Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2016, 08:23 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default More on camping with pets

During my last camping trip, I found a dog wandering around about 100 yards away from the campsites. It was by itself on the beach. I picked it up, walked around the campground, found the campsite with the dog play toys and returned it to its owner. He was inside his RV and hadn't realized that the dog had gotten away. Even if that dog had an implanted chip, it would be difficult to figure out where it belonged that particular day using it. It's also not likely that a scanner for that chip would be located anywhere near the state park.

I realized today that this might have helped in that situation: a luggage tag (or something similar that you could write on) on the dog's collar that said, "I'm with the _____ family and we're staying at campsite #______ until ______. Our cell phone number is ________. Even if the owner somehow accidently left without the pet, having the name, date and cell number on the tag would allow park rangers to easily trace and contact who was staying there at the time.
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:16 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Good idea. I'm sure that you could sell something like that if you made pet specific ones rather than just a luggage tag.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:46 PM   #3
g1g
Platinum Member

When I recently moved, mine got locked outside my stick house and I didn't realize it. a neighbor picked her up and looked at the collar and called the phone number and the chip place called me. I told them my dog was right her but when I looked for her aand couldn't find her in the house, I then asked them where she was. I met up with the neighbor and she was home again.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:32 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaGuy View Post
I realized today that this might have helped in that situation: a luggage tag (or something similar that you could write on) on the dog's collar that said, "I'm with the _____ family and we're staying at campsite #______ until ______. Our cell phone number is ________. Even if the owner somehow accidently left without the pet, having the name, date and cell number on the tag would allow park rangers to easily trace and contact who was staying there at the time.
That would require that the tag be modified at each campground change. Why not indicate the make, model and licence plate number of the owner's RV?
WJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:56 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Good point!!!
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote