Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2019, 10:21 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Medical ID in case of Emergency

We all try and control the things around us and keep alert when things fall apart. We try and keep our world safe as well as our family members. But "WHAT IF YOU HAVE NO CONTROL" who can help you? Help you tell the doctors of any medical conditions that you or a family member may have?

It is my hope this never happens to you. But let's say for example you're out driving when an accident happens? You may be out rock climbing and take a fall? Maybe just walking down a street and attacked and knocked unconscious. Who can tell the rescuers who you are? Blood type? the phone number of someone to be contacted for you? Some may have medical conditions that require medications.

A first responder is trained to help you, but only to a point. They do not know your medical report card of health, they do not know who you would like contacted. Or maybe your child has fallen did you know you can still be in charge and help the first responders help your family member(s) even yourself when you can not talk to them.

On your, iPhone is a FREE APP from Apple called "MEDICAL ID" The APP is a WHITE SQUARE with a RED HEART inside.

The responding first responder only has to pick up your IPhone even if LOCKED and on the locked screen on the bottom is "EMERGENCY" next they will see the words "MEDICAL ID" once they press it will only open your medical ID information you want a first responder POLICE OFFICER or FIRE PARAMEDIC personnel to know about you.

Here is how you set this MEDICAL APP on your iPhone up for yourself or a family member. Click on the MEDICAL ID APP, On the bottom are four little menu selections, select the called MEDICAL ID gray cross bars.

enter your NAME, Medical Conditions, Medical Notes, Allergies & Reactions, Medications, Blood Type, Emergency Contact(s).

Now with every APP, you will have to make some setting changes. Here attached is more helpful information for you about how to set up the APP on your own iPhone.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207021
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 05:41 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I've had this App filled in for about a year. Even showed it to my doctor on my last visit. Just hope a first responder will be smart enough to use it if I have an emergency. I always carry my phone with me.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:58 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I've had this App filled in for about a year. Even showed it to my doctor on my last visit. Just hope a first responder will be smart enough to use it if I have an emergency. I always carry my phone with me.
Morning Boxster1971,

Many of them are trained to do that very thing. Have you ever wondered how your personal belongings find their way back to you after an auto accident? First responders and trained to look for Medical Alert items. Good question, thank you for asking.
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:11 PM   #4

This app is also available for android phones, so don’t any of you feel you’re unable to use it. Note, it is also FREE for android.

Another suggestion I’d make is a RoadID bracelet. I have both the app, on my phone, and a bracelet on my wrist when traveling. The app is free and the bracelets are relatively inexpensive. Speaking from experience, they can save your life!

Thanks for posting on this topic, DogMan.
BigBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 04:09 PM   #5
Platinum Member

About fifteen years ago, I purchased a Neck Chain with a Medical Alert - gives your Name, Hospital, ID#, and Specifies the most notable condition, plus blood type. I bought it because of a couple of heart attacks. Ron
Old 05-27-2019, 05:11 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I keep my iPhone secure. How could anyone access it for the information if I can’t? If I can then I could tell them directly.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:30 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I keep my iPhone secure. How could anyone access it for the information if I can’t? If I can then I could tell them directly.
1) Set up your Medical ID using the HEALTH app.
2) With a locked phone, swipe up from the bottom to get to the "Enter Password" screen. Do not enter your code and do not unlock the phone with your face or fingerprint).
3) On the lower left, click on EMERGENCY
4) On the "Emergency call" screen, click "*Medical ID" on the lower left.

Yes, emergency personnel are supposed to know this.

This is the big advantage of using the Manufacturer's built-in Medical ID system, rather than a third-party app.

BTW: The Health App is capable of downloading your standard electronic medical records from your health provider. Few hospitals support this yet, but I'm sure it will catch on eventually.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:55 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBee View Post
This app is also available for android phones, so don’t any of you feel you’re unable to use it. Note, it is also FREE for android.

Another suggestion I’d make is a RoadID bracelet. I have both the app, on my phone, and a bracelet on my wrist when traveling. The app is free and the bracelets are relatively inexpensive. Speaking from experience, they can save your life!

Thanks for posting on this topic, DogMan.
I second both the RoadID app and bracelet. The app is available for Android and IPhones. You can set it up to contact up to five people when you start a hike / run / bicycle ride, and once they have that initial message, they can check your progress via e-crumbs that the app creates along the way. There is also a feature (can be turned off permanently, or temporarily if you stop for a snack, etc.) that will alert your contacts if you haven't moved for five minutes. I figure this will be handy for my wife to know what ditch to collect me out of when I'm on my bike rides.

On the bracelet, you can have up to six lines of data (only five on some narrower models). For an extra charge, you can get that much more data engraved on the back. So on mine, the lowest line says "more info on back", and one of the lines on the back says "camping? - [and then my camper registration & state]) - this so if we're a long way from home, they might go looking in the local campgrounds for it if the phone contacts for my wife don't work.
dicktill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:41 AM   #9
Platinum Member

I used the Road ID bracelet when I was motorcycle touring, but to be honest, the "laser engraving" of the info didn't seem to hold up too well to normal wear and became quite hard to read - I suppose someone might have been able to figure it out with a maginfying glass!

I stopped using it in the end - still ave it someplace I think - now, I just used to carry a few plastic laminated cards made up with emergency contact info o the back of one of our vistaprint business cards we had made up for RV trips!

I still keep a few of those around and use them in pack sacks, in the van, or in a pocket if I am out hiking alone. Couldn't hurt, could help, and costs next to nothing!
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:43 AM   #10
Platinum Member

I believe"emergency" info can be accessed ny anyone finding the phone - even if the phone is password locked - makes sense I guess!

Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:54 PM   #11
Platinum Member

If you have an iPhone, have you tried it?

It is designed to be accessed without unlocking the phone. Your choice to use it or not of course. Virtually instant access to a few critical pieces of information while you might be otherwise incapacitated could mean the difference of living or not. Everything still requires the phone to be unlocked to access.
Storysrvwego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:35 PM   #12
Gold Member

I am a registered EMT in California. A First responder will not look in your wallet or cell phone. We are trained to look for med alert bracelets and necklaces but not on your cell phone or in your wallet.

It is possible that the admitting hospital may do that depending on their protocols but in the field frankly, there is no time for that.
kmessinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 11:34 PM   #13
Platinum Member

I have all my information in my wallet.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:59 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmessinger View Post
I am a registered EMT in California. A First responder will not look in your wallet or cell phone. We are trained to look for med alert bracelets and necklaces but not on your cell phone or in your wallet.

It is possible that the admitting hospital may do that depending on their protocols but in the field frankly, there is no time for that.
I have no data concerning what percentage of EMTs look to these phone apps for medical data. But, I would bet a lot of money that if it is not yet common, it will very soon become SOP.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 05:55 PM   #15
Gold Member

When an EMT arrives on scene he/she has mere minutes to decide whether it is a "load and go" or a "stay and play". There is no time to look "through" a cell phone for data that may or may not be there. But your point is well taken. If through some internationally recognized program, information could be stored with a one-button activation, and access is HIPPA compliant that information could be helpful if time allows.

Until then we have MedicAlert. https://www.medicalert.org/
  • Internationally recognized Medical IDs
  • An online Emergency Health Record that members can maintain and
  • access from anywhere, at any time
  • 24/7 Emergency Response Team with access to members' health
    records and trained to provide critical information to first responders

All my protocols are county directed (http://ems.acgov.org/ems-assets/docs...rint-10-16.pdf I am not sure what other states do but it probably is similar.

For your personnel first aid this is a good start. Minimum 1st Aid for the boonies and cities.pdf

Sorry for the long post.
kmessinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:07 PM   #16
Platinum Member

A place that I use to work requested that we add an ICE (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Case_of_Emergency) contact on our phone. I still have it as part of my screen saver. Granted, I think they were more concerned for us when we were in Europe were it is used because I have never come across someone in the US who heard of it. Still I hope someone sees the number and calls it. As I think of it, ICE would probably mean something else to everyone today.
MobileCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 11:53 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Some people don't bother to carry a cell phone on their person in a vehicle. How does one know to look for it or whether it belongs to a person if there are several people involved.

Having been in an emergency with an EMT team (not an accident) I can tell you no one looks for or asks you for a cell phone or wallet. If you can communicate, they might ask you if the circumstances indicate a need.

It is probably good to have as I mentioned I have in my cell phone and wallet. A bracelet with emergency information is probably better if it is that critical.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:11 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Another possibility is “RoadID” a bracelet you wear which has a serial number and an 800 # for the first responder to call. Upon establishing his/her identity your entire medical history and your emergency contact list is available to them. It costs $10/year and can be updated at any time. Www.roadid.com
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accident, emergency, first aid, iphone