Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2019, 11:11 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Manual Macerator Engagement

In the effort to troubleshoot a potentially faulty light for the holding tank, I manually operated the macerator knob/handle. I noticed that there was very little "engagement" when I rotated the knob/handle clockwise then counter-clockwise. I would expect there would be some resistance when moving it back and force even when there was or is nothing stuck in there. However, that it is why I am posting.....I have no idea what kind of resistance I would encounter when using the knob/handle when:

a) there is something "stuck", suspect that is is relative to what is stuck....will give you that; and,
b) there is nothing "stuck" at all.

What have y'all found when moving the knob/handle?

Stevan
stevanpierce@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:13 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevanpierce@gmail.com View Post
In the effort to troubleshoot a potentially faulty light for the holding tank, I manually operated the macerator knob/handle. I noticed that there was very little "engagement" when I rotated the knob/handle clockwise then counter-clockwise. I would expect there would be some resistance when moving it back and force even when there was or is nothing stuck in there. However, that it is why I am posting.....I have no idea what kind of resistance I would encounter when using the knob/handle when:

a) there is something "stuck", suspect that is is relative to what is stuck....will give you that; and,
b) there is nothing "stuck" at all.

What have y'all found when moving the knob/handle?

Stevan

Did you push the rod into the pump so it engaged the motor shaft?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:23 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Did you push the rod into the pump so it engaged the motor shaft?
I did and would have expected more. It may be me getting used to operating the macerator.
stevanpierce@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:12 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Good luck on figuring out why the tank lights are inaccurate. They are notorious for being near useless. On my Roadtrek, they have never been reliable, even when I know the tank is empty. I’ve learned to never add fresh water without also dumping is the way to go.

Your macerator pump probably looks something like the drawing at https://www.pentair.com/content/dam/...ne/911-566.pdf. This document says MAINTENANCE TIP!
Loosen stuck impeller by turning motor shaft clockwise from rear with a flat- tipped screwdriver.

Sooner or later the impeller (part #9) will go. When mine wore out, I had it replaced and kept the old one and got the rebuild kit and now keep it around as a spare.

Engaging the knob requires pushing it in very hard on my Roadtrek as it is a somewhat flexible shaft and rotating until it engages the screw slot. Look underneath your Roadtrek and see if the knob shaft is really engaging the flat bladed screw slot. There should be some resistance.
Knit is offline   Reply With Quote