Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2016, 02:17 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default New Class B Choices

Hello Everyone.

Looking at downsizing from a lake property to a touring van. Lots of options out there but they are still essentially a class B platform.

Like to hear anyones opinion on what to look for, what questions to ask, what are the deal breakers.

We are buying in C$ so that may factor in but money would not be a limiting factor other than we are not looking for a luxury, look-what-i've-got, status thing.

Functionality for several days dry camping is important and towing capability too.

Go!
Marley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:45 AM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

Cool

Here are the major players:

Winnebago Industries Inc. 35.3% market share.
Roadtrek Motorhomes Inc. 28.2% market share.
Thor Industries Inc. 20.1% market share.
Pleasure-Way 10.8%

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:20 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Pretty complete list of current Class B manufacturers...

My Class B Manufacturer List
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:56 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Interesting assortment and some innovative ideas in there.

If I was younger, and that doesn't seem to be happening, I would go with something like a 4x4 Sportsmobile adventure style RV. Been into off-road motorcycling and boating all my life but now past 55 y/o priorities change a bit.

Like the SVO innovative convertible shower however I am drawn to a layout that would allow for 2 separate areas to hang out in during the day. Front swivel seats for one area and the bed area for the other makes sense as my wife and I have different schedules and likes i.e. I don't watch much TV and I like napping daily.

Turbo is important as there are a lot of mountain passes between us and California or us and Vancouver Island. Drive that a lot and my Duramax is way better than my new GMC Sierra with a gas V8. Glad I kept the Duramax as a second truck now!
Old 09-16-2016, 12:34 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Good list of B builders here: http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...dels-3256.html

It's still relevant. Great West is on the list but no longer in business.
Coachmen & Regency would have to be added. There are some new models like the Winnebago Paseo that should be added also.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:16 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I was hoping to hear more in the way of opinions on what guys like in floor layouts, chassis and engine choice, generator options (onan vs underhood), battery and inverter setups etc.
I think I would like to avoid having propane for the vehicle but we will do a lot of BBQ's for dinners. What the options there?

I have bought and downloaded the 2016 Sprinter RV guide so have that info.

Thanks for any input.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:49 PM   #7
Platinum Member

well for an opinion I am happier with my 2006 PW Lexor TD than any of the newer units I have seen.

I like the gas chev- I can work on it and have a bunch of GM's so I already own the filters...I already know how to change the serpentine belt and that I need only a 15mm 1/2 drive socket on a ratchet.

I like the power of the 6.0 vortec and the 3sp/OD tranny works well- lots of mtns including your hwy 3- has never lacked for power. however I am not trying to set any records- a moderate speed gets me 16 mpg.

we have good storage compartments underneath for all the rv stuff, and inside the rear doors for our chairs, awning crank and support, levelling blacks and other stuff

our van has the largest bed we could find and enough cabinetry for use without being claustro

My older van has no solar and just a wet cell back there, but it works- my lighting is low draw led and the tv is 12 volt native - I can go a couple of days just on the battery.

I have a gas genny, plumbed into the fuel tank- I don't use it- but I can if I need it. our style of camping is we will boondock overnight but we prefer shore power for longer stays.

our fridge is 3 way, the 2 burners are propane as is the water heater- which works great.

all of our appliances are well known, well proven - the electrics are fairly basic.

and it all works- for us

others have different needs and wants.

My neighbor has a brand new PW and it is really nice- but some of the features are over complicated I think- and there is a lack of storage- the extra headroom is nice though!

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 01:07 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Thanks Mike.

First off - what is the guitar part of your name?

Great information. I converted a Chevy van back in mid 80's - not much but it was insulated, paneled, had a bed in the back with a big opening tinted skylight. Oh and a secret compartment under the bed for a cooler. Loved it and it worked for the times.

Also now have a Chris Craft cabin cruiser. Sleeps 6. Has a galley, head etc. Chevy 300hp motor. Had it 12 years and had 12 years of good times on it but...maintenance is starting to get too much. I have an acreage, a lake property, motorbikes, snowmobiles, Yamaha Wolverine SxS plus a couple of tractors etc. You get the picture...

We are downsizing and trying to go maintenance free to some degree. Selling the boat and rec property. Looking at a new Class B with maybe a new Kawasaki KLR 650 loaded on the hitch for adventure rides.

I am DIY guy almost to an extreme but getting up there in age. My new rule for buying stuff is "what is the fantasy and what is reality?" My KTM off-road race bike is no longer a reality etc.

Highway 3? I drive that almost weekly to get to the cabin. Beautiful road.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:39 AM   #9
Platinum Member

I work on guitars for a living- I tour with some of your favorite rock bands and have for over 35 years.
Right now I'm in italy.
My "idea" of a vacation is not to be in a hotel- I spend typically 100+ nights in hotels each year - some years as many as 200- or on a tour bus if traveling between dates.

We like camping, we like travel- up until a couple of years ago we used tents- but with age, now it's getting up in the middle of teh night...and It's nice to have a head right there, we were feeling the hard ground and insulation is nice..and then there are bears... and we have a Tv and no noisy coleman lanterns hissing and sputtering.
and an easy to use galley with running hot and cold and a drain and cooker.

I get to show my wife some of the great places I've been.

the chev also has 5000/500 tow capacity- although I hate towing. I do have a hitch carrier for the CT90.
the concept of family vacation runs counter to the idea of my hauling one of the larger bikes- so we do van trips..... and I do bike trips.

there is no one size fits all- jeez another thread has us all arguing about what side the sink should be on ( passenger)

you might want to consider a trip to saskatoon to look at pleasure-way- if they will show you around it could either show you some great ideas, or maybe you'll spot some bad ideas.
It's a nice drive through Luseland....

mike
Old 09-17-2016, 02:24 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Cool job. My favs: Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Neil Young, Tragically Hip and a few others!

CT90 - cool bike but wouldn't quite fit 2 for ride. I have a Honda Scooter which I thought would do but only good for trips to the store.

Saskatoon I think is good idea. Closest factory and from what I can tell high quality. No good dealer near here for Pleasure Way but have a big RV place that has pretty much every other brand including RoadTrek.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:29 AM   #11
BBQ
Platinum Member

Who in their right mind would go to Saskatoon to see a RV ????

I have relatives there, and I haven't visited them yet.
I have gone as far as Regina.

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:40 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Came from England to Calgary in 1966 and never been much north or east of the area since. Always travelled west and south. Saskatoon is supposed to be a nice city.

With a new Class B we hope to explore a whole lot more.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:43 AM   #13
Platinum Member

I'd drive anywhere for a chance to see an rv build- whether right or wrong, whether suiting my needs or not- in preparation for a purchase.

Saskatoon is a nice town- I spent quite alot of time there in the 80's.
I was last there in April.

If you have only gone West and South, you might enjoy the Prairies.

Mike
Old 09-18-2016, 03:20 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
I'd drive anywhere for a chance to see an rv build- whether right or wrong, whether suiting my needs or not- in preparation for a purchase.

Saskatoon is a nice town- I spent quite alot of time there in the 80's.
I was last there in April.

If you have only gone West and South, you might enjoy the Prairies.

Mike
Prairie corduroy roads all go downhill from here and the prevailing winds are from the west so really good gas mileage on the way there!

I have been to Regina, once, for a funeral. Short trip and didn't stop to see any sights.