Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2008, 09:44 PM   #1

Default More info on this Class B? 1973 Hall

I am looking at maybe buying this class B van but I can't find any info about it on the WEB. It is very unique but wanted to try and find some more info on it before I buy.

Link to ad:
http://salem.craigslist.org/rvs/665728121.html

"1973 Hall Motor Home 23' Class "B". 25,000 miles on Dodge 360 engine (receipts available), generator, roof A.C., microwave, rear corner bed, all fiberglass construction with metal framing. $4,495.00 o.b.o."

Any Info anyone can tell me would be great.. Or any links to read more about them.. The RV dealer made it sould like there was a following for these but I can not even find a referance to another one.
Floydx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:31 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Hopefully someone will know something about it. I spent 1/2 hour on Google with no success finding out anything about it.

Looks like it was listed at $5,395 at some point:

http://www.open.org/~tomsrvs/inv/53/1.htm

and now $4,495.00 o.b.o.

http://www.toms-rvs.com/inv/53/1.htm
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:53 PM   #3

I find it interesting that a van from 73 would have a microwave. maybe they did some DIY add ons as the years went by?
Old 05-09-2008, 02:56 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Make sure the engine has been re-built. Engines made in 1973 were designed to use leaded gasoline. Using unleaded would slowly burn out the valves.

If the engine is rebuilt, you have to worry about wheel bearings, transmission, differential and basically anything mechanical. You could take it to a garage to have it checked out but most mechanics now days would just look at it and wonder what to do. I had major engine problems with my RV. I took it to 2 mechanics and both had no idea what to do with a carborator. My RV didn't have a plug to connect a computer to so they were lost.

I have a Dodge 360 in my "C" Class and get about 10mpg. It weighs about 7500lbs. I would think that unit would get better.
renrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:44 PM   #5

Thanks for the replys. I ended up makeing an offer on it and will pick it up Friday. It's cool they still had all the documentation on it and even a review from trailer life back in 1973 about it. There were only 131 made of the Hall GTC's and according to the writing on the sales sheet it was the last one made. The review has tons of info and rated it as way ahead of it's time. I plan to find somewhere to post all the info incase someone else ever goes looking for info. With only 4 referances showing up in all the search engines it makes me guess that few are left.

The big plus to me about it is just how much room there is inside for it being a class B and the one part fiberglass steel reinforced shell make it a plus living in oregon where so many RV's die due to water damage.

The engine was rebuilt a few years ago and has 25,000 miles since. Every thing appears to work and I figure stuff can be replaced for the price I am getting it at if needed.

Should be a fun project .. I've done alot of work on cars and trucks so this should be a nice mix of House and Auto.

The carpet will be the first thing to go.

Thanks for all that looked into this!

Eric
Floydx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:01 PM   #6

Default 1973 Hall GTC Dodge RV

Just bought a 1973 Hall GTC Dodge. We need any manuals, paperwork, documentation regarding it. If anyone out there has such documentation, can we please receive a copy from you either email or whatever? Really need this. No information came with the RV other than the pink slip.
Thank you
Sharinali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 12:09 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Make sure the engine has been re-built. Engines made in 1973 were designed to use leaded gasoline. Using unleaded would slowly burn out the valves.
To clarify, the engine does not need rebuilding. You would need to get hardened valve seats installed in the heads. You can remove the heads yourself but you need a machine shop to install the valve seats.

It's also a good idea when the heads are off to have them shaved to ensure they are perfectly flat. This will actually raise your compression slightly.

A full head rebuild which includes the springs, valves, seats etc should run you $500-750 not including removal and replacement.

One other item I would suggest rebuilding if it wasn't already done with the engine would be the carburetor. That will probably cost you a few hundred dollars but will fix TONS of issues you will run into over time.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydx View Post
I am looking at maybe buying this class B van but I can't find any info about it on the WEB. It is very unique but wanted to try and find some more info on it before I buy.

Link to ad:
http://salem.craigslist.org/rvs/665728121.html

"1973 Hall Motor Home 23' Class "B". 25,000 miles on Dodge 360 engine (receipts available), generator, roof A.C., microwave, rear corner bed, all fiberglass construction with metal framing. $4,495.00 o.b.o."

Any Info anyone can tell me would be great.. Or any links to read more about them.. The RV dealer made it sould like there was a following for these but I can not even find a referance to another one.
Check out Hall GTC Forum at:
http://www.hallgtc.com/forum/

We just purchased a 73 Hall from Craig's list. We are getting some help with ours.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:35 AM   #9

You haven't posted since 2008. Did you get the Hall GTC and if so, how is it coming along? By the way, there were 200 built. We have number 140. Your VIN should be five numbers. First two should be the year (73 maybe 74) followed by the number of the production line. Let us know how you are doing. Would like to see a current post from you.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydx View Post
Thanks for the replys. I ended up makeing an offer on it and will pick it up Friday. It's cool they still had all the documentation on it and even a review from trailer life back in 1973 about it. There were only 131 made of the Hall GTC's and according to the writing on the sales sheet it was the last one made. The review has tons of info and rated it as way ahead of it's time. I plan to find somewhere to post all the info incase someone else ever goes looking for info. With only 4 referances showing up in all the search engines it makes me guess that few are left.

The big plus to me about it is just how much room there is inside for it being a class B and the one part fiberglass steel reinforced shell make it a plus living in oregon where so many RV's die due to water damage.

The engine was rebuilt a few years ago and has 25,000 miles since. Every thing appears to work and I figure stuff can be replaced for the price I am getting it at if needed.

Should be a fun project .. I've done alot of work on cars and trucks so this should be a nice mix of House and Auto.

The carpet will be the first thing to go.

Thanks for all that looked into this!

Eric

You haven't posted since 2008. Did you get the Hall GTC and if so, how is it coming along? By the way, there were 200 built. We have number 140. Your VIN should be five numbers. First two should be the year (73 maybe 74) followed by the number of the production line. Let us know how you are doing. Would like to see a current post from you.