Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2018, 08:50 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default More Camping World dirty tricks

We bought an new carbon monoxide detector from Camping World online, as they were the only ones who had them available fairly reasonably.

As usual, we immediately got loaded up on the email with sales crap, just like all vendors seem to do now.

I tried to unsubscribe and it said you can't unsubscribe onine, you have to call them on the phone.

There is no way in any world or underworld that the phone call will happen from here, just so they can try to waste our time trying to talk us out of unsubscribing. They will just be blocked and removed from those we buy from.

They just keep getting sleazier and sleazier every day the CW and I sent them an email informing them of that, along with "goodby".
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:16 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
We bought an new carbon monoxide detector from Camping World online, as they were the only ones who had them available fairly reasonably.

As usual, we immediately got loaded up on the email with sales crap, just like all vendors seem to do now.

I tried to unsubscribe and it said you can't unsubscribe onine, you have to call them on the phone.

There is no way in any world or underworld that the phone call will happen from here, just so they can try to waste our time trying to talk us out of unsubscribing. They will just be blocked and removed from those we buy from.

They just keep getting sleazier and sleazier every day the CW and I sent them an email informing them of that, along with "goodby".
I've had good luck ordering parts from pplmotorhomes.com out of Houston. They are who I bought my RV from last October (they sell only on consignment). But they also have a big parts department and good prices.

They beat Camping World on price by a little bit when I purchased my CO monitor replacement last month. I can't recall if they sent me an e-mail afterwards, but if they did it was easy to unsubscribe. I don't like unsolicited e-mails either.

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:53 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
I've had good luck ordering parts from pplmotorhomes.com out of Houston. They are who I bought my RV from last October (they sell only on consignment). But they also have a big parts department and good prices.

They beat Camping World on price by a little bit when I purchased my CO monitor replacement last month. I can't recall if they sent me an e-mail afterwards, but if they did it was easy to unsubscribe. I don't like unsolicited e-mails either.

We certainly would have used PPL, but they didn't have the one I needed on hand. No problems with them in the past either.

Interesting that the email I sent that was through their website, "because we want to hear how we are doing" was refused and not delivered. They don't care about customers, just customer's money.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:13 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I've never had issue with them in store but their ordering/inventory system scared me away....no way I was buying from them online after they couldn't even tell me if something was in stock in the store and finding out required a phone call.

Now I just call the store to see if they have it.
Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:43 PM   #5
Platinum Member

There is a big nice Camping World less than three miles from my home. It is the "Source of Last Resorts" for me. PPL and Amazon can usually meet my needs.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:44 AM   #6
Platinum Member

I've ordered a few things from Camping World, and actually enjoy getting their printed catalogs. I haven't found their emails obnoxious, either.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 02:43 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Sounds to me like they are in violation of CAN-SPAM - https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/busi...guide-business

By law marketing emails are required to provide a prominent way to unsubscribe from future emails.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:07 PM   #8

Like BillsPaseo said, at the very end of their email message, bottom of the letter, you should see an "unsubscribe" link. It will be very small and faint, but it usually will be there to apply. Also, you can hit the JUNK tab on your browser and send all their emails to the junk folder and you will never see them again.
dentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:10 PM   #9

Maybe "The Profit" should mind his own stores instead of investing in dozens of other businesses. Their crappy customer service is showing up in sales. Camping World stock is close to a 52-week low.
Lakesidemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:55 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Many years back, when we first got into camping and using a TT, we went to CW to stock up. A customer who was raising pure hell about the installation of a roof-top dome antenna......and they just plain ignored him! We were new, not stupid - left the products and was gone. Went to a NC Dealer and got what we needed. Somehow I feel those who buy their first RV thru CW are akin to those who bought their first computer (Tandy) from Radio Shack - you did that but once. Ron
Old 09-13-2018, 07:59 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentman View Post
Like BillsPaseo said, at the very end of their email message, bottom of the letter, you should see an "unsubscribe" link. It will be very small and faint, but it usually will be there to apply. Also, you can hit the JUNK tab on your browser and send all their emails to the junk folder and you will never see them again.

That was exactly the point of my first post.

I did hit the unsubscribe button, which took me to a site to unsubscribe. When I tried to unsubscribe, I got the message that the only way to unsubscribe was to call a phone number and tell them I want to unsubscribe.

To me that is plain and simple extortion to get to give sales pitch or something else, and it will not happen. Shopping at Camping World will also not happen.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:46 AM   #12
Bronze Member

Gmail lets you set filters. That makes it possible to direct emails from addresses you specify directly to trash so they never get into your inbox.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:13 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Last time i trie to buy something a CW it was a replacement glass tray for our built in Dometic microwave.

They first tried to convince me that instead, I should just buy a new microwave as ours was about seven years old. - I asked the price for one, but they only had counter top models available, not built in, so that was a non-starter.

They didn't have the glass tray we needed in stock but said they could order it - $60!! and another $60!! that I would have to pay to have it shipped to their store! As well they had no idea how long it would take to get!

Instead, I did an internet search on line and bought an exact replacement for $29 with free shipping to the campground we were at and had it in two days!

We do still look around CW stores when we come across one on our travels just to see what new gadgets are available but rarely ever buy anything unless it is a bargain on sale.

At least we do get a bit of a discount now with our Good Sam membership.

From the srories I have heard I don't think I'd ever consider buying an RV from them and would also be very reluctant to have any repair work done either unless I hd no other choice!

A couple of times we have looked at a couple of RV's on their property - just to see them - after the mandatory provision of names/adress to their sales people and could just sense the high pressure approach! Not pleasant.

Brian
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:32 PM   #14
Platinum Member

I have gotten to the point where I will never give personal data to anyone unless actually needed for a transaction. This would include the CW sales approach that Wingeezer references. They don't need my full name and address to show me a an RV, they just want it for sales mailings.

The same goes for places that want your full information to send you a brochure or a site that "needs" all of you personal data to give you a shipping price before you order something (it often happens you are all the way though the process and they have your information, and then you see their crazy high shipping costs and bail, but they got your information).

I have heard, but have not been able to substantiate, that some car dealers are even logging your current vehicle license number when you go to look at vehicles, so they can look it up and send you sales pitches.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:51 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I have heard, but have not been able to substantiate, that some car dealers are even logging your current vehicle license number when you go to look at vehicles, so they can look it up and send you sales pitches.
Could there possibly be any doubt?!

I wouldn't be surprised if some data aggregator pays them for the information. The fact that someone is actively in the new car market would be considered a high-value datum.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:00 PM   #16
Platinum Member

When I go to the Camping World down the street from my home, most of the time no one ever acknowledges my or most others presence. Why? They are chit-chatting with each other or (more often) on their devices.

I went down there a couple of years ago to look at a nice RT170 P. Some sales guy took me to the RT, he had never seen one before, got back in his golf cart and got on his smart phone while I looked. Little communication whatsoever except to call me Bud the few times he spook at all. I was not his Bud. I was his customer. I told him I had owned two Roadtreks and was very familiar with them. I asked him if I could answer any questions he might have about them . He just grinned.

The Roadtrek was very overpriced and I just thanked him and left. He never asked for my name or phone number. He wasn't that interested. Why would anyone hire someone like that guy? It is all about management.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote