Old 05-30-2018, 11:33 PM   #1

Default New member...seriously considering

My wife and I are looking at buying a new 144 class B RV. We have so many questions.

1). From what we read, we like the PW Ascent and Midwest Automotive Passage. Can’t see much difference between the two. We have a hard time finding a dealer that carries these to check them out. What do you think?

2). We have never owned an RV but our plan is to take probably two week trips with our dog staying at campgrounds, boondocking in parking lots, La Quintas and staying with friends. We don’t expect to stay in one place more than a day or two and driving every day to a restaurant, hike or sightsee.

3). Why are people hell bent on getting away from propane? Is it the hassle to fill, weight and storage of generator, hate the frig or something else?

4). What arethe biggest challenges on the small size? Battery? Space for stuff? Weight capacity? We are thinking of buying a carrier for the hitch to carry chairs, cooler, etc.

5). We want bathroom and a shower although I don’t know how much we will use the shower.

Thoughts on our plan?

Thanks,

Mike

Dbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:07 AM   #2
Platinum Member

1. Only you can determine the Floorplan, features, quality level and price that meets your needs, and I have owned neither of these rigs, so I won't comment on your selections.
2. You will LOVE a B for this purpose, but probably wont end up staying at the LaQuintas too often.. Your plan to travel daily is basically what we do, it allows for your alternator to charge your batteries so you will probably not require generator use, or an expensive lithium battery system.
3.I don't know. We love our propane cooktop, fridge, furnace and water heater - lasts for weeks..
4. Our biggest challenge is getting enough time off to be on the road! If you find a floor plan with enough storage, you will not require a carrier for the hitch (which in my opinion, is a pain, and extends the length of your van) We carry everything you mentioned easily plus an oven, and other bulky items.
5. Good plan; we wanted the same, and got it, and don't use the shower often, but it is GREAT to have when you need it. The toilet needs the space anyways, might as well have a shower.

Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:55 AM   #3
Site Team

Propane is not that bad, except for the refrigerator. One can live with an absorption fridge (we did for a decade), but once you have owned a compressor unit you would NEVER go back. The former is a constant science experiment. The latter is just like the fridge in your kitchen at home.

We have an Espar diesel unit for heat and hot water. It is really nice to have a furnace that uses the same fuel as your engine, but it isn't life-changing the way a compressor fridge is. Propane furnaces and hot water heaters are fine. But if you have diesel or petrol heat, a tank of propane can last for years.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:37 AM   #4
Platinum Member

A good set of questions to be asking. The last two posts have good info that matches my experience.

I found that having a dealer nearby is pretty important during the first year or two so warranty work is easier. So you might want to look at other models that are nearby. These type of class B’s are fairly complicated and need some shakedown time and likely at least some warranty work. But worth it to get everything working right.

While my 2013 Roadtrek RS Sprinter has a propane system, the refrigerator is all electric and has worked well. Nothing like good food and cold drinks in the boonies.

One advantage to having both batteries and propane is that it gives you some redundancy in case that one or the other is having problems.

The shower may not be essential and I have only used it maybe once per year. But it has let me take care of some business visits while on the road but needed to be presentable.
Knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 01:27 PM   #5

Thanks for sharing all your thoughts. For those of you with 144” sprinters, where do you keep camping chairs and do you use outdoor grills and if so do you connect to the propane or use the small bottles and where do you stow the grill? We don?t have an RV dealership within a couple hundred miles of us so that doesn’t help on the selection. If you guys get a chance, can you compare features and reputation on the PW Ascent and Midwest Automotive Passages and share your insights? I am concerned that there is so little written and discussed about Midwest Automotive.

Thanks,

Mike (DaBears)
Old 06-02-2018, 05:41 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Default Think small in a Class B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbears View Post
Thanks for sharing all your thoughts. For those of you with 144” sprinters, where do you keep camping chairs and do you use outdoor grills and if so do you connect to the propane or use the small bottles and where do you stow the grill? We don?t have an RV dealership within a couple hundred miles of us so that doesn’t help on the selection. If you guys get a chance, can you compare features and reputation on the PW Ascent and Midwest Automotive Passages and share your insights? I am concerned that there is so little written and discussed about Midwest Automotive.

Thanks,

Mike (DaBears)
The whole point of a Class B is a small footprint...so, we keep two chairs in the back... sometimes take an easy up canopy.... very small folding table...

Propane is never a problem... most truck stops have it along with diesel..and ours lasts about a month...we have a 12 gallon tank onboard..you need to find a technician usually during the day...not self service!

Outdoor grills... skip it and use the campground...psst... even if you had an outdoor grill...you can't use it at Walmart!

No RV dealership within 200 miles? Yes, that will make shopping for one with a competitive price harder...call someone in a larger Metro area....

Are you limiting your options to a 144 inch wheelbase? WHY?

Good luck.....
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:44 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Default How's your 2013 RS Adventurous holding up??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knit View Post
A good set of questions to be asking. The last two posts have good info that matches my experience.

I found that having a dealer nearby is pretty important during the first year or two so warranty work is easier. So you might want to look at other models that are nearby. These type of class B’s are fairly complicated and need some shakedown time and likely at least some warranty work. But worth it to get everything working right.

While my 2013 Roadtrek RS Sprinter has a propane system, the refrigerator is all electric and has worked well. Nothing like good food and cold drinks in the boonies.

One advantage to having both batteries and propane is that it gives you some redundancy in case that one or the other is having problems.

The shower may not be essential and I have only used it maybe once per year. But it has let me take care of some business visits while on the road but needed to be presentable.
I have a 2012 RS Adventurous.... with 41,000 miles... purchased last year from original owners through a dealership..they were turning it in on a new model...

What's your experience been so far with the Roadtrek? Let's talk via email....

---MARK
Old 06-02-2018, 09:37 PM   #8

I really would like the 144” wheelbase to work. We have about 22’ on our driveway and I like the idea of fitting into a regular parking spot. As I said, our goal is to take it on two week vacations and it will be our primary form of transportation while traveling. We really would like to road trip to see baseball or football games and concerts. I think we can pack creatively to make it work and use the back hitch carrier when necessary. What do I really give up space or functionality-wise by going with the shorter B? Storing offsite is an option but not a preference.

We are retired and love to travel but the new dog is causing us to rethink how we travel. Looking at a new hobby as well. One of our neighbors has a 170” Advantage RV and they also were torn with getting the shorter wheelbase from PW. In the end, they just felt the smaller one would be cramped. After retiring we really downsized and prefer simplicity wherever possible. I get the sense there’s nothing simple about RVing but the Class B short body seems more manageable in visiting friends and driving in larger cities.

I appreciate all your thoughts on this and, again, advice on PW vs. Midwest Automotive is appreciated if anybody is familiar with the two models.

Thanks,

Mike (Da Bears)
Old 06-02-2018, 10:04 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Default I would give some serious thought on the company's history

Quote:
I really would like the 144” wheelbase to work. We have about 22’ on our driveway and I like the idea of fitting into a regular parking spot. As I said, our goal is to take it on two week vacations and it will be our primary form of transportation while traveling. We really would like to road trip to see baseball or football games and concerts. I think we can pack creatively to make it work and use the back hitch carrier when necessary. What do I really give up space or functionality-wise by going with the shorter B? Storing offsite is an option but not a preference.

We are retired and love to travel but the new dog is causing us to rethink how we travel. Looking at a new hobby as well. One of our neighbors has a 170” Advantage RV and they also were torn with getting the shorter wheelbase from PW. In the end, they just felt the smaller one would be cramped. After retiring we really downsized and prefer simplicity wherever possible. I get the sense there’s nothing simple about RVing but the Class B short body seems more manageable in visiting friends and driving in larger cities.

I appreciate all your thoughts on this and, again, advice on PW vs. Midwest Automotive is appreciated if anybody is familiar with the two models.

Thanks,

Mike (Da Bears)

Mike, a lot depends on how close the dealership is to you .. another factor is the price, warranty and of course, how long have they been in business.

Don't know how long PW has been around... looks like 1986... that doesn't mean they are better than Midwest... just keep it in mind.

Also, for me.. it says a lot about a company where they focus on one thing and get it right.... for example, Roadtrek has been building Class B's exclusively since 1974... they don't do anything else

https://midwestautomotivedesigns.com/sprinter-vans

From what I see on the above website... Midwest Automotive, since 2001, has been focusing on just Class B's as well.. that's good.

Pleasure Way, while a fine choice is like Winnebago and builds a Class B+ as well.. they're really Class C's.... And, Midwest is an American company....

You'll have to evaluate all of these things. Best of luck.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:33 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:

Thanks,

Mike (DaBears)
Hi Mike,

We have 2 "Larry" chairs that we store out back under the sofa. They are quite small and one needs to be "euro-sized" for them to work for you. They are very well made and small. You could fit larger but we have 6-plastic drawer storage containers out back too. We haven't brought a grill along yet.

2017 RT Agile SS
ponti33602 is offline   Reply With Quote