Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2015, 03:19 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default New Era 70X interior design

New interesting interior design of the Era 70X.

Nice continuous cupboards with innovative wood finish. A bit too glossy, but at least not the usual grandma's cherry or walnuty finishes. Also they installed a very functional and interesting sink/stove combined appliance, like you find in Europe. Too bad you have a meagre 9.7 Gal. black tank (the tank is on top of the frame -see http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...170x_plumb.pdf) and no innovative autonomous energy systems.

The upholstery is still tacky with the two tone inserts but at least Winnebago is making an effort to get the interior design of North American RV out of the Flintstone age! Winnebago sent their design team to Dusseldorf and it shows. I hope they start working on their dreadful class A!

The 3D view of the Era 70X interior
https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=o9YkZZ3aUHJ

The Era 70X floorplan page
Era | Floorplans | Winnebago RVs

An Era screenshot of the interior

The same stove/sink combination I saw in an Adria trailer in Europe (with sleek matte wood finish)

GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 03:46 PM   #2
Site Team

A lot to like there. But, why-oh-why are people still designing new layouts with driver-side galleys? Just wrong.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 04:17 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
A lot to like there. But, why-oh-why are people still designing new layouts with driver-side galleys? Just wrong.
Even if we all agree that the kitchen should be on the RIGHT side, this layout makes it possible to have the 2 extra captain seats with a big front screened lounge area and a slightly longer countertop.

Even though we find that our Safari Condo layout is the best, with the galley facing the sliding door, I was always impressed with the feeling of space produced by the inverted plan (galley on the driver side) that we found in the Agile we almost bought. It's a feeling of bigger, although "introverted", interior space.

I have the feeling that the 4 separate captain chairs works best if you want a front dinette/lounge area in the very narrow Sprinter chassis. Different story with the larger ProMasters. Safari Condo managed to successfully adapt the same layout as the original ProMaster Flex but they confessed that it was very challenging due to the missing 4" inch of interior width.

see http://www.safaricondo.com/en/motorises_Mercedes-XLFLEX

Era 70X floorplan
Old 12-23-2015, 04:34 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Even if we all agree that the kitchen should be on the RIGHT side, this layout makes it possible to have the 2 extra captain seats with a big front screened lounge area and a slightly longer countertop.

Even though we find that our Safari Condo layout is the best, with the galley facing the sliding door, I was always impressed with the feeling of space produced by the inverted plan (galley on the driver side) that we found in the Agile we almost bought. It's a feeling of bigger, although "introverted", interior space.
To each his or her own, I guess. But I just don't see it. Where you say "introverted", I would say "cave like". The difference many not be great in the showroom, but in a typical campsite, it just seems like a no-brainer to me. There are plenty of very fine front lounge layouts with campsite-side galleys. The only thing that breaks the symmetry is the width of the sliding door, and that space can be effectively used in a well-designed galley.

Maybe we should argue about oil brands instead.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:56 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
To each his or her own, I guess. But I just don't see it. Where you say "introverted", I would say "cave like". The difference many not be great in the showroom, but in a typical campsite, it just seems like a no-brainer to me. There are plenty of very fine front lounge layouts with campsite-side galleys. The only thing that breaks the symmetry is the width of the sliding door, and that space can be effectively used in a well-designed galley.

Maybe we should argue about oil brands instead.
Choosing oil brands is a more existential dilemma, I agree !

Unfortunately I haven't seen in person layouts like the GW with the 4 captain seats front lounge. Do you have a layout like that? see plan

I love front lounges! I find they are essential if you like a permanent bed.
Usually passenger-side galleys layouts in Sprinters have a tendency to occupy and block the whole driver-side with storage/fridge etc. Driver-side double seat dinettes help opening the space with the added window, but it's rare in Sprinters.

GW Legend layout
Doesn't seem very functional with the lower captain seat in the passageway.

http://greatwestvans.com/wp-content/...loor-Plans.pdf

Old 12-23-2015, 06:02 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Unfortunately I haven't seen in person layouts like the GW with the 4 captain seats front lounge. Do you have a layout like that? see plan

I love front lounges! I find they are essential if you like a permanent bed.
Usually passenger-side galleys layouts in Sprinters have a tendency to occupy and block the whole driver-side with storage/fridge etc. Driver-side double seat dinettes help opening the space with the added window, but it's rare in Sprinters.

GW Legend layout
Doesn't seem very functional with the lower captain seat in the passageway.
Well, it's all tradeoffs, of course. And I agree that one decision leads to the next. We are fans of folding beds--the Great West trifold bed (which was exclusive until ARV "borrowed" it) is incredibly convenient. So, the front lounge is a bit less appealing to us. And, being basically antisocial, we don't overly relate to this whole "4-seat" thing.

No, we don't have the captain's chairs, and haven't seen one in person in a GWV, either. But, is it really much different from the 70X?

We had Great West build us a custom half-helght hanging closet, which preserved the window behind the driver's seat, which helped open the space and addressed the "closed in" issue that you describe:

IMG_05.JPG

IMG_5692.jpg

DavyDD tried to talk me into making the closet narrower, which would have improved the usability of the driver's seat when rotated--more tradeoffs. However, we are real fans of hanging closet space, so we chose to keep the full width. The bottom of the closet is great for extra cases of beer, too.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:58 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Well, it's all tradeoffs, of course. And I agree that one decision leads to the next. We are fans of folding beds--the Great West trifold bed (which was exclusive until ARV "borrowed" it) is incredibly convenient. So, the front lounge is a bit less appealing to us. And, being basically antisocial, we don't overly relate to this whole "4-seat" thing.

No, we don't have the captain's chairs, and haven't seen one in person in a GWV, either. But, is it really much different from the 70X?

We had Great West build us a custom half-helght hanging closet, which preserved the window behind the driver's seat, which helped open the space and addressed the "closed in" issue that you describe:

DavyDD tried to talk me into making the closet narrower, which would have improved the usability of the driver's seat when rotated--more tradeoffs. However, we are real fans of hanging closet space, so we chose to keep the full width. The bottom of the closet is great for extra cases of beer, too.
It's nice that you preserved the driver's side window and you still have storage space for the important stuff! If you like folding an unfolding your bed every day than you're better off with a rear lounge and optimizing front storage.

I've never seen or experienced the 4 captains seats front lounge layouts. I find it's more logical to combine it with a platform bed at the back, with lots of storage underneath, than to have another seating/lounge area and limited storage.

The GWV layout is strange because one the captain's chair is at a lower level and stuck in the passageway against the counter. Other than the GWV Legend, I have never seen a layout with the galley on the passenger-side and captain chairs as a front lounge except maybe Outside Van sport&gear Sprinters.

Our first experience in an Rv was when we rented a Pleasureway Excel for a road trip in Colorado. Although we had a big folding sofa at the back it was always put up as a bed and we were using the cramped front dinette.

What a difference with our gorgeous front lounge that we now use for drinks, a cozy supper "gazebo style" when it's wet outside or breakfast with a view!

Old 12-23-2015, 08:50 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
If you like folding an unfolding your bed every day than you're better off with a rear lounge and optimizing front storage.

The GWV layout is strange because one the captain's chair is at a lower level and stuck in the passageway against the counter.
You should sell those pics to the upfitter for their brochure.

The thing about the GWV/ARV trifold bed is that it is completely automatic--no fill-in pieces to screw with. Makes converting from lounge to bed pretty painless.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that chair is at a lower level. The arc just delineates the boundary between carpet and vinyl flooring.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:09 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Nice rig and pix, George, but what are you doing inside? It looks like it was a beautiful day! We do almost all our cooking and prep outdoors, so our kitchen proper is rarely even used, and the stove never. The grill gets used nearly every day, though, and we rarely are even in the van before we go in for the night.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:54 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I like that they are differentiating the Era from the Travato by moving it more upscale. In one of the pics you see the new LCD info center that is exclusive to Era.

I don't care for the layout in the X. I like the A well enough (although I guess not well enough to have bought one.).

I'd like to see them adapt the Travato 59K layout to the XL Sprinter, but it may not be wide enough for the twins to work.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:00 PM   #11
Platinum Member

I'm not sure why this new Winnebago plan is considered unique. It seems the standard Roadtrek arrangement. Sofa in the rear... bathroom on the passenger side... galley on the driver's side... and 4 front seats. (the last thing I would want or need is 4 seats in the front)

The arrangement that so many of us have complained about over the years.

The new cabinetry looks nice, but I don't like the kitchen sink at all. Only big enough to wash one cup at a time... while splashing all over the cooktop.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:10 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
You should sell those pics to the upfitter for their brochure.
Yes, Safari Condo will use one of our photos of our boondocking at the Magdalen Islands this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Nice rig and pix, George, but what are you doing inside? It looks like it was a beautiful day!
...and yes Booster we venture outside sometimes but we love our van so much! It was pretty cold this summer in the Maritimes, not higher than 50F (12 celsius) with a lot of rain and bugs so it's great to be comfy inside with the screened porch of our B.
more pictures of our campervan bliss and our "outdoor activities" at https://centrelab.smugmug.com/PERSO-...BLISS/n-hzQ76/
Old 12-23-2015, 11:24 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
I'm not sure why this new Winnebago plan is considered unique. It seems the standard Roadtrek arrangement. Sofa in the rear... bathroom on the passenger side... galley on the driver's side... and 4 front seats. (the last thing I would want or need is 4 seats in the front)

The new cabinetry looks nice, but I don't like the kitchen sink at all. Only big enough to wash one cup at a time... while splashing all over the cooktop.
I guess the hoopla is the facelift and the inclusion of new features - multiplex wiring, the info center lcd, the truma combi system, and of course, the cabinetry and upholstery. They will do this make-over on all their models, not just the X. So far though, no announcements of any new layouts - revolutionary or traditional.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:51 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post

Agree, there's nothing unique or revolutionnary about that plan. Standard layout with the galley driver-side. Only a new interesting interior design, very different from past Winnebago uplifts. Incremental evolution.

The sink might be small but the 3 aligned burners leaving a front counter space seems interesting. And you cover the cooktop when washing dishes. Of course it's something that has to be tested in real life.

Now for the front lounge discussion. It seems that not a lot "B" RVers in this forum like to have the option of having 4 seats in front. An option that is almost standard in all European vans.

Apart from the very confortable feet up option and temporary stuff storage, we used the dinette seats often to give short lifts to friends. It's much more pleasant to be able to speak to passengers like in a car. It also gives a real spacious separate area in front combined with a fixed bed in the back for a real flexible use of space. But then again it is always a question of personal preferences and living habits.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:08 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
...They will do this make-over on all their models, not just the X. ...
Wincrasher, Winnebago told you that they are offering this upgraded cabinetry on all their Era "B"s? Looking forward to see the real life fit and finish of this make-over.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:37 AM   #16
Platinum Member

No they haven't told me directly. I believe it was mentioned to others who've repeated it to me. But it makes sense, I mean, why would you just do the X?

I'm also interested in seeing it in person. In some of the videos, it doesn't look nearly as nice as in the photographs. If it's done by the Technoform people in Italy, it should be really well done.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:58 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
No they haven't told me directly. I believe it was mentioned to others who've repeated it to me. But it makes sense, I mean, why would you just do the X?

I'm also interested in seeing it in person. In some of the videos, it doesn't look nearly as nice as in the photographs. If it's done by the Technoform people in Italy, it should be really well done.
If it's Technoform, then there's hope!
Did they produced the Travato cabinetry?
Old 12-24-2015, 01:22 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Now for the front lounge discussion. It seems that not a lot "B" RVers in this forum like to have the option of having 4 seats in front. An option that is almost standard in all European vans.
What can I say? We are not Europeans.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 01:52 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
What can I say? We are not Europeans.
True! But then why important manufacturers are still offering front lounge layouts.
Is it simply because they are not listening to their customers. Or maybe it's a layout that makes their vehicles more spacious and easier to sell to newcomers.
As I said, maybe I'm wrong and I've never experienced those 4 separate seats front lounge in person, but apart from the fact that they are often associated with galleys on the driver-side they seem like a interesting compromise to have a separate spacious front area in tight Sprinters "B"s. Or maybe it's for customers who don't really use their Bs for camping but more as Touring vans.

Airstream front lounge

Winnebago Era

The new Galleria

Not anymore in production _a stunning photo of Leisure travel double sliding door Free Spirit TE

Old 12-24-2015, 02:16 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Or maybe it's for customers who don't really use their Bs for camping but more as Touring vans.
There is definitely a market for non-camper users of B-vans. In addition to families who vacation in the vans and sleep in hotels, there is a large community of sports-families, who travel with their kids to out-of-town sporting events and so on. I am pretty sure that the captain's chairs are mostly targeted for such purchasers.