Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Narrow roads and vehicle choice...

I found a very good deal on a class "C" rig near me, so decided to look into that. However, a couple weeks ago, had an experience that definitely makes a "C" out of the picture. One area I plan to start boondocking at has narrow, shoulder-less roads going in and out. With passing cars (decent drivers who didn't take their half of the road out of the center), I had at best 12 inches between mirrors on my daily driver (a pickup truck).

A "C" would either have to be driven off the road every 500 or so feet to accompany other traffic on that narrow road, it might get its mirror, possibly a chunk of side, "shaved" off.

Is it just me, or do other people drive on narrow roads that make almost anything but a "B" almost a hazard?
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Narrow roads and vehicle choice...

For a C it is not only width it is height. Glacier NP's Going to the Sun Road is really not all that constrictive for width and length in my mind but if you travel east to west there is definitely a 10 foot height limit at some overhanging rock formations. Same can be said for the Needles Highway in the Blackhills. You'll never get a C through the Daniel Boone National Parkway in Kentucky as the majority of it is only 15'-7" wide with absolutely no shoulders much of the way. If you drive per a GPS directions from Bardstown, KY to Maker's Mark Distillery be ready for a harrowing drive on back roads called Maker's Mark. You'll swear it is a one lane 55 mph highway. Two Cs could not pass by each other let alone a B and a small car without a small amount of wincing and fear (been there done that). Of course there are the numerous small boondocking area roads like you mentioned and the many national forests. I've been in a lot of spots where I thought a B was pushing the limits but I have yet not been anywhere I couldn't go...yet, with the exception of off road and irregular surfaces were 4x4 only was appropriate.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:47 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Well, one could possibly take a "C" through Glacier NP... it would make a nice convertible once done, however.

You are right about height. Storage space where I am is very limited, and ten feet of height is tops, period. That is another factor.

Another thing about "C" rigs is that there are items that you have to check if they are there... Stuff you take for granted in a "B", mainly automotive-grade items. Things like a rear view camera, adjustable steering wheel, locking glove box, very leak resistant roof, and the fact that a "B" will not rot in 4-5 years to scrap value because there was a small crack that caused delamination over time due to water intrusion.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:38 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

What make/model/year C was it?
Was it Sprinter based or Ford/GM chassis based?
Not all class C RVs are width or height challenged.
They do have some nice features you won't get in a B. Usually loads of storage and usually a more conventional bathroom, with residential home type fixtures and amenities.
Since it sounds like you're got your itinerary pretty much pre-determined, maybe a small C, perhaps with a more agile toad, might be a better option for you. If you plan on traveling down skinny roads with height restrictions, you'll have to consider that when you make up your mind. Toads generally aren't bothered by terrain or road restrictions.