Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2017, 03:53 PM   #1

Default models w/ full-time queen bed?

I'm looking for a Class B with a full time bed and ideally only driver and passenger seats. I like the looks of the Roadtrek Simplicity SRT, but I'd prefer a Sprinter diesel, and I've read reports of Roadtrek quality problems in recent years. Great West of fond memory had a Sprinter Legend floor plan with a full-time bed, but I never saw one for sale. Avion is a possibility, but I prefer the galley on the passenger side.

Are there other options for a class B with a full time bed?
logicprobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 04:15 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Almost all of the rear sleeper/dinette/power sofa type class b's can be changed to a full time bed pretty easily. We did our Roadtrek C190P shortly after we got, and many others have done different models.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 05:22 PM   #3
Platinum Member

What Booster said regarding rear sleeper/dinette/power sofa type class b's.

Just make sure:

1) you can set up a small table in the front for eating, etc. so you don't have to take down the bed in the rear.
2) if there are 2 of you, make sure both front seats swivel. In some Bs the bath is pushed up right against the driver's seat that swiveling is impossible or extremely tight.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:32 PM   #4

Thanks for the suggestions. Are you saying to simply put a rear dinette or power sofa into the bed configuration and leave it like that? I want to sleep on a good quality latex or memory foam mattress, not a folded-out sofa, but a dinette model could work.

Removing a dinette or power sofa and replacing it with a full-time bed seems like it would be a lot of work and probably not worth the trouble.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:00 PM   #5
Platinum Member

The Winnebago Era 70A Sprinter has a flex bed in that you can use it somewhat like a bridged 29" W twin or add a wedge cushion to make it full 68" W x 75" L bed. Most people I know don't bother with the wedge cushion. It is set high for extra underbed storage so it is a true in place bed in either arrangement and not intended as a sofa or eating area. I think it is the best fixed bed design on the market. Since I don't own one I can't vouch for its comfort.

https://winnebagoind.com/products/cl...era/floorplans
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:27 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicprobe View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Are you saying to simply put a rear dinette or power sofa into the bed configuration and leave it like that? I want to sleep on a good quality latex or memory foam mattress, not a folded-out sofa, but a dinette model could work.

Removing a dinette or power sofa and replacing it with a full-time bed seems like it would be a lot of work and probably not worth the trouble.
Many people just leave the dinette or power sofa bed made up, but we didn't like the comfort either. We had the power sofa and removed it and built a custom fit full time bed, designed to give maximum storage underneath. It was a lot of work, because of the storage requirements, not because of the bed part.

If you are just looking for a comfortable full time bed, a sheet of plywood, maybe a couple of legs if needed, and a mattress are all you would need. Hiring the bed part would be reasonable, I think, and you can get really, really, nice latex custom fit mattresses from the marine companies. We got a wonderful latex mattress for ours that we liked so well we bought a similar one for our home bed so it would be as comfortable as the one in the van!

IMO, choose whatever rear sleeper that has the rest of the van the way you like it. Changing the bed is easy compared to living with the rest of the van not to your liking.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:46 PM   #7
Platinum Member

we have a 2006 PW Lexor TD, it's on a Chev.(anyone can work on it, anywhere and parts are available everywhere cheap)
2 seats which swivel, usually we only swivel the pass seat

we have a king in the rear we leave made up all the time, we don;t use the tables ( either of them) and tv trays work fine if inside.
typical camplife is outdoors as much as possible.

our bed is 72W X 72L on pass side, and 75L on driver's side. the bolster cushions fill in the center aisle.
we use the area underneath for storage using a rolling sterilite bin...our blow up kayak fits in that

our bed is much more comfortable than power sofa models I have seen- and we have much more storage available underneath.

std configuration has 2 drawers under the driver's side, and rear of the wheel well is the water heater. on the pass. side, the electrics are towards the front, and the scissor jack, the rear has a door to the center aisle and is also open to the rear, so a space about 3.5' long, that's where the folding chairs and hammock go. we also have access to the area at the rear from the rear door, I have the leveling blocks, outdoor lights and the awning crank and support too

if considering an existing model and restructuring the bed or sofa- you'll want to consider in advance which RV systems may be built in underneath

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:24 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Many people just leave the dinette or power sofa bed made up, but we didn't like the comfort either.
What about a custom sized mattress topper? Think that would work?
Old 01-15-2017, 11:47 PM   #9
Platinum Member

You could buy almost any B with the rear couch and just remove the couch and mount a bed platform for the mattress. Really wouldn't be that hard to do. ARV has made a bed like that. Also could go custom and get whatever you want.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:39 AM   #10
Platinum Member

ARV is capable of making any bed you desire if it will fit in the space. I designed electrically operating foot, back and head articulating beds and they executed the development and build.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:07 AM   #11
J&L

How about Hymer Aktiv? Lots of pictures of them on the forums.
J&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:04 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Safari Condo XL Flex (both Promaster and Sprinter versions) have a permanent queen bed.
AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:26 AM   #13
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&L View Post
How about Hymer Aktiv? Lots of pictures of them on the forums.
Before ordering our Aktiv, we took time to lay EVERY direction on the queen size bed and were very impressed with iit's comfort. Getting to the storage under the bed was super easy too! Good luck!
4DMTNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:28 PM   #14

I looked at the Aktiv and Safari Condo. I don't want the extra seating, just driver and passenger.

It looks like my current choices are the Simplicity SRT or Advanced RV. I want to tow an enclosed motorcycle trailer, and that's probably too much for the Simplicity, so I'm saving my pennies.

Previous motorhomes:
1978 American Clipper (21 ft Class C)
1991 Rexhall Vision (22 ft Class A)
Old 01-22-2017, 02:54 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
I looked at the Aktiv and Safari Condo. I don't want the extra seating, just driver and passenger.

It looks like my current choices are the Simplicity SRT or Advanced RV. I want to tow an enclosed motorcycle trailer, and that's probably too much for the Simplicity, so I'm saving my pennies.

Previous motorhomes:
1978 American Clipper (21 ft Class C)
1991 Rexhall Vision (22 ft Class A)
Safari Condo XL Flex also has the option of storage/swing out table up front instead of the passenger seats.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJ View Post
Safari Condo XL Flex also has the option of storage/swing out table up front instead of the passenger seats.
I missed that; very interesting. Thanks!!
Old 01-22-2017, 03:18 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
I missed that; very interesting. Thanks!!
Here are a few pictures of the optional front layout in the Sprinter XL Flex.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender-1.jpg (62.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (79.6 KB, 19 views)
Old 01-22-2017, 04:06 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJ View Post
Here are a few pictures of the optional front layout in the Sprinter XL Flex.
Alex - Thanks for photos. On the website it is only shown on the Sprinter model, not the Promaster model. Do you know if it is available on the Promaster?
Old 01-22-2017, 04:19 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
Alex - Thanks for photos. On the website it is only shown on the Sprinter model, not the Promaster model. Do you know if it is available on the Promaster?
It is available on both chassis. The desk feature at the end of the countertop is nice when you turn around the driver's seat. You may also want to consider a custom Sportsmobile build.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:14 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
He mentioned towing and didn't think the Simplicity (Promaster) would be adequate. Simplicity and Advanced RV are definitely at the extremes of the Class B spectrum.