Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
Anu

Default New here

Hello everyone.

I purchased a RT 190 Popular just a little over 4 months ago. I was doing the research on RTs, planning to buy a couple years down the road when my youngest is set to graduate high school. I had set my heart on a RT sprinter but was browsing Craigslist, when a 190 Popular with very low mileage and very reasonable pricing came along just 20 miles from where I live. Had it inspected and just bought it. The previous owners had taken very good care of it and it looks almost new.

We did a couple weekend trips and then just this past Spring break, a trip to South Carolina. We have done long trips in our SUV but this was out first slightly long trip in the van and what a difference!

Have been lurking here and have learned much. Thanks everyone.
Anu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
Gold Member

Default Re: New here

Congrats on your purchase!

I too am new here, I just bought a 2011 Pleasure Way Plateau (Sprinter). I've had it about 2 weeks and I love it! I got to drive it home (near Washington DC) from Southern FL and this weekend I'm taking it out to Shenandoah National Park! Can't wait to go get it out of storage after work today!
teachergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
Anu

Hi

I stumbled upon your blog via roadtrekingMike's blog. I have bookmarked both your blogs and plan to follow.

That is a wonderful coincidence. We are planning Shenandoah this weekend as well. (live in Loudoun county). The very first day after I drove it home from Springfield, MD (previous owner's home). I drove to the Capitol building and back in rush hour traffic.

Our community let's us park in the community parking lot as it is a class B. How ever I do end up paying the high personal property taxes for Loudoun. Sucks I know. The other option would be to keep it garaged/stored in PW county where there is no personal property taxes but that would be a pain and too much hassle. Not to mention the storage would cost me as much.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Anu - I had an '04 RT 190P. Nice RV. I wish I had kept mine instead of going to Class B+ then to Class C and then back to Class B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachergal
....................... Can't wait to go get it out of storage after work today!
I know the feeling. Very exciting.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:53 PM   #5
Anu

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
Anu - I had an '04 RT 190P. Nice RV. I wish I had kept mine instead of going to Class B+ then to Class C and then back to Class B.
I just saw the pics of your '04 RT 190 from your site. Must be my RT's identical twin
Old 04-13-2012, 12:33 AM   #6
Gold Member

Anu, how daring of you to drive your new RV in DC traffic!!! I don't even drive in DC in any vehicle or for any reason! If I'm going to DC I take Metro.

Maybe I'll see you out at Shenandoh this weekend! Big Meadows is the only campground open, I think, Lewis Mt might be open. I want to go to Loft Mt but it doesn't open until May 11. How cool that you are in Loudoun! I teach at Brookfield ES in Chantilly!

One more tip I'd add about Alaska - get fuel whenever you can, even if you don't need it, it could be hard to find!

Here's a link to the 1st post of my Alaskan RV trip in 2007 - you'll have to go backwards through the blog posts (click "newer posts" to read the whole trip.) Some days are broken up into multiple posts b/c the connection was so slow it couldn't upload so much at once! Also I think the pictures may have gotten taken down...but the text is there! For this trip I flew to AK and rented a 22 ft Class C, it was my 1st RV experience and is directly responsible for the PW sitting in front of my house!

http://melissaamory.blogspot.com/2007/0 ... nture.html
teachergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:59 AM   #7
Anu

Melissa, I am used to DC traffic .. what usually bothers me is the beltway traffic .. no rules and everyone believes they are Nascar drivers.
Driving the RV in DC traffic was a little crazy but for everyday I do drive a large SUV. Did get flipped the bird a couple of times .. that is par for the course with DC drivers.

I am thinking Big Meadows as well. I am driving in Saturday morning and returning back Sunday afternoon.

I know how exciting owning an RV is. I have always wanted to drive across Europe and read a couple of articles about people who have done that. The very next second I was researching RVs, then B vans. I was thinking when my daughter graduates high school .. which is 2 years away. It kind of seemed to make perfect sense. I run a technology staffing firm and we are all virtual, so figured I could work while on the road, sort of like a working holiday (what a contradiction in terms). However saw the ad on CL and that was that.

Since I got the RT we have been to deep creek lake, Poconos and SC. We have however done a lot of road trips in the SUV. Should start blogging about my trips and have my daughter write too. Would be good practice for her SATs.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #8
Platinum Member

We are heading for Alaska at the end of June. In the meantime we are heading out tomorrow for a Class B social in Van Buren, Missouri this coming week. In May we will be in Washington, DC (Burke, VA) to visit our daughter and family.

If you are interested in traveling Europe in an RV, your own RV at that, this article might be of interest.

Traveing Europe the RV way

We spent a week in Wales seven years ago. Their so-called main highways were two laners anywhere from 16-20 feet wide. The scary part was there were no shoulders and were lined with stone walls. We saw a couple of RV accidents. Commercial vehicles, vans, busses and trucks all had welded steel tubes on the side of the vehicle to act as a rub rail against the walls. We rented a Kia Sorento SUV and often felt we were the largest auto on the road.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:59 PM   #9
Anu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
We are heading for Alaska at the end of June. In the meantime we are heading out tomorrow for a Class B social in Van Buren, Missouri this coming week. In May we will be in Washington, DC (Burke, VA) to visit our daughter and family.

If you are interested in traveling Europe in an RV, your own RV at that, this article might be of interest.

Traveing Europe the RV way

We spent a week in Wales seven years ago. Their so-called main highways were two laners anywhere from 16-20 feet wide. The scary part was there were no shoulders and were lined with stone walls. We saw a couple of RV accidents. Commercial vehicles, vans, busses and trucks all had welded steel tubes on the side of the vehicle to act as a rub rail against the walls. We rented a Kia Sorento SUV and often felt we were the largest auto on the road.
Thanks David.

I am sure your trips are going to be lovely. I wish I could get out more but I have 18 more years to retire. The trips during school breaks and long weekends compensate. I work virtually so I am planning to do longer trips and more trips once my 15 year old goes away to college in 2 years time. That also means modifying my van to also function as a mobile office eventually. . In 2 - 3 years time is when I plan to ship the RV across to Europe. Lots of plans and ideas and keeping my fingers crossed that a few materialize. By then I think I will go in for a Sprinter.

Thanks for the link. I have bookmarked their website. Here are a couple more for anyone that is interested.

http://www.travelin-tortuga.com

http://www.europebycamper.com

http://www.papillontravels.net/

http://www.smithsoverland.com/travel/publish/index.php