Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default MOTORCYCLES - who does?

Wondering how many "Class B - Adventurers" also Ride, tour with and otherwise Use &/or Enjoy motorcycles? Do you take along a motorcycle/scooter when traveling with your 'B'. Any other ideas for combining Motorcycles with the Class B culture?? What are some favorite trips with or including Motorcycles? I am looking forward to reading some stories... Thnx, Ric. in Arizona
AZ ADVenturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:08 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: MOTORCYCLES - who does?

Yeah!! Another 'B' owner enthusiastic about motorcycles!
My spouse and I enjoy long GoldWing rides (>2000 km) as well as B camping. Alas, she will not allow me to combine both. I was looking at a trailer for the GW behind the B, but she will not hear of it. Either one or the other, but if I take both she believes she will be ignored. Nevertheless, I feel so fortunate to be able to own both that I will listen to her on this.
2011 Malibu LT - wonderful winter wheels
Johnny R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Johnny; Good to hear from another Rider & 'B' traveler. We use our RoadTrek & motorcycles for different purposes, much as you said. With the R/T we usually travel fast, far & light - stopping/camping for a night or two while enroute to a destination point - usually Montana, Oregon, Washington St. or New Mexico/Colorado. We've had the R/T for less than 2 years but, over 20k miles in that time. We are planing a summer trip to B.C., Yukon & S.E. Alaska with the RoadTrek.
I have two pretty old motorcycles - a 1989 BMW R100 GS (dualSport). Bought it new in '89 and now has 107,000 miles & still going strong. That moto has been ridden to & in every western State except Oregon, including South Dakota, Nebraska & Texas; Plus parts of Mexico & Baja Peninsula. I don't like to trailer a moto - so I Ride!
I also have a 1996 Suzuki DR350 enduro. I like riding dirt trails & country roads. I bought a folding trailer last year & probably will carry the Suzuki behind the R/T on some of our shorter excursions. So, keep Riding, ride far, ride Safe!!
Any other RIDERS?? S/RIC. in Arizona
Old 03-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I guess it's just you and me AZ. Enjoy!
Old 03-02-2012, 12:13 AM   #5
Platinum Member

I just got another motorcycle last year. It's been years since I had one and am now glad I have one again. Believe it or not, my wife told me to go buy one. She was hoping if I bought a bike, I would not buy a new camper. Didn't work. Bought the new camper and bike.

When I was a lot younger, friends and I would travel all over Ontario and down to the upper States quite a bit. A friend and I went to BC and back in 1985. Beautiful trip and a lot of fun. Use to drive up to our parents cottages to go water skiing and other water sports. Use to go to Sauble Beech a lot too. Our bikes were our primary mean of getting around. We even use to get them out once and a while during the winter if the roads were clear.

Now I have a new bike, I doubt I will be driving as much as I use to. Gas prices and family sort of limit things now. I can drive about 400km for between $20 and $25. It's a lot better than my truck. Love just going for a drive after work to wind down. I was thinking of going to Port Dover this year for the Friday the 13th events. It's a huge event and I have to try to get to it at least once.

I don't have any place to put it when we go camping. It's not a large bike by engine size but it is large physically. It's a 650cc but it has a 6 gallon tank and high suspension because it is a dual purpose bike. I'll probably go for a few trips this summer but I hope to have a couple other people go with me. It's a lot better having several people than going by myself.
renrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:04 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Hey, Welcome to this discussion, Good to hear from another Rider. Ric.

RENRUT wrote:
"a 650cc but it has a 6 gallon tank and high suspension because it is a dual purpose bike"
So, let me guess - it's a Kawi KLR 650? or Honda XR, or Suzuki DR650? All fine motos!
I especially like Dual Purpose (we call 'em Dual Sport in the States). Kinda' the 'Swiss Army knife'
of motorcycles. They do a lot of things O.K. - excel at Nothing but FUN.
You guys in Canada even get some really cool ones that we don't get down here. Sometimes we see
an Africa Twin or Varadero or 660 Tenere' that comes in "Gray Market" but they are expensive that way.
Best Regards, Ric.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #7
Platinum Member

My bike is a Kawi KLR650. Love it. Use to have a Honda XL500 years ago but the timing chain went on it. We call the bikes dual purpose or Eduros.

I've had a few motorcycles through the years. Started with a 76 Honda Supersport 400-4 classic bike. Sold that one and bought the XL500. Moved up to an 81 Yamaha 400 Maxum but got rid of it within a few weeks. The suspension was no good on it and the dealer would not replace it. Went from the Maxum to a 81 Yamaha 550 Vision. Great bike and probably my best one. Had shaft drive, ram-air, over a 4 gallon tank and it was big so it fit me. Drove it from Southern Ontario to Vancouver Island and back. When I started working with my current employer, I had to trade it in on a newer 4 wheeled vehicle. Bought another bike in the mid 90's and it was a Honda 450 Custom. Great for going to and from work. Got rid of that one and didn't look for another one since I moved to Manitoba. Motorcycle insurance out there is outrageous. Guys I worked with were paying over $2500 a year for insurance on bikes worth $1200 or less.

Just waiting for the roads to clear up and I will be back on the road again.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:28 AM   #8
Platinum Member

AZ ADVenturist wrote:
"1989 BMW R100 GS (dualSport). Bought it new in '89 and now has 107,000 miles & still going strong. That moto has been ridden to & in every western State except Oregon, including South Dakota, Nebraska & Texas; Plus parts of Mexico & Baja Peninsula. I don't like to trailer a moto - so I Ride!""
Here is my map of U.S. States that I've ridden to & In:

Anybody else care to post a map? Canadian Provinces anyone?
I know there are some who have been to Mexico & Alaska - Who ARE You??
Later, Ric.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg McycVisitedStatesMap.jpg (14.3 KB, 1685 views)
Old 03-06-2012, 01:34 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renrut
My bike is a Kawi KLR650. Love it. Use to have a Honda XL500 years ago but the timing chain went on it. We call the bikes dual purpose or Eduros.

I've had a few motorcycles through the years. Started with a 76 Honda Supersport 400-4 classic bike. Sold that one and bought the XL500. Moved up to an 81 Yamaha 400 Maxum but got rid of it within a few weeks. The suspension was no good on it and the dealer would not replace it. Went from the Maxum to a 81 Yamaha 550 Vision. Great bike and probably my best one. Had shaft drive, ram-air, over a 4 gallon tank and it was big so it fit me. Drove it from Southern Ontario to Vancouver Island and back. When I started working with my current employer, I had to trade it in on a newer 4 wheeled vehicle. Bought another bike in the mid 90's and it was a Honda 450 Custom. Great for going to and from work. Got rid of that one and didn't look for another one since I moved to Manitoba. Motorcycle insurance out there is outrageous. Guys I worked with were paying over $2500 a year for insurance on bikes worth $1200 or less.

Just waiting for the roads to clear up and I will be back on the road again.
You've had some great rides there! Insurance in Canada is brutal. I thought $150. per year for Liability was bad enough. I like the KLR a lot. Know guys who take 'em where dirt bikes fear to tread...
Old 03-06-2012, 11:52 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Don't have a map but I've driven from Southern Ontario to Vancouver Island and back through Canada, drove countless miles throughout Ontario, drove to New York State, drove most of Nova Scotia and the North-Eastern States from Nova Scotia to Ontario. Just got my new bike last year and haven't had a chance to do any travelling yet.

Just got my Moto out of storage this evening. It's suppose to warm up a lot by tomorrow so I decided to get it out. Hope to take it to work tomorrow and then for for a nice ride after. Hopefully it will stay warm. The bike is so much cheaper to drive than my truck and a lot more enjoyable.

The weather has been quite crazy here lately. Saturday it was +6C, dropped to -15C by Sunday morning, now it's going up to +11C tomorrow. We also had a massive wind storm on Saturday and Sunday. Lost my port-a-garage, a section of my fence and some shingles off the house. A neighbour lost most of the shingles off his roof. Gusts were up to 90km/h (45mph).
Old 03-07-2012, 01:54 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Here is where to find a link for On Line Maps of Canada Provinces, U.S. States & Mexico:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2038
Check it out it's fun to fill 'em in & post.

We usually ride year 'round in Arizona. Although December is sometimes limited with Holidays.
January is often better than Feb. - temp.wise. Had a really great trip - 550 miles mid. Feb.
Although we rode mostly desert. Got to Lake Havasu City on the Colorado River. A great ride!
I've managed short rides nearly every day in past 2 weeks. Often I ride dirt roads - just to go slower & less wind chill.
REN, do I understand that you live in Manitoba - correct? I've not been there. Only B.C. & Alberta.
I'm orig. from Montana, so know what cold is! In much younger days I could ride in winter in Mont.
Can't take as much cold now...
Thanks for posting your comments. Ric.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:29 AM   #12
Platinum Member

It snowed today. I didn't ride. Maybe tomorrow.
Here is a link to a picture of my Class B RoadTrek, my BMW motorcycle & youngest GrandSon - he is 20, the R/T is 10 & the moto is 23 years old. WoW!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.p ... st17833938
Old 03-11-2012, 01:33 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ ADVenturist
It snowed today. I didn't ride. Maybe tomorrow.
Here is a link to a picture of my Class B RoadTrek, my BMW motorcycle & youngest GrandSon - he is 20, the R/T is 10 & the moto is 23 years old. WoW!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.p ... st17833938
Here is an interesting picture:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2274 (Small).jpg (64.2 KB, 953 views)
Old 03-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #14
Platinum Member

I posted a picture of my bike a little while ago. Here is the thread.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1819

My son had to be in the picture.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:15 PM   #15
Platinum Member

REN; Great looking KLR, My brother has one near identical. He really likes it & rides dirt trails like a Baja racer. Your son looks like an enthusiast too. Does he get to ride with you sometimes?
Start 'em young, teach him to ride dirt bike - he'll be a lifetime SAFE rider!
Regards, Ric.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:36 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Default Re: MOTORCYCLE - Gr8t Ride!

Wow, just completed another really great & mostly safe Motorcycle trip - 950 miles in 3 days!
Left early Thursday morn. about 40f. Rode as fast as possible to get down to the desert & warmer temps. Met Bro. Mike on his Triumph north of Phoenix. Rode some of the fun roads to skirt the metro. area to Apache Junction, then east on Hwy 60 to Globe. Up the Salt river Canyon curves to Show Low. Got to Alpine, AZ at 8,000ft. early evening as it was starting to get Cold.
Left Alpine Friday morn. about 9:30am, 35 degrees F. Snow on both sides of roadway as we climbed to 9400 ft. Then back down the Coronado Trail (old Hwy 666) - 60+ miles of real twisty/FUN road to the mining district of Morenci/Clifton. Two wild mountain sheep ran directly in front of my Old BMW motorcycle - missed collision by inches - Lucky Me! Spent Friday night in Tucson. WAy warmer than Alpine. Early Saturday back toward Globe through canyons & mountains. Apache Junct. & home to Prescott area by 5:30pm as the storm was building in North & West.
It snowed all night, woke-up this morn. to about 3" on the ground. Glad I got home before the snow hit! Fun, FUN! Ric.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:30 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

ATTENTION RENRUT: if you're still following this thread, I just thought I'd remind you that Friday
the 13th number two for 2012, is this Friday. If you miss it, there's one more in July.
Port Dover beckons you.
http://www.pd13.com/

To all of you who ride. Be careful, stay safe.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:34 AM   #18
Platinum Member

I was there last in July 2007. Rode up from Edmonton, stayed in Delhi. Enjoyed every minute!
Old 04-14-2012, 01:16 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
ATTENTION RENRUT: if you're still following this thread, I just thought I'd remind you that Friday
the 13th number two for 2012, is this Friday. If you miss it, there's one more in July.
Port Dover beckons you.
http://www.pd13.com/

To all of you who ride. Be careful, stay safe.
Didn't go this time. My brother couldn't get off work and a friend of mine couldn't make it. I didn't want to go by myself since it's a minimum 8hr round trip. We think we will go in July for the next one as long as it's not raining.

Did have an awesome day on the bike today. Drove almost 700km (450miles) on the bike. Met a friend half way between his place and mine and went for a nice ride. I will say one thing, I haven't gone for a drive like that in years and my back-side is letting me know.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:34 PM   #20
Platinum Member

So, you guys in Canada are riding... While we in No. Central Arizona are getting SNOW & cold Wind. NOT Fair!!