan, usually either MaxAire or Fantastic - both are good.

Everything is a compromise - it you want room inside, you will need a bigger rig and it will be harder to park and drive. If you want to sleep three, that extra bed will take space and you will probably end up with a smaller bathroom and/or refrigerator.

That is why it is important to rent if you can, or at least spend a lot of time test driving any you are considering. It also helps to imagine things and pantomime them out, like cooking, going to the bathroom, making the bed, etc. Think about what and who you will be taking with you and where things will go.
I watched a couple of "We're the Russo's" youtube videos yesterday and they were saying exactly the same thing about the compromise - more space vs. being able to pull into normal parking spots, etc. -- they live full time in their Aktiv 2.0 with a dog! Apparently they belong to a nationwide gym and that is where they shower. I'd need more space for full timing but it was interesting watching them park it on a regular city street and pop out for a walk around. I really love that idea.

Thanks for the explanation on the fridge!
Old 01-19-2018, 11:47 AM   #30
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
To follow up on this the roof fan set on low speed with a window cracked open near where your head is makes for great cooling effect with the inrushing air. The effect is lessened if other windows are open.
thanks for sharing that. seems if one understands the physics and nuances of working the fan that it does quite a lot !!
Old 01-19-2018, 12:07 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
thanks for sharing that. seems if one understands the physics and nuances of working the fan that it does quite a lot !!
Yer quite welcome. Just one of the tidbits that I read somewhere.

Another tidbit I heard about with the fan for RoadTreks with the aisle shower is reversing the fan to blow in. It forces the shower curtain to expand a bit and give you more room in the "shower". This obviously only works if the fan is above the shower like it is in my older RT. This can be a bit invigorating when it's chilly out.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:36 PM   #32
Platinum Member

We were at the Toronto RV show yesterday i conjunction with our search for a Class B.

I had previously put together a short list of models that I felt would suit our needs, and three of the models on that last were on the show. Aktiv 2 / Pleasure Way Luxor TS, and
Roadtrek Zion.

From brochures and videos such as the Russo's we had thought the Aktiv 2 was a great layout with twin bed capability in the rear and fully rotating seats and dinette up front.

I would say however that having now been in one and compared to the others, for our tastes, we would have to now put it very low on our list or drop it entirely.

It just seemed too tight and claustrophobic inside - in particular the aisle way between the bathroom and galley - at 27" it is REALLY tight. We are not large people but even one of us pretty much had to negotiate the aisle sideways! Seating in the dinette was very cramped compared to that in our present AS trailer - but in a pinch could work.

The model we really liked was the PW Lexor - very open interior design, excellent bathroom, attractive curved cabinetry, bright appearance.

On the downside, rotation of the drivers seat is very limited - to the point I don't think we would use it and instead would just use the drivers seat as a catch all when parked.

I had initially thought that it would be very important for us to be able to rotate both front seats and be able to set up a table in front - I'm changing my views on that and I think we could live with putting the back sofa up and setting up the rear table daily as we would need to do in the Lexor.

In comparison to the Lexor, the Zion looked "just" ok - I will keep it on the list.

Somehow in comparison to the Lexor, although the layout was similar, the interior looked rather dated, dark and gloomy. Could be largely due to differences in cabinetry style and colour and the use of much darker upholstery in the particular one we saw - much less inviting. It was nevertheless sold by the time we left the RV show!

Anyway, a worthwhile visit - I still want to see a PW Plateau FL, a couple of model Roadtreks,(Adventurous / 190 pop and 210 pop) and also the Winnebago Travato 59K.

Lots to consider in making a decision!

Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:53 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
When I had been looking at TT's, I loved the idea of the Alto. Can I ask?... how was the purchase of your Safari Condo- did you visit the factory, how long did it take, did you go through Can Am or direct? I had read somewhere that you supply the van and they do the build out. Is that correct? I saw that they will be there but thought it was just with a TT. Would love to chat with them. I love the modern style and know they are a quality product.
Yes, we visited the factory and ordered through them. Smooth process. We delivered the empty van after picking it up in Vermont. Our wait was 13 months. Now it’s over 18. We weren’t in a hurry and it was definitely worth the wait. The queen size bed on the lift with our 4 bikes underneath is the bomb. We’ve put 24K miles on it in 14 months. No issues whatsoever.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:10 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Safari Condo do in fact just have a couple of TT's at the show - we spoke with the rep at CanAm's booth.

CanAm do have an AS Interstate "B" at the show, but apart from price considerations it is too large for our driveway without fouling the public sidewalk that crosses the drive.

In any event, for our use, the more I think about it, I like the idea of staying in the 21-22 ft range as a good compromise between space and driving/parking considerations.

I guess if we planned on full timing it could well be different.

Brian.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:45 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
I had initially thought that it would be very important for us to be able to rotate both front seats and be able to set up a table in front - I'm changing my views on that and I think we could live with putting the back sofa up and setting up the rear table daily as we would need to do in the Lexor.
………………………..
Brian.
We have rear sofa bed and fully functional front swiveled seats. For bed weather camping it is just about perfect for a "small" van (20'). For late evening hours we set the bed and use front seats for some computer work or just for watching TV. I wouldn’t discount the value of front rotating seats too quickly.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:05 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
We have rear sofa bed and fully functional front swiveled seats. For bed weather camping it is just about perfect for a "small" van (20'). For late evening hours we set the bed and use front seats for some computer work or just for watching TV. I wouldn’t discount the value of front rotating seats too quickly.
Ditto on the front rotating seats. Opens up the front of the van to the sliding door/big outdoors.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:38 PM   #37
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post

The model we really liked was the PW Lexor - very open interior design, excellent bathroom, attractive curved cabinetry, bright appearance.

On the downside, rotation of the drivers seat is very limited - to the point I don't think we would use it and instead would just use the drivers seat as a catch all when parked.

I have not seen it anywhere else but there is a youtube of 'Traveling Robert' visiting the Tampa RV show that is on right now and he was in the PW Lexor. The floorplan has changed as the closet that was right behind the driver seat has been moved to the back just left of the fridge. There is now space behind the driver seat and a flip up desk for the driver with AC and usb outlets. This is similar to the PW XLTS widebody. That means that this newer Lexor has 2 'useful' front seats when swivelled.

We swivel both are seats all the time as we moved our TV from the back of the RT to the front. We leave our bed down all the time so the front seats become the living room.

Here is the link. Fast forward to 6:25

Old 01-19-2018, 06:01 PM   #38
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Hi George, (and Alex,)

Many thanks for your input - I certainly like the idea of front rotating seats especially if they can be fully rotated - and even just one such rotating seat would be a plus.

I think all I am saying is for the models I have seen so far (except for the Aktiv 2), rotation of the drivers seat seems so restricted to me as to be no much use, and I thought we would not likely use the driver seat rotated. Passenger seat rotation is fine and we would use that at times I'm sure.

Even there however, in the Lexor - that we liked - with either seat, due to the front of the Promaster being raised, coupled with teh fact that we are both a bit vertically challeneged (!) our feet would dangle in space with teh seat rotated so I would need to devise some sort of footrest! Not sure if the same is true with teh Sprinter based units.

Brian
Old 01-19-2018, 06:24 PM   #39
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisefx View Post
I have not seen it anywhere else but there is a youtube of 'Traveling Robert' visiting the Tampa RV show that is on right now and he was in the PW Lexor. The floorplan has changed as the closet that was right behind the driver seat has been moved to the back just left of the fridge. There is now space behind the driver seat and a flip up desk for the driver with AC and usb outlets. This is similar to the PW XLTS widebody. That means that this newer Lexor has 2 'useful' front seats when swivelled.

We swivel both are seats all the time as we moved our TV from the back of the RT to the front. We leave our bed down all the time so the front seats become the living room.

Here is the link. Fast forward to 6:25

Great info, many thanks - that makes the Lexor look even to be a better choice for us!

I was interested in your comment about moving the tv up front - just curious what model B you have and if the TV can now be seen from both the rear and front of the van by two people. That seems the ideal arrangement to me - unless you have two tv's as in the Plateau FL.

I believe the Travato 59K positions the tv just aft of the sliding door so it can be seen from either end - although the Travato with its rear bathroom has a really open layout so makes this a natural.

Cheers ........ Brian. (Burlington Ont.)

(I noticed that Dave and Irene ("Carey on Vagabond vlog") are headed to Tampa in their Zion so perhaps they will have a video too.)
Old 01-19-2018, 06:41 PM   #40
Platinum Member

Amen on the raised floor. We’re short too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BCBCA31F-AB02-4052-B9D2-62813DBA2CD8.jpeg (96.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpeg 642BE01A-DD05-467F-A1EB-953500DA435A.jpeg (175.0 KB, 10 views)