Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2019, 03:53 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianm142@hotmail.com View Post
Then close the gas line valve to the Genny and let it shut down due to being starve from no gas in the carburetor
This step is probably the most important thing you can do when putting any gasoline engine into storage. Most likely contributes more to your success than all the other stuff combined. I routinely do it on all my gas engines--genset, motorcycles, snowblowers. Modern gas will stay adequately fresh for a LONG time (years, really), but even pristine gas will quickly evaporate and gum up a carburetor.

Ever small engine should have a fuel petcock.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 05:10 PM   #22
Platinum Member

When I asked the Onan Representative about this some time ago, I was told to disconnect the fuel pump wire or install a switch. Do not valve off the fuel as it could damage the fuel pump.
Also, on mine, there is a carb fuel bowl drain you access from the panel, feel for it at the bottom of the bowl. It is a small spring loaded plunger. Push it up to drain.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 05:22 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
When I asked the Onan Representative about this some time ago, I was told to disconnect the fuel pump wire or install a switch. Do not valve off the fuel as it could damage the fuel pump.
Also on mine, there is a carb fuel bowl drain you access from the panel, feel for it at the bottom of the bowl. It is a small spring loaded plunger. Push it up to drain.
Good point about a switch instead of a petcock when dealing with an electric fuel pump. My antique motorcycle genes are showing through. Electric pumps do depend on fuel for lubrication and cooling. A switch is easier anyway.

Draining the bowl is good, but running dry may be more effective at the jets, etc.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 05:38 PM   #24
Bud
Platinum Member

"Draining the bowl is good, but running dry may be more effective at the jets, etc."

I think it is more like a necessity, not optional. It is the jets that varnish up, surging.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:12 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Nowhere did I suggest NOT running it dry, I do that, and then drain the last remaining fuel. There is not much, but any can cause future problems.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:37 PM   #26
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe
Default Joe

My Onan 2800 was doing same thing. I had replaced the fuel pump 2 or 3 years ago. Put on another fuel pump and replaced fuei lines while it was out. Knock on wood been running great. Have heard in other posts. Inside casing gets to hot for pumps$$$ Some have mounted pump outside housing.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:14 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Need to change the subject line about water in engine compartment for Ram ProMaster RV's. There are 32 pages about this subject on the ProMaster URL site.
https://www.promasterforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=84639

MLogan
2017 Trend 23D
Smyrna, TN
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote