Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2019, 10:36 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Please don't troll.
Too late, it's a constant thing.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:53 PM   #22
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilliams View Post
I'm hoping in the interim that we have self-driving technology. My guess is that there will be an instant secondary market for retrofits of existing vehicles once that technology is generally available.
The idea of aftermarket kits seems unlikely. The cars that need retrofitting are ICE and we are about to go thru the same change we saw from CRTs to flat-panels. No one will want an ICE in a few years. It's a shame as I don't expect to buy another RV this lifetime (already have two). Really love the self-driving on my Tesla.

I have looked into these ADAS systems, especially Mobileye, seems like a good compromise over some crazy retrofit.

-Randy
israndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:15 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by israndy View Post
The idea of aftermarket kits seems unlikely. The cars that need retrofitting are ICE and we are about to go thru the same change we saw from CRTs to flat-panels. No one will want an ICE in a few years. It's a shame as I don't expect to buy another RV this lifetime (already have two). Really love the self-driving on my Tesla.

I have looked into these ADAS systems, especially Mobileye, seems like a good compromise over some crazy retrofit.

-Randy
Tesla's aren't self-driving. As for no one wanting an ICE, I think that is an exaggeration. There are likely still going to be millions of them on the road when reliable self-driving technology is actually available.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:57 PM   #24
Platinum Member

You can take my ICE when I'm dead, or when the technology improves tremendously, range improves exponentially, charging is available everywhere and costs drop enough to make moving to battery worthwhile.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 03:27 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Default Mobile Eye is not some crazy after market product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by israndy View Post

-Randy
https://www.mobileye.com/about/

Intel is behind this....

And, it has absolutely nothing to do with ICE vs. Electric cars..... nothing period.

It's an extra safety feature.... required by all new cars and taxis in Israel.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 03:52 PM   #26
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
It's an extra safety feature.... required by all new cars and taxis
Is that really the business model you wanna support. A company makes a product and then lobbies governments that it must be included in all vehicles? I would rather spend my money on things that are an exciting tech break thru than be a victim of a corrupt government. Where is the competition of ideas?

-Randy
israndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:00 PM   #27
Platinum Member

"Is that really the business model you wanna support."

It is certainly the one I support. Its better than letting Uber and Tesla kill people until they get it right and it makes them rich.

The problem is that most of these systems are being oversold in their current state. My sprinter based RV has collision prevention on it, but Mercedes doesn't suggest that means I don't need to pay attention to the cars in front of me or hit the brakes. Instead its alerts me as the driver and helps to brake the vehicle in a safe manner. My lane assist tells me when I go over a line, but I have to steer back into the lane. Again, I need to be paying attention.

Tesla's selling point over that almost decade-old technology is that it steers the car for you so you don't have to pay attention. Then they tell people in fine print that they should pay attention anyway, just in case. And when something goes wrong, its their fault for not paying attention. Without regulation we are at the mercy of marketers and promoters
Old 05-03-2019, 08:24 PM   #28
Site Team

[Moderator's note:]
Please let's not let inappropriate political comments cause this to evolve into another problematic thread
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:57 PM   #29

Quote:

I don't see RV manufacturers installing these anyway...
My 2019 Winnebago Era came with the Mobileye, from the factory, and it works just fine. It actually reads speed limit signs and provides speed and following distance warnings. (and probably a lot more that I haven't bothered to learn)
deltahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:14 AM   #30
Platinum Member

Default Great... tell us more..

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltahawk View Post
My 2019 Winnebago Era came with the Mobileye, from the factory, and it works just fine. It actually reads speed limit signs and provides speed and following distance warnings. (and probably a lot more that I haven't bothered to learn)
Does it have an effective night vision for detecting pedestrians at night and cyclists?

I imagine that it's calibrated for longer stopping distances than a car would be?

And, it has an audible alarm? Where is the camera mounted for the unit? Near rear view mirror or on dashboard?

Thanks in advance for your responses...
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:07 PM   #31

Quote:
Does it have an effective night vision for detecting pedestrians at night and cyclists?

I imagine that it's calibrated for longer stopping distances than a car would be?

And, it has an audible alarm? Where is the camera mounted for the unit? Near rear view mirror or on dashboard?

Thanks in advance for your responses...
No night vision.
Yes, it has audible and haptic warnings.
I don't know where the camera(sensors) are located.
I am attaching the page from my vehicle manual showing the features. Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mobile Eye.jpg (226.3 KB, 7 views)
deltahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:58 PM   #32
Platinum Member

There are a couple videos from mobileye that describe how things work. It sounds like the pedestrian detection requires good lighting.

seems to be an older version with examples of how the system works.

appears recent and is more a promo.

I think we should distinguish between warning systems and "self-driving" systems. And then there is the grey area of "driver assist" systems that both warn and help the driver respond appropriately. Mobile eye still seems to be firmly in the grey area with only aspirations to a self-driving system.

My Roadtrek has warnings for things like blind spots and lane drift and some "driver assist" functions ranging from cruise control to emergency braking. But I am not going to start thinking I can go get a cup of coffee while the thing drives itself. You can't safely do that with a Tesla either, but you wouldn't know it from some of its promotions. Both Uber and Tesla have made it clear that we can't trust safety to the companies developing the technology. Uber, at least, has demonstrated a willingness to trade a few lives to be the first past the post in the self-driving industry.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:42 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilliams View Post
You can't safely do that with a Tesla either, but you wouldn't know it from some of its promotions.
What Tesla actually says:

Autopilot
Autopilot advanced safety and convenience features are designed to assist you with the most burdensome parts of driving. Autopilot introduces new features and improves existing functionality to make your Tesla safer and more capable over time.

Autopilot enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically within its lane.

Current Autopilot features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous.

Quote:
Both Uber and Tesla have made it clear that we can't trust safety to the companies developing the technology. Uber, at least, has demonstrated a willingness to trade a few lives to be the first past the post in the self-driving industry.
This is a gratuitous claim. We trade a few lives on almost every major enterprise that involves physical activity. When planning a skyscraper or highway project, the planners (explicitly or implicitly) factor in the probable death count and, yes, place a dollar cost on them. Nobody likes to talk about this, but it is simple reality.

The carnage on the highways is horrendous, and autonomous cars will certainly vastly improve the situation in the long run. In the short run, the number of incidents has been too low to even meaningfully apply statistics to. Feel-good attacks on corporate boogey-men is unfair and pointless.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote