Old 08-10-2015, 03:06 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default New or Used

Hi - did a quick search and didn't stumble across this.............

We are still a year or so out from a purchase. We tend to pre-plan so starting to do research. Thinking class B due to size, mileage and will prob not stay in any given location more than a day or two. Any one else purposely choose a class B for the similar reasons over a Class A or C?

Anyway, we typically are buy new people. However, these type of vehicles may lend themselves to buying used model. She has looked on-line and will go this weekend to look at a Leisure Travel Van Unity MB model. Looks like with options she would want the MSRP would be ~$140K but looks like I see used with less than 20K for ~$100K-$115K pretty frequently. Curious what your thoughts?

Also, she only picked this brand due to the floor plan. What are the other brands that folks seem to like?

Would like Diesel and prefer Mercedes but would be open.

Anyway, appreciate any feedback/comments and will begin reading as much here as possible as we begin our learning process.

Regards,
Bob

ponti33602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:42 PM   #2
Platinum Member

It's good that you have some time before buying.

Starting in Oct. the RV shows start. See you are in Florida so check out
FRVTA - Current RV Shows . Should be lots of models to see, different floorpans, options, prices. Even if you want used, seeing new is still valuable - you will see many of the same models, though a bit older, on a used lot. Go, see, ask questions, take photos, compare and then go home and digest it all.

The Unity is quite roomy, but you say Class B, and I would consider the Unity a Class B+, given it is over a foot wider, almost 2 feet longer, and 9" taller than the Spirit models in their lineup. In fact most Class B's from other manufacturers - Roadtrek, Winnebago, Pleasureway, etc. are more the size of their Spirit line.

Size does make a difference when driving and maneuverability and it sounds like you will be driving a lot, moving every day or two. Best way to find out is test drive both, if you can arrange that.

I am sure others on this forum have experience with both sizes and will offer opinions.

Old 08-10-2015, 04:48 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Thx Bob. I actually found that link and have a show we will attend at the FL fairgrounds in Nov. Makes more sense a B+ and probably why she was attracted to it as a bit larger yet still on an easy to drive platform or so I "think".

Any thoughts of used versus new? I view these as motorcycles, boats, etc and you can prob find a basically un-used one if you are will to go fly and get it in some cases. That being said if we will simply save $20K+- I am not sure. If used, I see the RV Trader. Is that where most folks tend to look?

2017 RT Agile SS
Old 08-10-2015, 05:40 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponti33602 View Post
Any thoughts of used versus new? I view these as motorcycles, boats, etc and you can prob find a basically un-used one if you are will to go fly and get it in some cases. That being said if we will simply save $20K+- I am not sure. If used, I see the RV Trader. Is that where most folks tend to look?
Understand used - I bought my 1999 VW EVC with 103k miles on it - they don't make them anymore (yes in Europe, but not available in NA).

Depreciation is a big factor in new vs used. The nice thing about "recently" used is someone else has broken in the systems, dealt with the numerous things that need fixing when delivered new, field tested it all for you. For many, non-smokers and no pets is also an important criteria. Save $20K? Buys some nice trips. Or $20k less payments. You might save more. A lot of RVs in Florida and may be some deals. People sell for all kinds of reasons, including trading up to a bigger rv.

RV Trader is one place to start. Start reading them and keep notes on brand, model, year, mileage, condition, etc - start doing your own comps to get your own sense of what a "fair and reasonable" price would be. Unlike real estate brokers, RV dealers are not going to help you with that.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:43 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Oh, one more thing - search/browse through the RV Education 101 threads on this forum. Lots of useful articles - Tips on Buying, Going to an RV Show, etc.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:45 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Great insight and thx again........brings up another thought........do most people then get a class b or b+ simply due to budget when you mention trading up? It would always be only the 2 of us and were thinking it would be a more practical fit but if there is a progression of sorts from b to c and then a I would probably just have her start thinking a.............lot to learn for sure...............any trouble with diesels....do more people prefer them over gas or gas over diesel. Was just thinking diesel made more sense for this type of vehicle.

2017 RT Agile SS
Old 08-10-2015, 06:31 PM   #7
Platinum Member

People trade UP and DOWN.

Downsizing - just a couple, kids moved out, saving $, etc. But there are also probably people who start out in a B, then realize they want something larger and go to B+, C or some to A. I have met campers who started in a tent, went to large C, back down to a B and ended up in an A. And there are "towables". One thing I do know is that Class B is a very small part of the market.

Gas vs diesel? I am sure there are several threads on this Forum discussing that!
Old 08-11-2015, 12:42 AM   #8
Platinum Member

I'm a single traveler and started out with a Class B, a Great West Van, in 2004. I prefer new since I'm not mechanically inclined.

In 2010, after a couple years with no RV, I decided to go bigger and ordered a small Class C (IMHO there is no B+ and even LTV now properly calls their units a Class C) I didn't want diesel, so I went with the Libero on a Chevy platform.

My travels have changed again and I traded in the Libero and will be getting a new Class B, the smallest made, a Roadtrek 170.

I can highly recommend the LTV units... beautifully built with quality materials and they keep their value. The downside being that they are very expensive, in high demand so there is little discount, and there is 9-12 month wait if you order a new one. The used ones sell pretty fast. My dealer sold my trade-in in less than a month to someone in Texas... sight unseen...

Attend a few shows... figure out what will work best for you...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:56 AM   #9
Lou
Silver Member

Default New or used

The 22' Triple E class C we used to have was good quality but much cheaper than a Class B. We bought a 3 year old one because that is what we could afford. I noticed the other day that a current 3 year old seems to have only gone up by a few thousand since we first bought in 1996. The Class Bs seemed to have increased in price a lot faster. We also bought it second hand.
Even if we could afford to buy new I am not sure I would if it was my first RV of that type. You have a lot less to lose on a second hand one if it turns out not to suit you.
Both times we rented a similar RV before we bought.
I like our 20' Pleasure-Way because it is small enough that we are allowed to park it in front of our house. No need to store it somewhere.
You also need to think how you are going to use it. Although our B is smaller it seems to have more living space. We can sit in front seats turned around or on the couch. In the C there was only the uncomfortable dinette or the bed. We have more windows to enjoy the view. Do you both go to sleep at the same time? If not where will the other person sit?
For us the downside of our Class B are the tiny fridge below the counter and the tiny shower. Lots of the newer ones have bigger fridges.
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:13 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponti33602 View Post
Hi - did a quick search and didn't stumble across this.............

We are still a year or so out from a purchase. We tend to pre-plan so starting to do research. Thinking class B due to size, mileage and will prob not stay in any given location more than a day or two. Any one else purposely choose a class B for the similar reasons over a Class A or C?

Anyway, we typically are buy new people. However, these type of vehicles may lend themselves to buying used model. She has looked on-line and will go this weekend to look at a Leisure Travel Van Unity MB model. Looks like with options she would want the MSRP would be ~$140K but looks like I see used with less than 20K for ~$100K-$115K pretty frequently. Curious what your thoughts?

Also, she only picked this brand due to the floor plan. What are the other brands that folks seem to like?

Would like Diesel and prefer Mercedes but would be open.

Anyway, appreciate any feedback/comments and will begin reading as much here as possible as we begin our learning process.

Regards,
Bob
I owned two C class RVs both bought used. Saved a lot. Currently have Pleasureway Plateau TS bought used. If you buy a diesel RV ie MB then the mileage is academic. How well they are served and generally maintained is the most important. I am looking at a LTV UNITY TB model but so far the prices are too scary. My current rv has about 50K miles on it and the engine isn't even worn in yet--nature of diesels.
The Unity is actually a C class and the fiberglas bodies on frame are different from the all steel Sprinters especially in width AND turning circle so if you are dodging in and out of small shopping malls, bear that in mind. My wife wants the Unity while I am happy with the TS. Happy shopping.
AL

Fastpaddler1 is offline   Reply With Quote