Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2014, 04:26 PM   #1

Default New Adventure

I am the proud owner of a "Vintage" 1990 intervec falcon 190. My wife and i have talked about owning an RV for years.WE owned a 22" trailer for a couple of years, but never a coach type vehicle. When I say vintage I really mean OLD as this baby is going on 25 years. I bought it against the advice of every sane person I know , on eBay -sight unseen. There were -pleny of close up photos posted and the odometer showed only 44K authenticated miles.

It was in storage in Florida so i didn't get to see it for a couple months. I was not at all disappointed with its overall appearance. Except for some fading of the upholstery and an invasion of carpenter ants, it was in great shape. I replaced the fuel pump and brake lines and this beauty runs like a top - a monster ford v-8 powered top.

I am having the carpeting and wood underfloor replaced and the whole thing steam cleaned and fumigated and I'm sending the ants and a few roaches i discovered to the gas chamber. We are looking forward to complteing cosmetic improvements and going over the rest of the mechanical issues. Trans and ac checlk out.generator is functioning. Can'twait to see what else might happen before we set out.

Do you experience class b-ers think I made a bad decision buying such an old vehicle.I hope not cause we really love our old P O S.

Oh onemoredetail, because i am handicapped my wife will do all the driving, gas fill ups and tank dumping. Poor woman. Sounds like a perfect arrangement forme, but I wouldn't recommend that path.

From our experience with our pullbehind a few years ago, RVers are incredibly helpiul. We are grateful for that.

K-Man
K-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:34 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: New Adventure

Welcome to the forum K-Man.

Falcon Class B's are often talked about on forums so you have lots of company out there. They must have been a really popular brand as there are still lots around. I hope you have tons of fun using your new-to-you van.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:55 AM   #3

Thanks Marko

I'm enjoying this site. Good work. Keep it up, if you can find the time. We are looking forward to getting on the road.

K-Man
Old 10-07-2014, 04:14 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Carpenter ants might mean there is or has been some water leakage. Be sure to have that carefully checked when the carpet is pulled up...any staining might help track the source of potential leaks.
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:53 PM   #5

Hey Belzar

We did notice some water damage on the floor around the refrigerator and near the toilet in the back of the cabin.. I also believe that even though it had been left in a barn for some time, there had been some torrential rains in that part of the state. We'll give it a thorough exam when we get down in two weeks, Florida is bug heaven as you are certainly aware.

Thanks for the feedback. If you would like me to send you an assortment of whatever we find in our RV, I'd be happy to do so.

Appreciate your comments - best regards, K-man
Old 10-07-2014, 09:19 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I know a musician friend who played in a circus band a long time ago and he and another guy went in on a travel trailer together to save money. They went through Texas and got invaded by fire ants. They bug bombed them, baited them , sprayed them with everything they could get their hands on and just when they thought they were gone they would emerge from their hiding spots and bite them. They endured this for the whole tour until the circus shutdown for the winter. He parked the trailer at his folks in Reno and when they went touring again in the spring there was no sign of the ants. The freezing winter killed them off. Hope you get rid of your ant problem easier than that. Welcome to the Forum.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:26 AM   #7

Thanks stan. I have ordered our Air Force to bomb my bug terorrists after they return from bombing ISIS targets. This is war!
Old 10-08-2014, 08:06 AM   #8
Platinum Member

They couldn't help. Drain all the water out and park it Fargo for a couple months this winter. That'll get em. You've probably got it under control. We wil need pics at some point. Unspoken forum rule don'tcha known.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:35 PM   #9

good grief stan. I'm one of those guys who doesn't carry a smart phone. I guess I'll have to dig out my old brownie -- but then again they probably don't make film for that anymore. Maybe i can draw a picture.

I don't do that North stuff either. Detroit is as far as I go but onjly in late spring until the leaves start falling that's about now.in two weeks I am off to Cape Coral FL for 6 mos. so I guess I can park it in one of those giant blast freezers the food processors use.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:20 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Man
good grief stan. I'm one of those guys who doesn't carry a smart phone. I guess I'll have to dig out my old brownie -- but then again they probably don't make film for that anymore. Maybe i can draw a picture.
What's "film"?
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:34 PM   #11

Its that grey hazy stuff your wife leaves on the windshield when you tell her to clean the windshield just before she pulls the trigger