Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2015, 12:53 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default New 4 x 4 Winnebago ERA

Spotted on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/winnebago/p...type=1&theater

Quote:
Calling all Class B lovers– Check out the new 4x4 Era and new exterior color and prototype graphics on our Travatos!
Link: https://www.facebook.com/winnebago/p...53144097200791

Winnebago Dealer Days is underway in Las Vegas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4 x 4 Winnebago ERA.jpg (82.8 KB, 939 views)
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 01:10 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: New 4 x 4 Winnebago ERA

Is that really an Era model, or is it just a cargo van sample? If they are going to build "stealth" vans, that's really a departure from their current product offerings. An "econo" version of a Sportsmobile?? BTW, that's the first 4x4, long wheelbase with duallies Sprinter I've seen.

The new color on Travato is cool. Not sure I dig it with the unpainted bumper covers, but it does blend better than with other colors.

Definately do not like the "extreme" sticker scheme. There is marketing to a younger or sports-active market, but I don't think the x-games set is looking for B-van. Not quite yet, anyways.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 01:37 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I doubt that is actually a Winnebago ERA but just a stock cargo van. Advanced RV will be getting their first shipments of Sprinter 4x4s this month and will start converting with the many orders they have. So I doubt any converter has done one yet. Curious to see if Advanced RV offers anything different from standard vans. Their VB Air Suspension will fit. They developed the nerf bar treatment that I am pioneering specifically for the 4x4 but will still give customers a choice of that or the regular fiberglass skirts.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 02:17 AM   #4
Platinum Member

This is the ultimate, it appears to be texture type coating on the plastic bumpers. I think Winnebago is genius is marketing towards the younger crowd, although I prefer no dumb graphics (but they work for press pictures). I am 32 and ready to buy in the next year. The new 59k with all the european tech and solar friendly roof and great racks, along with the move into sprinter 4x4 is everything I have been waiting for. Those rims are ridiculous.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11080556_10153144082470791_959552600864602496_o.jpg (388.9 KB, 839 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2015-04-09 at 7.10.39 PM.png (698.6 KB, 838 views)
eurovanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 02:29 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

The 4x4 is not a finished RV. If you see the FB post, it shows the inside from a distance and you can still see the ribs inside the factory walls.
Shoot, the first pic I saw of the 4x4 North American bound Sprinter was of a 3500 extended. I actually like the look of the 3500 4x4 better than the 2500. It looks "tough"

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 02:39 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Yes I noticed that. I am just excited that it is in the lineup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay
The 4x4 is not a finished RV. If you see the FB post, it shows the inside from a distance and you can still see the ribs inside the factory walls.
Shoot, the first pic I saw of the 4x4 North American bound Sprinter was of a 3500 extended. I actually like the look of the 3500 4x4 better than the 2500. It looks "tough"
eurovanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 02:09 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I was thinking about this 4x4 ERA a good bit on my drive yesterday.

Surely, they won't just slap one of their exisiting floor plans, cabinetry and equipment in this thing would they?

Do you think they would "harden" this as more of a expedition vehicle? Maybe an "Expedition Lite"? Not sure if the market for this kind of rig is growing, or expected to grow. I'm sure for the majors in this niche, the margins are fairly high, as evidenced by some of the pricing in this segment (i.e. Tiger).

Knowing Winnebago, they'd want a more finished look than what you get with a Sportsmobile. But how much a departure their typical customers would accept remains to be seen. By all accounts, Travatos and ERA's are selling quite well as they are.

As for the red Travato with the Rhino Liner sprayed fenders, that's an interesting concept. This coupled with a lift kit and some fat tires might appeal to the young folks they are going after with this. You could take this, even with just FWD, to about 95% of the places most think you need 4WD.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:41 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I suspect they will make changes to leverage the answers to the questions "where can I go and what can I do in this RV that I can't in one much cheaper?" They need to figure out how to add larger fresh water and holding tanks, larger propane tank, multiple batteries and solar, a generator and large fuel tank, and a well-sized inverter to start. I don't envision a wet bath but maybe an exterior shower. I wonder how much space is saved by putting the stove outside as well. Lots of exterior lights and a nice awning would be good to consider. This RV should be about getting me where I want to go and providing lots of opportunities to be outside and enjoy. But, heck, I am a 50 year old woman so what do I know?
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 04:36 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf7g
I suspect they will make changes to leverage the answers to the questions "where can I go and what can I do in this RV that I can't in one much cheaper?" They need to figure out how to add larger fresh water and holding tanks, larger propane tank, multiple batteries and solar, a generator and large fuel tank, and a well-sized inverter to start. I don't envision a wet bath but maybe an exterior shower. I wonder how much space is saved by putting the stove outside as well. Lots of exterior lights and a nice awning would be good to consider. This RV should be about getting me where I want to go and providing lots of opportunities to be outside and enjoy. But, heck, I am a 50 year old woman so what do I know?
I know the fuel tank on the 4x4 is about 2 gallons smaller than the 2wd Sprinter. I can't see them getting very specialized on the 4x4 floorplans because of the smallish market, and the fact that in this generation Sprinter, the 4x4 is going to have very restricted availability from MB.
What you are looking for will probably have to come from Sportsmobile or a like converter, Moorehead Design Lab maybe?

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 04:45 PM   #10
Platinum Member

What little I have heard, Advanced RV has 4x4 Sprinters in the queue and talking to a couple of customers the desires are about the same for non 4x4 owners. If I was shopping today I would probably opt for one because I live in a winter snow state and and have a difficult driveway to get in and out (12% slope). The other reason is I would feel a lot more comfortable driving onto a sand beach. Another reason is people have favorite spots that might be a tad more difficult to get to but a road all the same. Don't kid yourself, who would buy an Advanced RV or Winnebago for that matter fully equipped and treat it like an off-road vehicle. The Sprinter 4x4 is not designed for that use.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:25 PM   #11
Platinum Member

When MB does a 4 wheel drive setup in a Sprinter, do they tie it into the stability control program to put on the brake of a spinning wheel while stuck (opposite of how ABS brakes work). If they do, you would have almost the advantage of a locker differential on each end, without the driving hazard or complexity of an air locker.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:25 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Maybe so, but a lot of the marketing is them bounding over rocks and sand dunes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2015, 07:18 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Encouraging statement from Winnebago spokesman
At Winnebago Dealers Days
..."growing very fast in the B van market

..." tapping into an outdoor enthousiastics market" !
The ProMaster and 4x4 Sprinters are for outdoor RVers not like the other "indoor" campers !

On the Winnebago Youtube channel http://youtu.be/mg6SIAfXzGE

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 992&type=1

GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 08:08 PM   #14
Platinum Member

There is no Winnebago Sprinter 4x4 yet. What was on the floor was a stock cargo van with Mercedes Benz' own huge 4x4 promotional logo. Any formal announcement, design, specs yet? Of course Mercedes Benz markets bounding over rocks and sand dunes. Ford, Chevy and Ram do the same with their trucks but does anyone actually punish their trucks that way? Simple fact. So far the only significant 4x4 camper van market has been pretty much conversions by Sportsmobile mostly in Fresno, CA. Those were built for special use and the few I looked at seemed rather simple and spartan.

The Advanced RV customers are buying them for a variety of reasons and they are being built right now. The biggest might be the ability to really go off grid but I doubt not to abuse their Bs to follow Jeeps in Arches and Canyonlands National Parks. Hope to see one at Advanced Fest in a couple of weeks. I would have been a 4x4 customer but couldn't wait another 3/4 of a year. I felt I suffered enough wiping out all last fall travel. I don't think it will affect me not having one that much. I did go off grid onto BLM desert lands to camp and it turned out not that difficult and I realized I doubt I would want to go anywhere anymore rugged. You have way too much inside a B to jostle around and chance breaking. What it really means is I could go up my driveway in the winter as easily as we do with our AWD cars. That might not be a good idea to turn my expensive B into an everyday driver. So, it means I would have to just plan ahead and make sure my driveway is free off ice and snow the day I do plan to head out (south of course.)
Old 09-08-2015, 08:01 PM   #15
Silver Member

I just read that Winnebago will be debuting 4x4 Era 70X and 70A models at the 2015 Hershey Show. Anyone heard more of this? Any earlier pics? http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...c8+MKW20150908
cjscott is offline   Reply With Quote