Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2015, 01:07 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default More Euro-van ideas!

Often some of the neat features and equipment in Eurovans makes their way to North America. Check out some of the neat ideas in these vans:

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

A few of the things that caught my eye - the amazing use of space in the Adria (the transforming bathroom is pretty neat), the pop-top on the already high roof Serengeti, the easy bed setup on the u-shaped lounge in the Vantage; and the small format Wellhouse Terrier based on the Transit custom (wish this micro-B would catch on here) very much like a VW Westfalia - the sliding seat/bed was a really cool use of space.

Another thing that struck me was the resurging interest in the front lounge. I guess that is a trend that comes and goes. Looks like it's making a come-back in Europe, at least from the videos I'm seeing.

Not sure I'm keen on the rear kitchen idea - probably makes sense from a weight distribution standpoint, but the ones I've seen seem dark - not what you want in a kitchen.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:13 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Thank you for the post!

Always nice to see what is coming out from the Euro RVs; they don't seem shy on trying new things in the market, especially layouts, and on some short wheelbase vehicles, too.

Love the "extractor hood" on the Auto Sleeper. Nice add for any RV.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:41 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Funny how something like the extractor hood is found on every kind of RV with a gas cooktop, but you never see one on a B van. I'm curious if the vent just blows out the side of the van and what kind of fitting it has.

I have two cooking rules in my van - no bacon and no fish. Both are only cooked outside.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:46 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Advanced RV has installed some extractor hoods. The two I've seen come out the side.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:19 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Funny how something like the extractor hood is found on every kind of RV with a gas cooktop, but you never see one on a B van. I'm curious if the vent just blows out the side of the van and what kind of fitting it has.

I have two cooking rules in my van - no bacon and no fish. Both are only cooked outside.
The '04 RT I owned had one. This not my van but here's a photo with the exterior part circled in red:

2004-ROADTREK-190POPULAR.jpg

I've wondered about why they are missing from newer units. Maybe stealth, cost cutting, regulation changes, all of that, some of that.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 04:31 PM   #6
Platinum Member

In think because so many are using the Fantastic Fan in the hallway near the kitchen.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:50 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
... the Fantastic Fan in the hallway near the kitchen.
My manual demands use of the fan when the stovetop is used- to make up for the consumption of oxygen by the combustion of the gas.

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 05:14 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Went on the Auto-Sleeper site, where they had HD video of that model. Hood is a Dometic - looks like a CK2000, which is 12v, No outside exhaust. Can find more extractor hoods on the Dometic UK site (called cooker hoods there), some with exhaust. Of course, nothing listed on the USA site.

They are 12v; don't know if one could order one from the UK.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:42 PM   #9
Bronze Member

I thought the various units he was displaying was interesting but not a single unit was of interest to me for various reasons.
islandrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 06:03 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandrog View Post
I thought the various units he was displaying was interesting but not a single unit was of interest to me for various reasons.
I was not interested in any of them either, but, still, interesting to see them fitting out some of the smaller vehicles on the market. Nice to have choices, since each of us have different needs, etc. Hey, all are bigger than my '99 EVC!

If you check out the manufacturers' website or other videos posted by Motorhome Magazine, I think you might find one that is of interest. And you will find models with layouts and features that might not be available in standard models in the US.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:24 PM   #11
Platinum Member

The point of the posting was not for whether any of these units appealed to you as a package. Certainly some of them have issues. It was to point out the individual features that may be of interest or desired to be included in our models here in North America.

A case in point - I like the idea of the swivel bowl toilet. On the examples, of course, those are connected to cassette systems. Most of you would not want a cassette, and neither do I. But the feature could be useful on a traditional black tank toilet setup.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:21 PM   #12
Platinum Member

I also like the "proper cooker" on the Auto-Sleeper - a real grill/oven - and the flip-out splash guards are interesting.

He does call the flip-down bowl on the bath sink "old-fashioned" but it looks handy to be able to flip it out of the way when showering for a bit more room.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:37 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Interesting to go on the various websites and see options. On the Vantage Motorhome site, they the usual - more solar, lithium batteries, awnings, but then they have an option to replace the sliding door on the Ducato (Promaster)!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HartalDoorOptionVantage.jpg (72.3 KB, 29 views)
Old 11-19-2015, 10:25 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
He does call the flip-down bowl on the bath sink "old-fashioned" but it looks handy to be able to flip it out of the way when showering for a bit more room.
It is a very old idea. We had them on Navy submarines for 100 years now.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:43 PM   #15
Platinum Member

There was one I saw last year that was a "swing out" style. I thought that was cool and you didn't have the possibility of it flopping out if you hit a hard bump.

I'd think that these kinds of sinks would be very popular. In most B vans, the bathrooms are barely usuable for showering because the sink is in the way. With it clear, they are more than adequate space for a stand-up shower. Really don't understand why so many insist on the fixed sink.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:48 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
I also like the "proper cooker" on the Auto-Sleeper - a real grill/oven - and the flip-out splash guards are interesting.

The British market must insist on it. Many also have what they call a hybrid cooker - 2 gas hobs plus a electric hotplate element. I really don't get why you'd want that other than maybe some folks only use that for a kettle when they are on a pitch. I for one, would love to have a gas oven. I'd forgo the microwave to maintain the same amount of cabinet space.

Another thing they do is not have a built-in propane tank. They'll have a gas bottle locker. It would be alot more convenient to just carry a 20# bottle to get refilled.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:15 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
In most B vans, the bathrooms are barely usuable for showering because the sink is in the way. With it clear, they are more than adequate space for a stand-up shower. Really don't understand why so many insist on the fixed sink.
A few years ago Great West switched the sink to the same side as the toilet. This seemed strange, and worried me before the fact. In actual use, though, it turns out to be a great design. Totally out of the way when showering, and not at all difficult to reach for use -- probably even easier than the more typical hip-bumping position.

VP3306723_31_large.jpg
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 12:19 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Interesting to go on the various websites and see options. On the Vantage Motorhome site, they the usual - more solar, lithium batteries, awnings, but then they have an option to replace the sliding door on the Ducato (Promaster)!
Now that is something I really like. Not the best looking, but to get rid of the slider, we would be all over it.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:00 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
A few years ago Great West switched the sink to the same side as the toilet. This seemed strange, and worried me before the fact. In actual use, though, it turns out to be a great design. Totally out of the way when showering, and not at all difficult to reach for use -- probably even easier than the more typical hip-bumping position.

Attachment 2949
The sink had always been over the toilet in a Great West Van Sprinter Legend. Before 2012 they had the slide out sink vanity over the toilet. Oh so Euro.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:14 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
The sink had always been over the toilet in a Great West Van Sprinter Legend. Before 2012 they had the slide out sink vanity over the toilet. Oh so Euro.
Oh, right. Sorry. That was the one with the leaky drain hose, right?

How did that drawer interact with the bed? Seems like it would have made the driver-side bed hopelessly short.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote