Old 04-23-2019, 07:49 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Mobile Eye?

I've been thinking about getting a "Mobile Eye" system for my coach.

Have any of you ever considered it?

For safety or just driver assistance.

Pretty slick system; detects pedestrians, even at night.

https://www.mobileye.com/en-us/technology/how-it-works/

Cost is around $1,200. You might think it's expensive, but, if it helped you avoid an accident or worse hit someone in a dark circumstance, you'd swear it was priceless.

What do you think?

Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:59 PM   #2

I looked into Mobileye as an option to add these safety features (ADAS as they're referred to). I ended up buying a PW Ascent, and lane departure and collision warning systems are built in options. If I had gone with the model I was considering that didn't have those features, I don't think I'd have gone with a Mobileye though. You can find these features in many modern dash cams for a fraction of the cost. Do some Amazon or Google searching for "dash cam with ADAS" and you'll find plenty of options for well under $300. Plus these dash cams have features to automatically save a recording if a shock is detected, which could be very useful in the event of an accident.

brianh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:48 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Default Mobile Eye is certainly expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianh View Post
I looked into Mobileye as an option to add these safety features (ADAS as they're referred to). I ended up buying a PW Ascent, and lane departure and collision warning systems are built in options. If I had gone with the model I was considering that didn't have those features, I don't think I'd have gone with a Mobileye though. You can find these features in many modern dash cams for a fraction of the cost. Do some Amazon or Google searching for "dash cam with ADAS" and you'll find plenty of options for well under $300. Plus these dash cams have features to automatically save a recording if a shock is detected, which could be very useful in the event of an accident.
I don't know.. are you comparing comparable products.?

I noticed that Mobile Eye is conspicuously absent from this list, see link below.

Why is that?

https://dashcamerasreviews.com/dash-cam-adas-system-top-9-dash-cams/
Old 04-27-2019, 02:56 PM   #4
Platinum Member

As with other products, I am annoyed that there is no holistic approach being demonstrated by the manufacturer. Each product does one thing (or claims to), while nothing is comprehensive in the way that it logically ought to be.

Why would I buy an active monitoring product like that, with cameras and hardware and software and all the rest, unless it also offered the corresponding passive monitoring function (additional cameras and DVR for security)?

The manufacturer is already X percent of the way toward a comprehensive goal - why not go the distance? Or at least offer it as an option.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:26 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Default YES, good point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
As with other products, I am annoyed that there is no holistic approach being demonstrated by the manufacturer. Each product does one thing (or claims to), while nothing is comprehensive in the way that it logically ought to be.

Why would I buy an active monitoring product like that, with cameras and hardware and software and all the rest, unless it also offered the corresponding passive monitoring function (additional cameras and DVR for security)?

The manufacturer is already X percent of the way toward a comprehensive goal - why not go the distance? Or at least offer it as an option.
I can see what you're saying... I guess that the monitoring is more important than the recording.... ?

Seems like these guys, Mobile Eye, have a pretty big presence in the market.,. must be doing something right?
Old 04-29-2019, 12:58 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Not so much "doing something right" as "insufficient free market development". This is a rapidly-evolving area, and turn-key solutions have not yet emerged to fit the obvious needs. It reminds me a little bit of the time before iPhone when everyone had completely different cell phones, the before time when no innovative smart phone solution had yet risen to the top.

I think we'll see good improvements in the next year or so, though. Especially where commercial truck fleets are concerned, there's just too much liability, too much money on the line for producers to not step up and offer products that speak to loss prevention objectives.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 01:47 PM   #7
Site Team

I am not so sure that this market is EVER going to develop much beyond its current state. I suspect that it is going to be rapidly overtaken by OEM features built into the vehicles. High-end vehicles already have ridiculous numbers of cameras, radar units, and other sensor to support the safety and convenience features that are rapidly working their way down the price curve. Most of them don't yet use these capabilities for more controversial purposes such as video recording as theft deterrent, but that will come.

My understanding is that Mobile-Eye is primarily a provider of technology to the OEM market, and that these retail products are just a side line. I suspect that the latter market is destined to shrink over time.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:21 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Avanti, you wrote,

My understanding is that Mobile-Eye is primarily a provider of technology to the OEM market, and that these retail products are just a side line. I suspect that the latter market is destined to shrink over time.

Please explain.... they have been around since 2007

https://www.mobileye.com/en-us/about-mobileye/

It is certainly a good way to get this technology into older vehicles.... not everyone wants to go out and purchase a brand new car to get that.... let alone an RV....

I don't see RV manufacturers installing these anyway...
Old 04-29-2019, 02:29 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Avanti, you wrote,

Please explain.... they have been around since 2007

https://www.mobileye.com/en-us/about-mobileye/

It is certainly a good way to get this technology into older vehicles.... not everyone wants to go out and purchase a brand new car to get that.... let alone an RV....

I don't see RV manufacturers installing these anyway...
Huh? What do you want me to explain? Please read the first paragraph of your link.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:36 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Default Market shrinkage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Huh? What do you want me to explain? Please read the first paragraph of your link.
Do you really think that the market is shrinking for this on older vehicles? Your argument is that these are primarily only on new cars and trucks?

I find that really hard to believe given how many are out there right now.