Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2012, 01:20 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Maybe the ultimate hitch mounted cargo carrier for a B van

I saw this Vélo Combo 101 swing away hitch mounted cargo carrier in Safari Condo's showroom:

Hitch mount, clear swing away, lights, license plate holder, storage rack/cart, bikes go on top of it............. What more could a Class B Owner want?

Oh yeah, it was like $1,700 or $1,800 .........

http://nicova.ca/en/products/

[youtube:jijw8bz8]AD2T24EGN74[/youtube:jijw8bz8]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 094.JPG (267.2 KB, 4724 views)
File Type: jpg 103.JPG (226.1 KB, 4721 views)
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:38 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Maybe the ultimate hitch mounted cargo carrier for a B v

The Nicova website has been updated in both French and English. http://nicova.ca/en/products/

The 64? x 24? x 20? Vélo Combo 101 is listed here: http://nicova.ca/en/products-series-100/

The smaller 54? x 24? x 16? Vélo Combo 401 is listed here http://nicova.ca/en/products-series-400/

Sometimes I still think I should have bought one when I was in Quebec. However, I see that they offer overnight parking...... I could always take a trip....

Quote:
There is ample space in our workshop for installation and maintenance. We can meet with you there to discuss your specific needs and to provide an estimate of the cost of the adjustments, if applicable.

Finally, customers who have travelled long distances can make a request in advance to park their recreational vehicle on the NICOVA property and stay overnight during their time in the workshop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nicova.jpg (62.9 KB, 4194 views)
File Type: jpg 101 on Winnebago ERA.jpg (118.2 KB, 4188 views)
File Type: jpg 101 on Leisure Travel.jpg (115.2 KB, 4188 views)
Old 05-21-2013, 01:35 AM   #3
Platinum Member

OMG. Thanks for posting this.

I would buy one of these in a heartbeat. It would even be cost effective for me. I would save money and not get a rear tire carrier and put the spare tire in or under the RV and also forget the loud and expensive Onan generator and carry a quieter portable that I could use in more places. Two bikes on top and ready to go. Thanks again.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
Platinum Member

What it would be useful for me, would be using that to store a tiny 1000 watt inverter generator (which would be placed underneath when running), so I can keep the house batteries from completely discharging if dry camping in cold weather. If I need more wattage than that, I fire up the coach's onboard genset. That would take care of running everything but the A/C or the microwave as well.

I can also either keep the bike rack, or remove it and install a set of RotoPax pack mounts which would allow for some additional fuel containers to be brought along and stored in a secure manner.

If I were going on a long trip, this rack would be a must have. I just wonder if the doors are metal, since one thing I'd probably do is see about adding a hockey puck hasp onto it. It won't discourage the serious thieves, but would encourage the casual tweakers to go somewhere else for easier pickings.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I couldn't tell from the pictures if model 101 covered up part of the rear lights on a Sprinter. I know the box itself has tail lights but it would be nice if the box just came to the door hinges. Does anyone know?

The box would also be useful for carrying several 20 pound propane tanks for extended dry camping during hot weather. The Marshall Extend-A-Stay on the horizontal propane tank gives one additional flexibility to manage propane usage during hot weather.
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:46 AM   #6
Platinum Member

I don't know for sure but think the Sprinter lights will be blocked a bit. More visible from a distance and more blocked the closer the trailing vehicle is. I found another photo:

When I enlarge that photo it looks to me that the 101 comes right to the inner edge of the Sprinter light assembly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101 on Sprinter.jpg (113.7 KB, 4060 views)
Old 05-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I wonder if it comes with a light kit. If it does, likely a four pin connector, that would help mitigate the fact that it partially obscures the taillights.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:16 AM   #8
Platinum Member

This bike carrier with cargo rack is a good low cost idea if the Combo 101 at $1,800 plus is not in the budget

$120 plus shipping and handling. http://www.discountramps.com/hitch-cargo-carrier.htm

I was working on building something similar today and decided to Google it tonight. I'm going incorporate a cargo box and some slides to maintain access to both doors. It would be pretty easy to do the same with the one in the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hitch-cargo-carrier-bccc-2.jpg (68.8 KB, 3928 views)
Old 05-30-2013, 01:34 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Link to my DIY Sliding cargo box with bike rack: http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...hp?f=12&t=2616

I'll use it all summer to see if interferes with how we travel then I'll know if it is worth buying something better.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:53 AM   #10
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
I saw this Vélo Combo 101 swing away hitch mounted cargo carrier in Safari Condo's showroom:

Hitch mount, clear swing away, lights, license plate holder, storage rack/cart, bikes go on top of it............. What more could a Class B Owner want?

Oh yeah, it was like $1,700 or $1,800 .........

http://nicova.ca/en/products/

[youtube:2aw6u65r]AD2T24EGN74[/youtube:2aw6u65r]
I saw this cargo carrier at a recent rally I attended in Michigan. A fellow from Utah travelled to Quebec to get one. He also got the included bike rack as well. He had it installed on his 2010 ERA. Looked very sharp and practical with tons of space for everything they wanted to carry. He did stay overnight parked on site apparently. He seemed very pleased with the unit.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover
Karsty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:11 AM   #11
Platinum Member

The Combo 101 description says it has a limit of 150 pounds. Does this limit include the bikes on top as well as what is stored inside?

Barry
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #12
Platinum Member

My guess is that it is the total - in or on it - but it seems low compared to others. Maybe send an email. It is possible that the rating is based on the minimum class hitch allowed.
The StowAway has 200 lb capacity. http://www.stowaway2.com/hitch-cargo-carriers.aspx
The Rola lists capacity at 250 pounds in the install instructions. http://www.rolaproducts.com/content/...015&part=59109
Let's Go Aero lists capacity at 300 pounds. http://www.letsgoaero.com/products-p...e-hitch-boxes/
Old 06-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #13
Platinum Member

The actual stowing capacity is more a function of your B and not the carrier. For instance, I have a LetsGoAero 20 with a 300 lb. capacity but found with my former 2005 Pleasure-way Plateau Sprinter the realistic maximum was 150 lbs. of stored items before the front end felt loose and squirrely. The unit itself with carrier and landing gear weighed 120 lbs. Tongue weight capacity was 500 lbs. but you have to factor in leverage as well.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Good point. At the bottom of this page: http://www.visualsc.com/hitch_calc.htm there is a chart that shows the de-rating of the tongue weight caused by an extension.

For example, the max tongue weight with an 18" extension on a Class III hitch is reduced to 300lbs from the original 500 lbs.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:02 AM   #15
Silver Member

Markopolo
I have sent out e-mails twice to the company asking about information on that ultimate cargo carrier that you described and had the nice pictures of, and have heard nothing back either time. I would really be interested in possibly purchasing one of their units, but they must be doing a great business and not worried about getting new customers. I am interested in that combo 101 I think, but only if I can get in touch with them. Any good idea's? I watched the video on it, and the person was not speaking any english, do you think they only answer e-mails from french speaking folks?
FMCA #376666
Barman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:15 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Last month I got a reply (perfect English) 3 days after sending an email. They apologized for the delay and provided all the info I asked for.

I used the contact form on their website. You could try that or info@nicova.ca (514) 285-6363