Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2016, 12:46 AM   #1

Default Microwave not working

On a recent trip to Montana besides having the Shurflo water pump on my barely used 2015 Roadtrek 190P pack up, I discovered one morning that my microwave was not working (only used about a half dozen times previously). All the functions operate normally but when I press the Start button nothing happens. Any suggestions?

I contacted the mfg Danby and they referred me to Roadtrek. I contacted Roadtrek and they contacted Danby about the warranty. Danby refused to honor their warranty so Roadtrek is going to replace the microwave. But that doesn't help me much, I think, since I leave for Alaska in two weeks and would really like to have a microwave for cooking. Of course, I could just go out and buy another 700W microwave since they only cost about $50.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:06 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycopsycho View Post
Of course, I could just go out and buy another 700W microwave since they only cost about $50.
That's what I would do.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:21 AM   #3
BBQ
Platinum Member

Angry

Danby is the cheapest cheap electronic stuff you can buy.

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:15 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Quote:
On a recent trip to Montana besides having the Shurflo water pump on my barely used 2015 Roadtrek 190P pack up, I discovered one morning that my microwave was not working (only used about a half dozen times previously). All the functions operate normally but when I press the Start button nothing happens. Any suggestions?

I contacted the mfg Danby and they referred me to Roadtrek. I contacted Roadtrek and they contacted Danby about the warranty. Danby refused to honor their warranty so Roadtrek is going to replace the microwave. But that doesn't help me much, I think, since I leave for Alaska in two weeks and would really like to have a microwave for cooking. Of course, I could just go out and buy another 700W microwave since they only cost about $50.
Some questions,
Were you running an on board (Onan) generator, or plugged in to shore power when the M/W worked the half dozen times before?
"All the functions operate normally" - which functions are you referring to that operate normally? M/W functions? Panel lights/LED display? Can you set/adjust the clock, or the power level, or set a cook time?
I have a much older 190P, and I have to be plugged in to shore power or run my Onan in order for the M/W to work.

I would assume if Roadtrek offered to replace the M/W, they must feel it's faulty, but I'm curious if it's actually the problem. Is the door closed completely (there might be a sensor for that that's faulty, like the light switch in your home refrigerator when the door closes/opens) and all settings that allow it to operate are set correctly? You haven't accidentally changed a timer setting, or set a delayed timed cooking setting, that won't let the cook cycle start?

Food for thought? (sorry, bad metaphor)
Old 06-27-2016, 04:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Some questions,
Were you running an on board (Onan) generator, or plugged in to shore power when the M/W worked the half dozen times before?
"All the functions operate normally" - which functions are you referring to that operate normally? M/W functions? Panel lights/LED display? Can you set/adjust the clock, or the power level, or set a cook time?
I have a much older 190P, and I have to be plugged in to shore power or run my Onan in order for the M/W to work.

I would assume if Roadtrek offered to replace the M/W, they must feel it's faulty, but I'm curious if it's actually the problem. Is the door closed completely (there might be a sensor for that that's faulty, like the light switch in your home refrigerator when the door closes/opens) and all settings that allow it to operate are set correctly? You haven't accidentally changed a timer setting, or set a delayed timed cooking setting, that won't let the cook cycle start?

Food for thought? (sorry, bad metaphor)
Thanks for all your troubleshooting suggestions. First, when I first experienced the fault I was plugged into short power and all subsequent troubleshooting same. Second, clock works, I can tap in power setting, run time, etc. It's only when I press the Start/Stop button that I experience the fault. I've pressed the reset button between tries as well. I read the manual (surprise, surprise) and saw the child safety feature so I went through that procedure with no success. Since I've got nothing to lose now, I'm going to try poking around (without power on) where the prongs on the door fit into the main body. It looks like there may be a switch contact of some kind for the lower prong. If a replacement from Roadtrek (who incidentally were very nice about the whole thing and obviously frustrated with Danby) doesn't arrive in time, I'll probably buy another700W MW for my forthcoming trip.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:29 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I expect yours is like mine: the micro plugs into a regular 110 socket somewhere in a cabinet above or beside it.
I would unplug it, and plug in to a separate 110 source completely bypassing the van's systems. That way you can determine if it is the van or the micro at fault.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:34 AM   #7
Platinum Member

I took my microwave inside to my house to test --- I would suggest doing that to eliminate the van's electrical service. If it works in your house, you have other issues. If it doesn't, go buy another and use the one provided by Roadtrek as a future replacement!
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:25 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Quote:
Thanks for all your troubleshooting suggestions. First, when I first experienced the fault I was plugged into short power and all subsequent troubleshooting same. Second, clock works, I can tap in power setting, run time, etc. It's only when I press the Start/Stop button that I experience the fault. I've pressed the reset button between tries as well. I read the manual (surprise, surprise) and saw the child safety feature so I went through that procedure with no success. Since I've got nothing to lose now, I'm going to try poking around (without power on) where the prongs on the door fit into the main body. It looks like there may be a switch contact of some kind for the lower prong. If a replacement from Roadtrek (who incidentally were very nice about the whole thing and obviously frustrated with Danby) doesn't arrive in time, I'll probably buy another700W MW for my forthcoming trip.
I would assume there is a safety switch or contacts in the door closing mechanism that tells the M/W that it's OK to "unleash the hounds", aka power up the radiation generator. Just like the household version. They won't start if the door is open or ajar. I'm interested in what you find from your surgical foray. If you feel up to posting the results. Good luck with it.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf7g View Post
I took my microwave inside to my house to test --- I would suggest doing that to eliminate the van's electrical service. If it works in your house, you have other issues. If it doesn't, go buy another and use the one provided by Roadtrek as a future replacement!
Thanks. I brought a 110V cord out to the RT and plugged the MW directly to it I then used a screwdriver to probe around the switch to see if that was stuck. No luck. The issue is with the MW. The Start button is unresponsive. I'll get a new MW next week before I leave.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:31 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I read RT is going to replace it, but your getting ready to hit the road, so I suggest you think about spraying some DeoxIT D5, seems nothing else is working at this point, Ron.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron J. Moore View Post
I read RT is going to replace it, but your getting ready to hit the road, so I suggest you think about spraying some DeoxIT D5, seems nothing else is working at this point, Ron.
I now have a functioning LG microwave in my Roadtrek. I think it looks pretty good.