Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2019, 04:11 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Mattress Advice.

I'm thinking about getting some mattresses for our 97 PW. You can set it up as 2 "singles" or connect them as a "queen" but we've found that leaving them as twins is much less hassle. Wife made fitted sheets for the bottom and a top sheet that's fitted at the bottom inside corner. We leave them made up with quilts over them in the day.

OK, the details. The existing mattresses double as the dinette seating base. They have a solid board as the bottom, foam on top and fabric on the top of that. Most of you know the MO.

Has anyone ever replaced these with a more comfortable mattress? Did you make a platform to compensate for the built in bottom to the existing mattress? Did you go with foam (seems like I'd be replacing existing with nearly the same thing)? Anyone try a custom spring mattress?

Any observations greatly appreciated.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:16 AM   #2
Platinum Member

You could consider Froli springs - Froli Sleep Systems by Nickle Atlantic, LLC Light weight and customizable.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:35 PM   #3
Platinum Member

George: I've looked at Froli and they appear to be an interesting solution for creating a comfortable bed. My issue is that I have a cabinet that overhangs at the foot of the bed which means the total springs/mattress combo can't be more than c.6". Is the Froli setup one where the mattress/pad itself is thin?
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:50 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I believe Froli has 3 different systems starting with 1 3/8” high. They are well established in EU and are gaining foothold in NA. I considered Froli in 2013 during my Sprinter conversion but wasn’t sure if their business in NA will be successful. The local upholstery shop never used Froli, so in order to minimize conversion risks I went with foam only. Today I would choose Froli.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:14 PM   #5
Gold Member

I bought the inexpensive green tea infused multi layer foam mattresses from Amazon. To make my couch/sleeper in my tiny house and to replace the cheap foam in my Sprinter Roadtrek Agile. It's I expensive so I didn't fret cutting it up and comfortable. I sleep on one of the thicker ones everyday.
bigfelipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:58 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Someone else on this forum told me about this company and said they will make a custom mattress to fit. Home | Minnesota Mattress Factory Store - Sleep Great, Live Better.

Currently I have a convoluted foam mattress pad on top of my mattress in my Roadtrek. I'm also using the twin bed style and find the seat cushion a bit too hard. Other people mentioned using a 1" memory foam pad on top of the seat cushion. I actually saw a photo of a Class B for sale where someone had actually put a real twin mattress in place of one of the seat cushions, and they had the seat cushion on the other side. That doesn't look like a practical option though since it takes up half of the aisle.
Pam G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:15 PM   #7

Can anyone tell me the wattage out of a single solar panel that Coachmen installs on the Li3 Crossfit/Beyond?
Dtolley2013@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:14 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
I'm thinking about getting some mattresses for our 97 PW. You can set it up as 2 "singles" or connect them as a "queen" but we've found that leaving them as twins is much less hassle. Wife made fitted sheets for the bottom and a top sheet that's fitted at the bottom inside corner. We leave them made up with quilts over them in the day.

OK, the details. The existing mattresses double as the dinette seating base. They have a solid board as the bottom, foam on top and fabric on the top of that. Most of you know the MO.

Has anyone ever replaced these with a more comfortable mattress? Did you make a platform to compensate for the built in bottom to the existing mattress? Did you go with foam (seems like I'd be replacing existing with nearly the same thing)? Anyone try a custom spring mattress?

Any observations greatly appreciated.
Hi, I also have a PW (2004) and have beds set up as twin, but as it is just me, I use one side as a bed, added an extension on the bed side that extends the width of bed out to meet the table stand, and put a 4 inch Memory Foam Mattress on top of the “sofa” cushions, then cover it all with my mattress pad, then sheets, etc..use regular twin sheets..
I think bed is about 30” wide w/ my extension..(more room to roll over!)
NFRicaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:05 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I didn't read the thread but there is also that company

https://www.mattressinsider.com