Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2018, 10:10 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Macerator pump

My Carado Banff came with the regular sewer hose for dumping can I switch to a 1/2 in hose with a cap that has adapter to hook a hose to it. I find that the 3 in hose too hard to store.
Tks Joe
mira1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:49 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Not sure I understand - if your van has a macerator I don't think it would have a 3 inch hose - unless you have a dual dump arrangement that allows you to use either gravity dump or a macerator.

In any event, I don't have a macerator, but everything I read about them seems to say a half inch hose is too small and you need at lest 3/4" and better 1"

Brian
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:58 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Default macerator

MY Banff does have a macerator pump as there is a red button I have to press in order to dump it has a regular opening for dumping and wondering why it came with the regular hose for dumping and if it can be modified for a smaller diameter hose for easier storage.
Just clarify my earlier post.
Tks Joe
Old 09-10-2018, 01:08 PM   #4
Platinum Member

It sounds like the Banf has the Zion dual dumping system on it, which is a primary macerator system that would have a 1" hose and a gravity backup system that would have the 3" hose.

The other possibility is that the macerator is just to get the waste from the toilet to tank or from one tank to another, and then the main dump is gravity.

Both systems are used in various vans.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:56 PM   #5

The macerator manual indicates to use at least 1inch internal diameter hose.
BTY how about you join the FaceBook "Carado owners group"?
merakano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:39 PM   #6
Platinum Member

From the Carrado Banff website specs

Quote:
Sewage disposal system – 12 V macerating toilet and gravity dump

So as was mentioned earlier, it has a macerator to get the toilet stuff to another tank so it can be gravity dumped from there.

No option of another hose for the final dump unless another macerator pump was added, so the OP is stuck with gravity dumping with the 3" slinky.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:49 PM   #7
Bronze Member

I have the additional macerator pump there is a 1" hose that goes to a 3in outlet when I hook up my 3in hose and pull the valve nothing happens till I press the red button on door jam then it dumps.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:23 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I just read about the Carado Banff on the Hymer website. I am totally unfamiliar with this rv and just trying to expand my knowledge. I find that it has a combo tank: black and gray go into the same 23 gallon tank then apparently is macerated for discharge into a standard slinky hose.

Is that the way it works? Like I say, I am just curious.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:37 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mira1 View Post
I have the additional macerator pump there is a 1" hose that goes to a 3in outlet when I hook up my 3in hose and pull the valve nothing happens till I press the red button on door jam then it dumps.
Sounds like it depends on where the second macerator discharges. Not sure why they'd have it discharge into a 3" hose.

In my Airstream Avenue, I too have a macerator toilet to get the poo from the bathroom over to the black tank. Then, I have a second macerator pump positioned after the gray/black dump valves that discharges through it's own 1" hose. The macerator is permanently mounted but it just twists onto the 3" bayonet fitting and is supported by a large "U" clamp.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:37 PM   #10

I have a Banff. You dump it by connecting the 3 inch hose and then pressing the red macerator pump button in the driver side door frame. The Carado Owners Facebook group is a better place to get help from actual owners of the Banff and the other Carado model, the Axion. Also helpful for the Sunlight v1 an v2 from camping world.
csaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:55 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csaaeger View Post
I have a Banff. You dump it by connecting the 3 inch hose and then pressing the red macerator pump button in the driver side door frame.
If that is true, it is a pretty poor use of a macerator. IMO, the whole point of a macerator is so that you can have a fully-sealed 1" hose, and never have to mess with a Stinky Slinky.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 02:55 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
If that is true, it is a pretty poor use of a macerator. IMO, the whole point of a macerator is so that you can have a fully-sealed 1" hose, and never have to mess with a Stinky Slinky.
I agree. The 1" hose is integral to the macerator process.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:31 PM   #13
Bronze Member

Default macerator

I talk to a factory rep today he couldn't give me a answer as to why they use a 3in slinky with a macerator and admitted that it would work a lot better with 1in or even 3/4in discharge hose I told him mine came with a cap with a 3/4in
fitting that covers the discharge opening that would handle a 3/4in hose and he said that would probably work good better then the slinky so am going to give it try on my next outing. (he mentioned word warranty??)

Joe
Old 09-23-2018, 09:24 PM   #14

just looking at some videos. it appears that they gave the the 3 inch hose so you can use it with the separate gray water tank from the kitchen sink. I guess so you wouldn't have to carry two hoses.
BKAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:36 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAP View Post
just looking at some videos. it appears that they gave the the 3 inch hose so you can use it with the separate gray water tank from the kitchen sink. I guess so you wouldn't have to carry two hoses.
Hmmm.
Is there any way you can permanently attach a permanent small-diameter capped hose to the macerator output somewhere where it could be stored without removing?

You don't know what you are missing.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote