Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2017, 02:04 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Nacimiento-ferguson Road, California

Rated one of the worlds best motorcycle roads and one of its most dangerous, the Nacimiento-Ferguson Road in Big Sur has amazing scenery. Has anyone travelled it in a 23' Class B?
Craig.Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 03:29 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Looking at Google Maps, it looks a lot like CA State Highway 175, near Clear Lake. Highway 175 is supposed to be able to handle vehicles up to 39', but I had ***serious*** difficulty in my run-of-the-mill minivan. No, I wasn't towing anything. The hairpin turns were just too sharp and they couldn't accommodate two vehicles passing each other--one had to back up. It didn't help that some of those hairpins were on the side of a cliff.

After yelling at my GPS for calling it a "highway" (it's like a 1.5 lane paved goat trail), I managed to turn around and go back to a real highway.
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:24 AM   #3
Bronze Member

Thanks for the reply, sounds like it should be approached with caution
Craig.Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:31 PM   #4
J&L

It's really up to your level of comfort, and since you are asking this question, you should ask yourself, how comfortable you are with your vehicle, and narrow mountain roads?

Take a look at it on google maps, satellite view and street view. It is narrow, less than 2 lanes, and windy. OTH - it does not get much traffic either, but it is well maintained. I've driven it in a car many times, and one day I will likely drive it in my, yet to be delivered, class B, a shorter, Hymer Aktiv.

As I said, how comfortable are you with mountain roads? I would not trust my sister from the flatlands of Indiana to drive on that road in a car! It's not a "beginner mountain road".

Also, I would not do it during a storm, our dirt mountains do tend to have mud slides. And check with: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/lpnf/...telprdb5347980 for road closures.

If you do choose to go, remember to share the road, pull over to let people pass, the few drivers your encounter will be very familiar with the road, and will want to go faster than you. And stop at the pull outs to take in the scenery, with no guard rails, you can't afford to take your eyes off the road.

And if you are really adventurous and want to do a free, gorgeous, primitive campground: https://www.theoutbound.com/san-fran...-prewitt-ridge. May not want to do it in the winter, it is a dirt road. Once again check with the forest service, but it is, or was when I went, passable with 2wd, low clearance. Did it in a Prius. After writing this, I want to go back.
J&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:18 PM   #5
Bronze Member

I've ridden that road on a motorcycle and driven it in a convertible. Both excellent times. I'm not sure it would be all that fun in a Class B. Doable perhaps, but not enjoyable. The scenery in that whole area is stunning enough.
JohnMFlores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 03:45 AM   #6

Check to make sure it's open - the Sobranes fire last summer was in that area
pammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 06:45 PM   #7
Platinum Member

For me, it comes down to how enjoyable the ride would be. When I've driven roads like that, the views were spectacular, but I was so focused on keeping from driving off the cliffs that it wasn't fun at all. On a crazy cliffside route to Yosemite (thanks Garmin), both me and my passenger got carsick.

If you're the type who wants to "prove" that it can be driven in an RV, then go ahead. Just don't assume that you'll be enjoying the drive or enjoying the view. And don't assume that your passenger(s) will be happy. Yes, you may get to a really great campground, but you'll probably be too exhausted to have a good time.
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:02 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaGuy View Post
For me, it comes down to how enjoyable the ride would be. When I've driven roads like that, the views were spectacular, but I was so focused on keeping from driving off the cliffs that it wasn't fun at all. On a crazy cliffside route to Yosemite (thanks Garmin), both me and my passenger got carsick.

If you're the type who wants to "prove" that it can be driven in an RV, then go ahead. Just don't assume that you'll be enjoying the drive or enjoying the view. And don't assume that your passenger(s) will be happy. Yes, you may get to a really great campground, but you'll probably be too exhausted to have a good time.
Roads like this is why we generally have a Kawasaki Versys in our trailer on most trips. Mucho fun.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:36 AM   #9
Platinum Member

The best of all possible worlds - motorcycles & camping - 2 thumbs up ^^
AZ ADVenturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:43 AM   #10
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ ADVenturist View Post
The best of all possible worlds - motorcycles & camping - 2 thumbs up ^^

Have you considered an e bike? If so, any comments?

Thank you.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:03 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Good question. Have looked into elect. Fat tire mtn bike. Brother has one & loves it. But at the cost, I can buy a couple small/mid-size used dirt/dual sports. Besides, already have garage full (5) motorcycles. All running & ridden, but require attention. So, guess I'm addicted to fossil fuel & obsessed w/old Mcycles.
AZ ADVenturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 05:48 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Besides, already have garage full (5) motorcycles.
Excellent.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:58 AM   #13

I've ridden it many times, and driven it in the Sportsmobile Sprinter I used to own. It is a technical road, and much of it is too narrow for a centerline. That said, I have no idea why anyone would say it's one of the most dangerous motorcycle roads in the world. It's really operator dependent. An operator who can keep track of the corners of his vehicle, turning radius, and estimate appropriate turn-in points won't have a problem.
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote