Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-07-2018, 12:32 AM   #1
Bronze Member
 
floydj@me.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 20
Default Navigation & GPS on Pleasure Way Ascent

We are new owners of a 2017 Pleasure Way Ascent and Sprinter chassis. We've ridden motorcycles for years and always used the Harley website to create a custom route to travel before downloading it to the GPS device on the bike. We so love to plot a trip and then just follow it on our GPS.

What are others doing with setting up a custom route and what GPS device are you using? The Becker pilot seems clumbsy compared to the Garmin. What apps or other software are being used in the RV travels?

Thank you in advance for sharing any wisdom from your experiences. We appreciate it and look forward to our RV journey!!
__________________

floydj@me.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:42 AM   #2
Site Team
 
avanti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,361
Default

I know of no really good ones that interact well with GPS units.

For trip planning, https://roadtrippers.com isn't bad. It is quite good at finding restaurants, attractions, and lodging along the way.
__________________

__________________
Formerly: 2005 Airstream Interstate (Sprinter 2500 T1N)
Now!: 2014 Great West Vans Legend SE (Sprinter 3500 NCV3 I4)
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 02:07 AM   #3
Bronze Member
 
floydj@me.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 20
Default Thanks

I like road trippers app and think they are on to something pretty cool. But it still doesn’t navigate a whole trip at one time. Thanks for the insights.
floydj@me.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:01 PM   #4
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: FLORIDA
Posts: 5
Default

I hated my Becker so much that I found a 6 inch Garmin on Amazon for $100, and use it constantly. Basecamp and I believe google maps has ways to plan and load trips.

Paul
2017 Ascent
Marathonpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:14 PM   #5
Site Team
 
avanti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathonpaul View Post
Basecamp and I believe google maps has ways to plan and load trips.
The problem with Google Maps (last time I checked) is that it has an arbitrary limit of something like 12 waypoints, which is not nearly enough for a complex trip.
__________________
Formerly: 2005 Airstream Interstate (Sprinter 2500 T1N)
Now!: 2014 Great West Vans Legend SE (Sprinter 3500 NCV3 I4)
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:23 PM   #6
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 3
Default becker map pilot

We're new owners of a 2018 Pleasureway Ascent. I am unable to get the Becker Map Pilot to work-it's message is that there is no navigation module detected. I'm thinking maybe the battery in it is no good? Otherwise go to Mercedes dealer?
wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:38 PM   #7
Site Team
 
avanti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wash View Post
We're new owners of a 2018 Pleasureway Ascent. I am unable to get the Becker Map Pilot to work-it's message is that there is no navigation module detected. I'm thinking maybe the battery in it is no good? Otherwise go to Mercedes dealer?
Are you sure you actually HAVE the navigation module? It would be in a socket inside your glove box. Often removing and reinstalling it will remedy such problems. There is also a reset button on the module. The battery in the module is rechargeable and should recharge when plugged into the van. As a last resort, try plugging the module into a computer using a USB cord. You should be able to reinstall/update the firmware using the Becker Map Pilot software you can download from their website.
__________________
Formerly: 2005 Airstream Interstate (Sprinter 2500 T1N)
Now!: 2014 Great West Vans Legend SE (Sprinter 3500 NCV3 I4)
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:55 PM   #8
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,776
Default

We plot our very custom route trips with Garmin Basecamp on the laptop, and then transfer it directly to the GPS. Basecamp is a bit wonky to use, but allows you to chose exactly what roads you want to take, without it freelancing, because it uses the same maps, and apparently calculating algorithm, as the GPS itself. The planning on Basecamp is the typical drag and drop the route routine like most route planners.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:08 PM   #9
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Are you sure you actually HAVE the navigation module? It would be in a socket inside your glove box. Often removing and reinstalling it will remedy such problems. There is also a reset button on the module. The battery in the module is rechargeable and should recharge when plugged into the van. As a last resort, try plugging the module into a computer using a USB cord. You should be able to reinstall/update the firmware using the Becker Map Pilot software you can download from their website.
I have had it in and out several times and have had it in computer-registered, downloaded maps. I'll try the reset button. Thank you!
wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:17 PM   #10
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Oregon
Posts: 5
Default Becker is GARBAGE!!

In every single way, the Becker “system” that arrives in a PW is total, unmitigated crap.

When we purchased our 2017 Ascent, we asked about iPhone connectivity, GPS, apps like Sirius and Pandora, etc. We were told by the Salesman,
“Well it’s a Mercedes! So yeah!”.
uh. So no.

We chose to completely replace the Becker “system” top to bottom. We had a Kenwood Apple Play in-dash unit installed along with some high quality speakers (the Becker speakers have paper cones. Seriously). Installation was seamless and the back-up cam integrated beautifully.

Until we decided to go this way, we used our Tom-Tom with good results.
rlpack1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:02 PM   #11
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 3
Default

Seems to be a common problem but haven't heard any solutions yet.Tried reset and nothing. I'll talk to Mercedes dealer.
wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:29 PM   #12
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: FLORIDA
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wash View Post
We're new owners of a 2018 Pleasureway Ascent. I am unable to get the Becker Map Pilot to work-it's message is that there is no navigation module detected. I'm thinking maybe the battery in it is no good? Otherwise go to Mercedes dealer?

Check the glove box for the map module.
Marathonpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:28 PM   #13
BBQ
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: East
Posts: 2,484
Default

.

Becker used to be good radios.

I am talking about the 60s
__________________
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 02:54 PM   #14
Bronze Member
 
floydj@me.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 20
Default GPS

I am considering a Garmin RV 760LMT. I've used BaseCamp in the past and it is clunky but workable.

If Google Maps has limitatons of 12 waypoints as another person commented, then that system doesn't make sense for 3000 mile trip.

I do like to have the route be exaclty what we create it to be and then transer to the GPS as well.

Thanks for the comments and insights.


Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
We plot our very custom route trips with Garmin Basecamp on the laptop, and then transfer it directly to the GPS. Basecamp is a bit wonky to use, but allows you to chose exactly what roads you want to take, without it freelancing, because it uses the same maps, and apparently calculating algorithm, as the GPS itself. The planning on Basecamp is the typical drag and drop the route routine like most route planners.
floydj@me.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 03:22 PM   #15
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,776
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydj@me.com View Post
I am considering a Garmin RV 760LMT. I've used BaseCamp in the past and it is clunky but workable.

If Google Maps has limitatons of 12 waypoints as another person commented, then that system doesn't make sense for 3000 mile trip.

I do like to have the route be exaclty what we create it to be and then transer to the GPS as well.

Thanks for the comments and insights.

We got a new Garmin 2639 LMT a few months ago, mostly to allow us to get a rear camera on the same screen. GPS City had very good pricing on them so to good to pass up. Works well for us.


It will be interesting to see how you like the RV version if you get it. The people who have gotten the Garmin RV versions have had really mixed reviews of them. I do know from our experience on the non RV versions that the Gamin POI and things and other reference stuff like gas stations is not very complete or up to date, so I hope they do a better job on things like campgrounds and parks in the RV version.



I think that with Basecamp you can use it forever and then still stumble over shortcuts nobody tells you about. I had always like to layout a complete route for a trip, knowing that there would be changes as we went. What we found was that getting the GPS to pickup a radically altered route midtrip was a challenge sometimes, as it would freelance to get back to the route when we would restart in the morning. Making changes in the middle of a long custom route also gives you the risk of it recalculating the route in areas you don't want it to, or losing it completely so I didn't like changing a small part in the middle. The turn by turn list gets incredibly long in a 7K+ trip, and even the waypoints plus the many shaping point list is long. I had never been very successful in plucking out part of a long route and have it carry with it all the custom routing that we had in it, so I could just add a new start point and put in a customized path back to the original route. I finally came across a way to do it, so now I usually have the complete route roughly laid out to chose the roads we think we will want, and then pluck out the next days drive area and tweak it with any changes we need or want
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 02:41 PM   #16
Bronze Member
 
floydj@me.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 20
Default Garmin RV 770???

Booster,
You provided great reply and one from experience. The more I read about the 770 the more concerned I get. It also seems that there isn't any one GPS that solves travel issues.

I would hope that Garmin has updated the software to address key issues mentioned on several websites, Amazon included. I didn't find any 2018 posts, all were in 2017.

Seems I need to do a bit more homework before spending the money. Maybe the 660 version.

Thanks for the comments and insights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
We got a new Garmin 2639 LMT a few months ago, mostly to allow us to get a rear camera on the same screen. GPS City had very good pricing on them so to good to pass up. Works well for us.


It will be interesting to see how you like the RV version if you get it. The people who have gotten the Garmin RV versions have had really mixed reviews of them. I do know from our experience on the non RV versions that the Gamin POI and things and other reference stuff like gas stations is not very complete or up to date, so I hope they do a better job on things like campgrounds and parks in the RV version.



I think that with Basecamp you can use it forever and then still stumble over shortcuts nobody tells you about. I had always like to layout a complete route for a trip, knowing that there would be changes as we went. What we found was that getting the GPS to pickup a radically altered route midtrip was a challenge sometimes, as it would freelance to get back to the route when we would restart in the morning. Making changes in the middle of a long custom route also gives you the risk of it recalculating the route in areas you don't want it to, or losing it completely so I didn't like changing a small part in the middle. The turn by turn list gets incredibly long in a 7K+ trip, and even the waypoints plus the many shaping point list is long. I had never been very successful in plucking out part of a long route and have it carry with it all the custom routing that we had in it, so I could just add a new start point and put in a customized path back to the original route. I finally came across a way to do it, so now I usually have the complete route roughly laid out to chose the roads we think we will want, and then pluck out the next days drive area and tweak it with any changes we need or want
floydj@me.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:18 PM   #17
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: CA
Posts: 1,157
Default Kenwood DNX893s

We had an old outdated Eclipse system in our RS Adventurous..I replaced it with this integrated system and find find it to be great.....


Kenwood eXcelon DNX893S https://g.co/kgs/sUgS4E
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:59 PM   #18
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: CA
Posts: 1,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
We got a new Garmin 2639 LMT a few months ago, mostly to allow us to get a rear camera on the same screen. GPS City had very good pricing on them so to good to pass up. Works well for us.
Is the camera a BC-30? The license plate backup camera on our 210 gets pretty much blocked when carrying bikes and I've been tempted to get a BC-30 for our LMT770 but I've read some criticism of this camera regarding lack of night vision capability (no infra-red?) and the 640 x 480 resolution that produces fuzzy images when viewing more distant objects. What's been your experience?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:36 PM   #19
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: CA
Posts: 1,157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
Is the camera a BC-30? The license plate backup camera on our 210 gets pretty much blocked when carrying bikes and I've been tempted to get a BC-30 for our LMT770 but I've read some criticism of this camera regarding lack of night vision capability (no infra-red?) and the 640 x 480 resolution that produces fuzzy images when viewing more distant objects. What's been your experience?






We don't have a bike rack...in fact, I had a very long conversation with Yakima directly... they talked me out of the bike rack I wanted.... seems like the rack would "bend" with the stress of the vibration on the rear end of the Sprinter 170 wheelbase. I wanted the rack that would "swing away" for easy access … AND, the "emergency exit" doors of the van are in the back!


I didn't want to have to remove and reinstall the bike rack everywhere I go.
Yakima only sells two racks approved for the Sprinter 170 and neither of them swing away...they basically talked me out of it, at least they were honest.


My back up camera is made by Rydeen Mobile Electronics, its an HD camera with three viewing angles … and professionally installed … NOT on the license plate... and I have rear proximity sensors on the back of the van to make sure I'm not getting too close to anything with an audible alarm.
Also have a front camera... not pictured.


Here's some photos,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Camera on RS Adventurous.jpg (191.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Proximity Sensors on bumper of RS Adventurous.jpg (246.9 KB, 8 views)
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:13 PM   #20
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,776
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
Is the camera a BC-30? The license plate backup camera on our 210 gets pretty much blocked when carrying bikes and I've been tempted to get a BC-30 for our LMT770 but I've read some criticism of this camera regarding lack of night vision capability (no infra-red?) and the 640 x 480 resolution that produces fuzzy images when viewing more distant objects. What's been your experience?

Yes it is the BC30 and most of the criticism are quite valid. Resolution is so-so-so, no night vision. It is better than the Peak 7" we had for display. The two features we bought it for were that it displays on the Garmin, so keeps from needing another screen on the dash, and it has adjustable guidelines so they actually are useful. The shortcomings we can pretty easily live with, as I rarely need a camera to back into spots and we have very high output reverse lights plus an extra pair we can stick on the side of the van if we need them.


The biggest disappointment probably should have been anticipated, and that is the fisheye lens style that it is makes items get small very quickly as the distance behind the van increases, limiting it's usefulness as a rear view mirror. It is good for being able to see things in the close up blind spots for lane changes, though.
__________________

booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ascent, gsp, mercedes becker

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×