Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2017, 10:22 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default New Hymer models at Tampa show

Link: Erwin Hymer to Showcase New Models in Tampa | RV Business

Seven motorized models - I wonder if any will be Class C type RV's.

Quote:
Hymer, located in the midway at Booth No. 650, will be showing seven motorized models and two travel trailers, including the all-new Sonne, a coach built on the Ram ProMaster chassis targeting the female traveler. The Sonne features the largest bathroom available in a Class B that includes a stand-alone shower. Finished in a light butter cream interior color, it also features a kitchen galley and permanent queen size bed.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:59 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Hymer Sonne

jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:06 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Looks like a clone of a 170 Roadtrek with an aisle shower and bathroom.

There are going to be few that will regret the kitchen side, but we are all used to that discussion
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:02 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Looks like a clone of a 170 Roadtrek with an aisle shower and bathroom.

There are going to be few that will regret the kitchen side, but we are all used to that discussion
That and the poop in the aisle setup.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:13 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Quick, register that as a trademark and collect royalties from RT.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:17 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post

Is that better or worse than the "poop in the shower" version??
Old 01-18-2017, 02:30 AM   #7
Platinum Member

This female prefers the Activ... I much prefer its bath set-up and the galley on the passenger side. (I've had both...)
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:14 PM   #8
Platinum Member

There is alot to like about the Atkiv 1.0 and I don't think there is any difference in the appeal if you are male or female. I don't care at all for the van in this video, though.

I've been told by salemen many times that lighter interiors sell better and for higher prices.

For such as small platform, they've packed alot into it and some very clever ideas. Can't wait to see the pics on the 2.0.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:30 PM   #9
Platinum Member

It would be interesting to see one in person, I think, and it would be even more interesting to see a longer version with front to back sleeping. I think the longer version would be similar to the Roadtrek 190 floor layout that we have.

We may be the exception, but we like the facing the aisle bathroom setup. It is less crowded and easier than most of the enclosed bathrooms we have seen. The aisle shower gives plenty of room compared to many of the wet baths with the toilet and sink in the way, although we don't shower in the van as a rule. If no aisle shower, our second choice would be an aisle facing bathroom, and a standalone shower stall. That way, if we weren't using the shower, it could be used as a huge storage area. The video unit allegedly had a standalone shower, but it wasn't shown.

We don't really care which side the kitchen is on, so that is a non-issue for us.

We like light colored interior as it is just friendlier, I think. The dark stuff seems impressive at a dealer walkthrough with all the doors and windows open, but when all closed up loses a lot of it's desirability.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:48 PM   #10
BBQ
Platinum Member

I am still having a hard time pronouncing "Hymer".

Hi-Ma?

Hine-Mai?

Hu-Mo?

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:54 PM   #11
Platinum Member

My wife and I spent a lot of time in the Aktiv at the Boston show this past weekend. We were surprisingly impressed with it. I just can't get comfortable in the Promaster driving seat... however looking forward to future Hymer models hopefully built on the Sprinter chassis.

Things we really liked:
- Light and airy interior finishes. Compared to the Roadtrek Agile we ordered with Cherry interior (lightest wood available now) we really liked the open interior.
- Lots of windows and the sunroof is great
- Window design - great design with the window opening, built in screens and shades.
- Rear windows actually open.
- Small details like where hooks were placed... small things but for those that spend time in these vans the small items matter like movable hooks on a track in the shower. Usable for drying things. Also, liked the shelves in the cabinets, cutlery holder in the drawers, soft close drawers, folding table, etc. etc. Lots of nice things that add up to a feeling of a well thought out interior
- Truma and underhood generator... if someone were thinking of a Travato G; I found the Aktiv superior in almost every way. Also, you get a 6 year warranty vs 1.
- Loved that it was built on the short chassis; great to see another option in this size
- If you can fit in the Promaster the Aktiv IMO is a lot of van for the money

Dislikes:
- Promaster chassis for me at 6.0 feet tall just doesn't work. For me the driving position is like sitting on a bar stool...
- Layout with rear bed. Great for storage but we really wanted to have a dual seating zone with two tables so we both can work. Not really a dislike of the Aktiv if you like that layout
- Not a huge fan of the almost white interior seats. It is a Pro that it is light and airy but a con that it could be hard to keep clean. The van we toured was already getting dirty on the edges of the seats
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 05:05 PM   #12
Platinum Member

It looks like the Hymer Sonne has some version of the shower in the cabinet behind the drivers seat that was shown in the Roadtrek Link before.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:06 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyne View Post
My wife and I spent a lot of time in the Aktiv at the Boston show this past weekend. We were surprisingly impressed with it. I just can't get comfortable in the Promaster driving seat... however looking forward to future Hymer models hopefully built on the Sprinter chassis.

Things we really liked:
- Light and airy interior finishes. Compared to the Roadtrek Agile we ordered with Cherry interior (lightest wood available now) we really liked the open interior.
- Lots of windows and the sunroof is great
- Window design - great design with the window opening, built in screens and shades.
- Rear windows actually open.
- Small details like where hooks were placed... small things but for those that spend time in these vans the small items matter like movable hooks on a track in the shower. Usable for drying things. Also, liked the shelves in the cabinets, cutlery holder in the drawers, soft close drawers, folding table, etc. etc. Lots of nice things that add up to a feeling of a well thought out interior
- Truma and underhood generator... if someone were thinking of a Travato G; I found the Aktiv superior in almost every way. Also, you get a 6 year warranty vs 1.
- Loved that it was built on the short chassis; great to see another option in this size
- If you can fit in the Promaster the Aktiv IMO is a lot of van for the money

Dislikes:
- Promaster chassis for me at 6.0 feet tall just doesn't work. For me the driving position is like sitting on a bar stool...
- Layout with rear bed. Great for storage but we really wanted to have a dual seating zone with two tables so we both can work. Not really a dislike of the Aktiv if you like that layout
- Not a huge fan of the almost white interior seats. It is a Pro that it is light and airy but a con that it could be hard to keep clean. The van we toured was already getting dirty on the edges of the seats
Nice description of your tour of the Aktiv. I still haven't had a chance to see one in person. They don't seem interested in showing one at the Montreal RV show. Will wait.

I'm 6'1" and I was surprised by the driving position in the Promaster at first but I now much prefer it's drivability than the Sprinter. We never got tired, even after 800 miles streches. I love the commanding view of the road and the efficient FWD. It's not the typical laid back position but once you actually drive it becomes very comfortable. You have to take a road test. Half our fun of camping is actually driving our beast!
GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 03:53 AM   #14

Traveling Robert posted an unedited video yesterday on YouTube from the Tampa RV show that is almost 1 hour long.

He currently has a Winnebago Micro Minnie trailer but has been looking at Class B or B+ RVs. In the video he went through a lot of different Class B models. If you're interested in seeing the Hymer models it starts at about 9:30 in the video. The new Hymer Sonne begins at about the 12 minute mark and the Hymer Aktiv 2.0 is at 19:45.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:01 PM   #15
Platinum Member

It appears that the Sonne might have a black tank...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 01-20-2017, 07:38 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
It appears that the Sonne might have a black tank...
Possibly. Here is a photo of the Sonne showing an access panel on the rear of the toilet stall, BUT it does not look like the standard access door for a cassette toilet (look at the Aktiv)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sonne.jpg (46.0 KB, 39 views)
Old 01-21-2017, 01:06 AM   #17
Platinum Member

It seems to be a door, but certainly wouldn't allow removal the Activ type cassette. Seems wrong shape and too small...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 01-21-2017, 02:08 AM   #18
Platinum Member

I think it must be access for the cassette, the standard opening in an external cassette door is 13" high x 11" wide which looks like that opening would work...

What what else could it be?
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 02:40 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
What what else could it be?
Plumbing access?
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:06 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Someone on Facebook put up photos and the price sheet. And it lists a "macerator" as standard. So...

The price with all the options was $101,000... I think the base price was about $83K
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme