Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2014, 01:02 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default new roadtrek-video put up 5/8-summer?

video of a new roadtrek?

[youtube:28focy9k]cxnyZNQtYho[/youtube:28focy9k]
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:44 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: new roadtrek-video put up 5/8-summer?

I didn't see much in that video other than a touch control panel which is something Advanced RV has been doing for two years (since they started making RVs.)
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:47 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Every time someone mentions Advanced-RV, I always wonder how many units Advanced-RV has actually sold. I see some units that I think have been sitting on their website for a while, at prices ranging from $140,000 for a 2013 with 9,000 miles on it, to some that approach $180,000, and some that they haven't yet priced (out of fear?), that incidentally are often being driven by someone on test drives. Their business model just seems hard to fathom. I almost believe they're trying to be more like a top end Sportsmobile builder, choosing to custom build things for specific client requests, as the website suggests. The price tags they have on the generic and prototype units listed on their website are beyond the range of most folks looking for a class B van it seems, or they'd be "flying off the shelves". Very puzzling company, and their website doesn't provide many answers beyond we are custom builders. I guess it could be as simple as that, but is that business model sustainable over time?
Old 05-09-2014, 07:44 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Three things I noticed in the new Roadtrek video:

1. A new interior design. The cabinet doors have a more European two-tone style. The upholstery has also changed from a solid color to two tones. The wall next to the inside panel display looks like a new color of wood finish. The TS Adventurous that they announced earlier had a different new style of cabinetry but both appear to have LED strips above the cabinets. I wonder if the interior style will be different for each model or will folks have the option to choose what they want.

2. The panel display. This looks like the system on the TS Adventurous previously announced.

Here's the video of the TS:

3. Curious people are now required to wear rainbow t-shirts when they look at Roadtreks.

[youtube:24jtku2o]4JvFIwMCb68[/youtube:24jtku2o]
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:53 AM   #5

no, visitors can wear regular civilian clothing - anything they want. the tie-dye is for the design consultants. the hard-wired touch screen is nothing new to Class B design, but there are things - other modalities - that Jim Hammill isn't too enthusiastic about the details getting out on yet, or he wouldn't have edited out all the cool parts of the video. don't get hung up on the touch screen user interface, think about how it's how it connected. it's full of stars...
campskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:30 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Every time someone mentions Advanced-RV, I always wonder how many units Advanced-RV has actually sold. I see some units that I think have been sitting on their website for a while, at prices ranging from $140,000 for a 2013 with 9,000 miles on it, to some that approach $180,000, and some that they haven't yet priced (out of fear?), that incidentally are often being driven by someone on test drives. Their business model just seems hard to fathom. I almost believe they're trying to be more like a top end Sportsmobile builder, choosing to custom build things for specific client requests, as the website suggests. The price tags they have on the generic and prototype units listed on their website are beyond the range of most folks looking for a class B van it seems, or they'd be "flying off the shelves". Very puzzling company, and their website doesn't provide many answers beyond we are custom builders. I guess it could be as simple as that, but is that business model sustainable over time?
Mike,

All you have to do is ask them. They have a basic design but custom tailor for your desires. They have the first 4 cylinder B on the road, the first VB Air Suspension B on the road, most likely will have the first B 4 x 4 Sprinter B on the road in America. They have without doubt in my mind the best cabinetry, upholstery, finish touches, insulation and hidden work of any B manufacturer. They were building "e-trek" like concept Bs before Roadtrek. If you have an idea they will execute it for you. They currently have a capacity of about 20 per year but could expand with demand. They are not a choose from a kit of parts builder like Sportsmobile. They build only on the Sprinter chassis. The owner of the company simply wants to build the best Class B. This was easily learned at their recent Advanced Fest. There were several Advanced RV owners attending and everyone of them had a unique B built to their desires and interior finish. But if you have to ask about the cost you might be better off with a Roadtrek. But remember you get what you pay for.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:16 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Interesting stuff There's a Class B out there for everyone. A few more choices at the low end would be nice but the high end stuff is great. I got to see a new Roadtrek RS at an RV show this year and I didn't want to leave it!

Thing's sure have changed since vans like Uncle Rico's

The video makes a good point about not waiting .......... none of us are guaranteed tomorrow. So get out there and have some fun while you can.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ricovan.jpg (22.5 KB, 620 views)
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:09 PM   #8
Platinum Member

When did you paint your van orange? You'll be able to boondock in a pumpkin patch in stealth mode.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:01 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
Quote:
Mike,

All you have to do is ask them. They have a basic design but custom tailor for your desires. They have the first 4 cylinder B on the road, the first VB Air Suspension B on the road, most likely will have the first B 4 x 4 Sprinter B on the road in America. They have without doubt in my mind the best cabinetry, upholstery, finish touches, insulation and hidden work of any B manufacturer. They were building "e-trek" like concept Bs before Roadtrek. If you have an idea they will execute it for you. They currently have a capacity of about 20 per year but could expand with demand. They are not a choose from a kit of parts builder like Sportsmobile. They build only on the Sprinter chassis. The owner of the company simply wants to build the best Class B. This was easily learned at their recent Advanced Fest. There were several Advanced RV owners attending and everyone of them had a unique B built to their desires and interior finish. But if you have to ask about the cost you might be better off with a Roadtrek. But remember you get what you pay for.
The second half of your reply is interesting. I think it supports my comments to some extent.

"Capacity = about 20/year, but could expand with demand." So the demand is limited to a few custom builds per year, and some prototypes, largely because of the cost to build the higher end fit and finished product. Add the profit margin required to support that business model, and their prices are approaching the point where some folks looking for a class B on a Sprinter might say, wait a minute, that's a lot for a small RV with some of the limitations of the class B that go along with it. In other words, you can probably shop around and get a decent class B RV on a Sprinter for a lot less than what they need to get for their products. Or, the other point that we've discussed before, if you can afford an Advanced-RV, why not just get something larger and more spacious and comfortable and pull a toad, and the heck with the fuel economy.

"They want to build the best Class B." Not a bad thing in an aspiration sense, but if that means low to no sales volume because it places it in a very small niche market, it may be, in a business sense.

I suspect there are only "several Advanced-RV owners". (ok, just joking. maybe. )

"As for asking about the price (or cost as you said) means you can't afford one", that appears to be true, and not just for RVs. I'm not sure about the relevance, though. If you mean only the rich can afford them, that may be another factor that lowers demand and sales and places them in a small niche market.

"You get what you pay for." Perhaps, when the purchase seems "to good to be true". The corollary is, do you always get good value for the money you spend? I'm not sure about that.

Seriously, I was just wondering out loud how long their high end custom build business model can be sustained. To date, it appears to be working, so that is a good thing.

As for Sportsmobile being a "kit parts" builder, I'll step aside and let those who own them respond to that comment. Or not. SM's business model appears to be sustainable, as they have been around for a while (50+ years?). I think they've been around longer than Roadtrek, but I'm not familiar with their history. I would imagine they could build anything that Advanced-RV could build, if you asked them. I suspect most of their customers want a comfortable and functional class B RV at a fair price.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:07 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
When did you paint your van orange? You'll be able to boondock in a pumpkin patch in stealth mode.
That made me laugh, still laughing!
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:39 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
Mike,

Actually, I think Volkswagen had one of the first 4 cylinder class B vans on the road quite a long time ago. Westfalia, Vanagon, and the like. I'm guessing you meant the first 4 cylinder Sprinter class B?
Old 05-12-2014, 12:50 AM   #12

Mike wrote:
Every time someone mentions Advanced-RV, I always wonder how many units dvanced-RV has actually sold. I see some units that I think have been sitting on their website for a while, at prices ranging from $140,000 for a 2013 with 9,000 miles on it, to some that approach $180,000, and some that they haven't yet priced (out of fear?), that incidentally are often being driven by someone on test drives. Their business model just seems hard to fathom. I almost believe they're trying to be more like a top end Sportsmobile builder, choosing to custom build things for specific client requests, as the website suggests. The price tags they have on the generic and prototype units listed on their website are beyond the range of most folks looking for a class B van it seems, or they'd be "flying off the shelves". Very puzzling company, and their website doesn't provide many answers beyond we are custom builders. I guess it could be as simple as that, but is that business model sustainable over time?

Davydd wrote:

To continue with what Davydd wrote:
I also believe Mike Neundorfer, the owner of Advanced RV made the decision to build custom Class B units for those owners who want more than the cookie-cutter models most motor home builders sell. When you read some of the blogs in their “news” tab you can see there are owners who want a coach built to their needs and desires. In one blog, the coach needed to be built to carry two very special show dogs. In another a couple simply wanted to be able to have a coach built to “their needs”, no generator, a place for their rug. The beauty of Advanced RV is the fact Mike and Marcia started this company because they felt a need for a better built coach for their traveling adventures. Not finding one to meet their qualifications, they decided to build one that would satisfy them. Advanced RV “is” the “Newell” of the Class B industry. He is not interested in being in the race to sell more than another manufacturer. He is interested in selling the best. Yes, they will cost more but they are built for the client’s desires. To be able to dry camp with a battery system that can handle most if not all of the electrical needs without having to have the constraint of finding a campground, to be able to enjoy the adventure of what traveling in a motor home is all about and with amenities that fill your requirements. That is Mike’s business model. It’s not a question of how many can be sold or is the price competitive. Will the business model be sustainable over the long run? Yes, I do believe there enough RV owners out there who are downsizing from DP’s and Buses to want this class of motor home built to their needs and are willing to pay for what they want, not what they have to settle for.
jgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:12 AM   #13
Platinum Member

I don't see how a manufacturer could survive on 20 a year. on the other hand doesn't he own other businesses that contribute the expertise to these vans. If the costs are actually parcelled out to his other businesses than maybe?
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:19 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51
I don't see how a manufacturer could survive on 20 a year. on the other hand doesn't he own other businesses that contribute the expertise to these vans. If the costs are actually parcelled out to his other businesses than maybe?
Gerrym51, that is a worry and concern that has no bearing on the situation. Advanced RV has a business plan and the confidence and I believe they are debt free in the venture if Mike N is to be believed. Once the B is in my hands their continued success is no longer an issue if you have the best built B. There are several discontinued B brands out there holding their value. I suspect Great West Vans is not doing much more.

It is kind of refreshing that right now they are not making decisions for their benefit in cutting cost.

I guess some, actually a lot of people like light beer made with rice instead of the real thing. So be it. Quantity doesn't equate to quality or even success.