Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2006, 01:59 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Mercedes-Benz - Viano Marco Polo Westfalia - Import to U.S.A

Here's the translated link: (hope it works)

Mercedes-Benz - Viano Marco Polo Westfalia

I received a message asking:

I would like to know if a Mercedes-Benz Viano Marco Polo camper build in Germany can be imported to the United States without any modifications to meet DOT and EPA motor vehicles safety and environmental requirements. Thank you for any information on this topic.

I don't know the answer.

What is the best way for him to find out?

It's a great vehicle and is available in gas or diesel models.

markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 03:25 PM   #2
Platinum Member

The question was about importing the Viano Marco Polo into the U.S. but I thought I'd post what I received from Mercedes-Benz Canada:

Thank you for your interest in Mercedes-Benz. While we appreciate your
interest in Mercedes-Benz unfortunately, we presently do not have plans to
introduce the Vaneo, the Vito or the Viano Marco Polo to the Canadian
market as they do not meet the necessary certification requirements.

My apologies that we couldn't provide more favourable news at this time.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:52 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I got a really comprehensive reply from Mercedes-Benz US:

At this point in time Mercedes-Benz will not be offering the Viano Marco Polo Westfalia Van on the US Market in the immediate future.

Please be assured your comments and interest in this vehicle have been noted.

Importing a European (non-conforming) model is not recommended for some of the following reasons:

1. The dealer network is not trained nor obligated to service vehicle.
2. Parts are not stocked at local dealers, and would need to be ordered from Germany.

If you still wish to do so, under the Environmental Protection Agency (emission) regulations, before the car is brought into the U.S., the owner of the vehicle must contract an "Independent Commercial Importer" (ICI). This ICI would then file the proper paper work with the U.S. Customs and modify the vehicle to comply with U.S. EPA regulations upon import. In addition, under safety regulations promulgated by NHTSA, the owner must contract a "Registered Importer" (RI) to bring the vehicle into conformity with applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety standards (FMVSS). The ICI must be on the current Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) approved list of Independent Commercial Importers and the RI must be on the current National Highway Traffic Safety Administration approved list of Registered Importers. These lists are available from the EPA and NHTSA. Neither the EPA nor NHTSA recognize "modification" work performed outside their jurisdiction. The car must be modified in the United States.

Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC is not an "ICI' or an "RI" and, therefore under federal regulation, is not permitted to act as an "ICI" or "RI". The importer (owner) must deal directly with EPA, NHTSA, the ICI and the RI. The addresses of the two federal agencies are:

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Manufacturers Operations Division (6405J)
Investigation/Imports Section
401 M St. SW
Washington D. C. 20460
telephone: (202) 564-9660
telephone for list of ICI: (202) 564-9250
telefax: (202) 564-9596
www.epa.gov/oms/

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Director of the Office of Vehicle Safety Compliance (NEF-32)
400 Seventh Street, SW
Washington, D.C. 20590
telephone: (202) 366-5313
telefax: (202) 366-1024
www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/

www.customs.ustreas.gov/imp-exp2/informal/car

If you have any questions regarding this matter, or if we can be of any other assistance, please feel free to e-mail us again or call us at 1-800-FOR-MERCedes (1-800-367-6372).
Old 03-21-2016, 03:11 AM   #4
dan

Yesterday I saw a very nice 2016 Mercedes Benz Metris cargo van in Toronto. I am not sure if MB plans to import the Marco Polo modification beside the cargo and passenger van in Canada/US but might have the potential as a compact class B similar to it or VW California. For a young family like mine this would perfectly fit our weekend camping lifestyle (and underground parking as well).
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:35 PM   #5
Platinum Member

You could certainly match that pretty close with a Sportsmobile, probably far cheaper than importing a vehicle.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:57 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I like this version of the Marco Polo very much. But it's mighty expensive.

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:12 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
I am pretty sure I am not sophisticated enough to be an owner of a Marco Polo, I don't think I would pass the background check at the dealer. Sorry Mr. McHugh but I don't think you would be appropriate for membership at our club, maybe you could check out some other options...

I sort of like having a Freightliner badged Sprinter, I fit in better with their owners than the Mercedes group. The treats are likely better in the Mercedes customer lounge though...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:07 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Free cappuccino last time I was in...
Old 03-21-2016, 05:40 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:

What is it about America (the Home of the Free and The Brave, A Shining City On A Hill, and supposedly One the the Richest Nations In the World yet no one seems to want to sell us these compact multi-purpose camping vans?
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:55 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I have an RV with this layout. Yes, a bit older, not as slick, but far cheaper! And no import hassle.

RE: Importing. I did note on the recent Hymer link, even RT, making the Hymer Aktiv in Canada, will still need about 3 months for Canadian safety approval, before they can sell them there!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender_3.jpg (660.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 03-21-2016, 09:01 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Resurrecting a nine year old thread? ouch.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:42 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
You could certainly match that pretty close with a Sportsmobile, probably far cheaper than importing a vehicle.
Not to mention that GTRV does the same floor plan in any van you provide... from a mini-van upwards...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:37 PM   #13
Platinum Member

I finally saw a Metris yesterday. It's on the upper end size-wise of minivans. It's not a micro-van like the Transit Connect or the Promaster City. The Metris would be a great platform for a US spec Marco Polo.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:08 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
I finally saw a Metris yesterday. It's on the upper end size-wise of minivans. It's not a micro-van like the Transit Connect or the Promaster City. The Metris would be a great platform for a US spec Marco Polo.
I also saw a nice Metris on the street today. Reminded me of the form factor of the VW Transporter but with a definite "glamping" look to it.

The VW Wagon won't cross the pond, but the Mercedes Metris is already here. Is there a market for this type of van conversion in North America? The urban tribe? The mini-van camper? The one vehicle for all solution?

A video from the last Dusseldorf show.
https://youtu.be/4G8SVmJCoTU

I would prefer a more simple conversion (less expensive!) but love the automotive interior design look of this type of weekender camper van.
The layout is fairly standard but seems well built.

The van itself in the US is 30 000$, so expect around 70 000$ for any decent conversion. The Marco Polo Active (!!!) in the video has a price tag of 39 000 euros. I would see Hymer doing an AKTIV type of conversion on the NA Metris!

The engine is gas in NA.

Reviews:
2016 Mercedes-Benz Metris Review, Ratings, Specs, Prices, and Photos - The Car Connection
Mercedes-Benz Metris – News – Car and Driver

GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 03:50 AM   #15
Platinum Member

A member from the FB forum found this interesting company that will offer conversions on the Metris

Recon campers
Recon Campers
Looking forward to see what they will offer.

Very convincing description of the van :
...Mercedes Metris – With 186 cubic feet of cargo space, over 9 feet behind the front seats to the rear doors, and 4960 lbs tow rating, this is the mother ship of fuel efficient, garageable camper vans. Ideal for the serious weekend warrior to the summer adventurer who takes up to several months off each year exploring. With seating for 5 and two large beds the Metris is also ideal for the family that can’t wait to pull out of town and head to the mountains with the kids and dogs.

GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote