Old 04-30-2012, 11:54 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Meaning of MSRP?

On a new van conversaion (diesel) I've been quoted a 4 and a half % discount from MSRP, which seems low to me. What would be an average percentage discount from MSRP? I'd expect better than that on a new car. Are van conversions different?

VanGoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:33 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Meaning of MSRP?

Class B RV dealers typically offer about 15% off and never less than 10% off MSRP at RV shows. I suspect that is nothing special. I got 23% off on my 2005 Pleasure-way Plateau but that was a special case of a dealer ridding himself of his last B and getting out of the business. I walked on a 2005 Leisure Travel Van at that time after several comebacks down to 15%. I'm not sure exactly what I got off on my 2011 GWV Legend because I traded in the Plateau and we discussed only a bottom line price difference. Not knowing exactly what the dealer put toward the trade in I would still have to guess better than 15%. It's negotiating. Set a price and be prepared to walk. Buying a B is not like buying a car. It's a want, not a need in my mind. That means you should have the advantage.

This question comes up occasionally in discussion forums. From reading others I would guess somewhere from 12-18%. Anything over 18% seems rare for B's. There are always exceptions of course. Other types of RVs seem to get discounted at higher rates. B's are still relatively dear. You never see a sea of them on RV lots like you do trailers and 5th wheelers. So many B's have to be ordered. In buying a car that was always less of an advantage to the buyer than taking one off the lot in my experience.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Thanks for the response. I did walk away, but I was surprised there was no effort to come down even a tiny bit on price.

I'd be interested if other owners would weigh in on this...is 10% - 15% about what most of you experienced?
VanGoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
Platinum Member

We bought our Roadtrek 190 as a 2007 model sold in 2008, and got 26% off of MSRP. It was just before a price increase on their new style, which ours is, so it was a very good deal. Like Davydd. ours was at a dealer getting our of the B business.

Before we bought, we were finding that the best we could find on a current model was about 18% off of MSRP, and that was very hard to find. 10% seemed pretty easy. 15% much more common.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
Platinum Member

When I bought my 2011 Great West Van Legend I was thinking I was making myself vulnerable because I drove nearly 500 miles to Winnipeg, Manitoba to see it under construction and spent 2 nights in Winnipeg. That cost was nearly $500 that we wrote off as just another vacation seeing Winnipeg for the first time and got in some snowshoeing. It got down to 27F below zero too in February.

I negotiated the deal from the Great West Van factory with two phone calls. That does make it kind of difficult to walk away with our commitment in time and money. Still, I knew I was negotiating with a good dealer with a great reputation. I had a maximum price I could afford and we managed to come together on the deal rather easily. The dealer was just as vulnerable I think. He knew my van for trade in from seeing it in person and also had access to my history and voluminous photos online, but was still willing to negotiate sight unseen at the time.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote