Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2017, 06:35 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default My "New" 2006 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser!

We just got back from an epic fly-and-drive; bus to Denver, plane to Florida, then drove back. 2000 miles +/- in a little over 2 days.

Loving it so far! This was a one owner class b; still had the factory protective plastic on the floor, the bathroom had never been used. Stored in a garage. 22,000 miles. Runs and drives great, and looks almost brand new. We were looking at Travatos first, but realized they were a little out of our budget. We think this will serve us well.

Random pics from our drive:

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:35 PM   #2
Bronze Member

Old 06-30-2017, 07:26 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Wow! That's beautiful! Brave of you to do the long-distance-buy thing. Was it a dealer or a private party?

Looks like you are going to have some fun times ahead!
Phoebe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:16 PM   #4
BBQ
Platinum Member

What a beautiful RV.

Congratulations !
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:01 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Congrats, you have a fine looking B. Really glad you had an enjoyable trip, and know you will have plenty more. Ron
Old 06-30-2017, 10:37 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
Wow! That's beautiful! Brave of you to do the long-distance-buy thing. Was it a dealer or a private party?

Looks like you are going to have some fun times ahead!
This was through a dealer. They provided tons of very good, detailed photos, and info about the original owner that all checked out on CarFax. They had nothing but good reviews online, with lots of happy customers. They took a CC deposit for $1000 to hold it for us for a couple of weeks, and we did a walk through, etc., before we paid the rest. Very easy. If it wasn't as good as we had expected, we would have flown back home, but it was maybe even better. Sunshine State RV's in Gainesville Florida; they specialize in Class B's, and had a ton of them on the lot. I was pleased with their service. They even picked us up at the Orlando aiport (2 hrs away) at 6 am.

Can't wait to take it to our favorite camping spot in the mountains!
Old 07-01-2017, 02:45 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Nice looking coach!

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream
Old 07-01-2017, 07:50 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Did Sunshine verify that the turboresonator was replaced by the original owner, or did they explain to you that you need to do that?
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:48 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Did Sunshine verify that the turboresonator was replaced by the original owner, or did they explain to you that you need to do that?
I've read about the issue, and I think I will install an "eliminator". I have a great mechanic in town that is familiar with this engine, so I'm going to talk to him about it.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:03 AM   #10
Platinum Member

I saw that on RV trader not too long ago, wondered if it was too good to be true. So happy to see it wasn't. Congratulations, it looks and sounds like new.

My turbo resonator was still in working order and my Sprinter is older than yours. I did recently have to replace one of the hoses going to the turbo, it split but my RV has been sitting outside in the southwest for 12 years. Even then it didn't leave me stranded. My mechanic suggested replacing both hoses and the turbo resonator since he was going to be in there, so you may not have to rush out and replace it immediately.

I did replace the resonator because I figured it's just a matter of time and hilly terrain is not so fun without the turbo. However it did reroute the trip and I got to see new places.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it! I think you got a rare find, they're never in that kind of condition.
Lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:25 PM   #11
Bronze Member

Downsizing from a 23' travel trailer with tons of storage space to this class b is a little challenging. Tami (my wife) loved to just have lots of extra stuff in there, especially cooking stuff. The trailer had an oven, 4 burner stove, huge fridge, etc, and she loved to cook in there. There won't be as much of that in the Sprinter.

I'm just now figuring out all of the systems on this thing, especially just the Sprinter van controls. They don't make it simple. LOL Had a couple little issues with things like the adjustable front seat bottoms, the sliding door handle. Finally getting them sorted. We plan to take a little one night shakedown boondocking trip on Tuesday! Can't wait!
Old 07-09-2017, 03:49 AM   #12
Platinum Member

My Sprinter is a littler older than yours but I find the door lock/unlock on the console confusing. The temperature controls are also odd to me and I have to explain it to my passengers.

I'm sure you and your wife will get the hang of what will fit and what won't. I managed to fit more in the refrigerator than I ever expected and have sufficient amount of space for dishes and food by use of dividers and an extra shelf.

Your door locks may be different than mine but my mechanic suggested using the console door control to unlock the doors and keep the contacts on the doors clean (I had issues with my door locks).
Lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 12:54 PM   #13
Bronze Member

The locks were the most confusing part! I had to read the manual! And the temp controls, and REST/ Heater booster, etc.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:29 PM   #14
Bronze Member

We're also coming from a fantastic boondocking trailer, and we're finding that we will need more battery storage capacity- I'm probably going to have to add a battery box. We'd also like to add solar panels. The refrigerator in the sprinter is electric only (no propane) so it drains constantly when not moving or plugged in. We have some wimpy portable panels now, but I don't think they will keep up.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:51 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
I've read about the issue, and I think I will install an "eliminator". I have a great mechanic in town that is familiar with this engine, so I'm going to talk to him about it.
Where in CO are you? I Denver bound in the next 30 days.
saenzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:53 PM   #16
Platinum Member

What a nice rig and good beer choice too. Congrats!
Old 07-09-2017, 11:57 PM   #17
Bronze Member

I'm in Salida, but we are on the road a lot, playing gigs throughout CO and NM. We'll be headed to the midwest for shows this fall.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:50 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Gigs! We will have to come watch. Hope to hook up in CO. Cheers!
Old 07-10-2017, 12:48 PM   #19
Bronze Member

Cool! Don't want to spam this thread, but we're "Pint & a Half". Look us up on Facebook, instagram, Reverbnation, or our site is pintandahalfmusic dot com. We may be touring through TX over the winter or in the spring.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:16 PM   #20
Bronze Member

First gig using the Sprinter last night! Opened for Shake Russell and Michael Hearne. Tonight will be our first "camping" trip, boondocking in the mountains near Cochetopa Pass. Loving it so far!