Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2019, 05:28 PM   #41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyronecks View Post
Hey, Y'all! Getting ready for the first (belated) road trip and the macerator (not used since last summer) won't turn when the button is pushed. Dead silence. Fuse is OK. Can that "hand crank" break it loose? If so, is there any way to reach and turn it without taking the van (2007 Pop190) to a garage lift? If that doesn't help, what are further troubleshooting steps? House batteries may have problems, but we're hooked to shore AC. TIA
Did you check voltage at the macerator, seized motor should blow the fuse. Is there any noise when macerator is turned on.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:24 PM   #42
Bronze Member

My mistake about the fuse! Closer inspection shows both the old fuse and the new one I put in were indeed blown. So seized motor? Is that terminal, or could the hand crank free it? I'm not even sure I can see the pump, much less reach it. Thanks.
Kyronecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:32 PM   #43
Platinum Member

If motor bearing(s) are seized due to leak from the pump replacement is necessary. If seizure is on the impeller pump side turning the motor could be helpful if accessible from the motor back side. Impellers pumps in critical applications like marine engine cooling with sea water have to be maintain once per year, impeller replacement.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:48 PM   #44
Bronze Member

sighhh... I guess it's another trip to my local RV service center. Most likely requiring a new Shurflo macerator. My van ain't no boat, but it's still a "hole in the ocean you pour money into!"
Old 08-06-2019, 11:55 PM   #45
Gold Member

I replaced my macerater a couple years ago. It’s an easy (kind of nasty) job. The hardest part is getting the van high enough to work under it.
Greg 2006 190P
Thevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:36 AM   #46
Platinum Member

Default Yes it is....

Quote:
sighhh... I guess it's another trip to my local RV service center. Most likely requiring a new Shurflo macerator. My van ain't no boat, but it's still a "hole in the ocean you pour money into!"
I had this done... also needed two new gate valves and drained the tanks....

Entire job was just over $1,000.....

You know that an RV is a boat on wheels 😁😁😁.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:17 AM   #47
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thevon View Post
I replaced my macerater a couple years ago. It’s an easy (kind of nasty) job. The hardest part is getting the van high enough to work under it.
Greg 2006 190P

I suspect there's a whole fleet of "easy (kind of nasty) jobs" possible if we could solve that "hardest part"! I've actually been considering the advantages of a 25' trench in the driveway. After rainstorms I could swim laps, and on weekends re-enact the Battle of the Somme (already got a swagger stick). ( P.S. The smilies collection needs one of a thousand dollar bill in flames.)
Old 08-07-2019, 11:45 AM   #48
Platinum Member

Definitely consider upgrading the system design to be dual dump - meaning gravity or macerator capable - before spending $1,000 to replace what was there.

Here's a re-post of the link Booster posted earlier: http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...ions-3249.html

In that vintage Roadtrek the macerator pump was mounted upside down! The drain hole was on top but it should be on the bottom.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:44 PM   #49
Gold Member

When I replaced my macerater, I think it was about $100.00. I also replaced the gray and black tank gate valves since I was under there, for about $30. If anybody is paying $1000 to do this job, come see me. I can do it in about 30 minutes.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:08 PM   #50
Site Team

Quote:
I suspect there's a whole fleet of "easy (kind of nasty) jobs" possible if we could solve that "hardest part"! I've actually been considering the advantages of a 25' trench in the driveway. After rainstorms I could swim laps, and on weekends re-enact the Battle of the Somme (already got a swagger stick). ( P.S. The smilies collection needs one of a thousand dollar bill in flames.)
You can solve the "hardest part" with a quick trip to the "cull" department of your local lumber provider:

Lift f.jpg

Lift.jpg

Honestly, if you can find somebody to replace it for $100, then go for it. If it is much more, do it yourself.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:11 PM   #51
Bronze Member

Thanks much, Mark. I'm sure your advice is invaluable, and I would like to follow it. My only 3 questions are: 1. What is a dual dump? (Something you operate in front of your neighbor's house, if he won't return your lawnmower?) 2. Who will perform the work? (I haven't dug my 25' trench yet.) and 3. How much will I be charged?
You guys forget that I'm no Booster! I can't build an improved RoadTrek (should be called a BoostTrek!) from homemade parts. I started out a couple days ago reading that thread you mention, but suffered an attack of deja vu. I woke up that night screaming "Photog's Lift! Photog's Lift!" Photog's thread saved my bacon 7 years ago, but I didn't do the mod! Some of your Soul Brothers in Corvallis OR did it, adding some inspired grace notes of their own.

Tell you what: You come to CT and give me "duelin' dumpers", and I'll teach your kids marine biology!
Old 08-07-2019, 01:23 PM   #52
Bronze Member

Quote:
Thanks much, Mark. I'm sure your advice is invaluable, and I would like to follow it. My only 3 questions are: 1. What is a dual dump? (Something you operate in front of your neighbor's house, if he won't return your lawnmower?) 2. Who will perform the work? (I haven't dug my 25' trench yet.) and 3. How much will I be charged?
You guys forget that I'm no Booster! I can't build an improved RoadTrek (should be called a BoostTrek!) from homemade parts. I started out a couple days ago reading that thread you mention, but suffered an attack of deja vu. I woke up that night screaming "Photog's Lift! Photog's Lift!" Photog's thread saved my bacon 7 years ago, but I didn't do the mod! Some of your Soul Brothers in Corvallis OR did it, adding some inspired grace notes of their own.

Tell you what: You come to CT and give me "duelin' dumpers", and I'll teach your kids marine biology!

Added in press: If you were under there, Thevon, you're considerably skinnier than I am! I can get one arm under. Like those photos, Avanti, but it looks like you're about a quarter inch from deep depression!
Old 08-07-2019, 01:29 PM   #53
Site Team

Quote:
Added in press: If you were under there, Thevon, you're considerably skinnier than I am! I can get one arm under. Like those photos, Avanti, but it looks like you're about a quarter inch from deep depression!
These ramps are incredibly stable. Just like parking on the pavement. If you are worried, it is easy enough to add safety lips. I have never missed them. Of course, you can also make them as long as you feel necessary.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:38 PM   #54
Bronze Member

I'd be worried about smashing my thumb while nailing the boards together! Surviving that, I'd worry about turning the wrong thing under there and drowning in my driveway!
Old 08-07-2019, 01:39 PM   #55
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks much, Mark. I'm sure your advice is invaluable, and I would like to follow it. My only 3 questions are: 1. What is a dual dump? (Something you operate in front of your neighbor's house, if he won't return your lawnmower?) 2. Who will perform the work? (I haven't dug my 25' trench yet.) and 3. How much will I be charged?.................

Your sense of humor re: this stuff is great!

A dual dump setup allows you to choose either gravity dumping or macerator dumping. I should have suggested that you: 1. find a tech who will consider doing the mod for you & 2. send the link I re-posted to tech to give them an idea of what is involved.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:01 PM   #56
Bronze Member

I've learned where the stuff comes out with a macerator dump - the end of the green hose. What about a "gravity dump"? Will I need a bedpan? "Find a tech" You techies must think you grow on trees! Obviously you've never been to eastern Connecticut. Trees we got; techies not.

We could put you up in the guest room, but you haven't given me your quote yet.
Old 08-07-2019, 03:27 PM   #57
Platinum Member

Possibly 99% of RV's are gravity dump setups. They're used at dump stations or full hookup campsites as your macerator setup is.

Back in 2005 & prior some Roadtrek owners added macerators and I added one to my 190P pretty much copying what had been done by others.

I did not want a failed macerator to be a trip altering event so I made sure to only need a screwdriver (and gloves) to be able to remove the macerator at a dump station outside of the footprint of the van.

An improvement to the remove it at a dump station idea is making it dual (macerator or gravity) dump capable.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:31 PM   #58
Gold Member

I made ramps out of 2x12’s as tall as they would fit under the ground effects and it
Was still a tight fit. I wish I knew someone with a pit I could drive over. I’ve heard of some people driving one side up on a curb to get their RT raised on one side.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:48 PM   #59
Platinum Member

Default Labor rate.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
You can solve the "hardest part" with a quick trip to the "cull" department of your local lumber provider:

Attachment 7926

Attachment 7927

Honestly, if you can find somebody to replace it for $100, then go for it. If it is much more, do it yourself.
I have no idea where you live, but, labor rate is $130 per hour and my shop is very quick, honest and professional. They don't do things half way....

And the Shurflo part is over $200.....

I also needed to get the tanks drained and the both gate valves replaced........

$100....yeah.... I don't know anyone who is going to do quality work for this price...... where in the world did you figure that??? You might as well just tell this person to do it yourself..... with a response like that..... ridiculous.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:03 PM   #60
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
I have no idea where you live, but, labor rate is $130 per hour and my shop is very quick, honest and professional. They don't do things half way....

And the Shurflo part is over $200.....

I also needed to get the tanks drained and the both gate valves replaced........

$100....yeah.... I don't know anyone who is going to do quality work for this price...... where in the world did you figure that??? You might as well just tell this person to do it yourself..... with a response like that..... ridiculous.
Yeah, we know all about your "professionals".

$130/hour. 20 minute job. = $44.

BTW: A Shurflo macerator can be had for less than $140 on Amazon. Less if you shop around. Of course, from a "professional"....