Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2014, 04:40 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default New RT CS

RT has posted teaser for new features http://roadtreking.com/sneak-peak-next-rv/ Seems like logical evolution of design to move AC off roof to allow more solar to feed large bank of lithiums. Will be interested to see details and costs.
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:45 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: New RT CS

This Wenland guy seems to get a new motorhome every other year. Good for him. Great video with virtually no information. Keeping it a secret just in case some other company drops what they are doing on their own designs and steals Roadtrek's ideas .Roadtrek is one weird company.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:19 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I mentioned the inside air conditioning was what was probably installed in Campskunk's B. Prediction is coming to pass.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:08 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909
This Wenland guy seems to get a new motorhome every other year. Good for him. Great video with virtually no information. Keeping it a secret just in case some other company drops what they are doing on their own designs and steals Roadtrek's ideas .Roadtrek is one weird company.

Mike Wendlend is basically a small business. he does pcmike segments for nbc,runs and owns the roadtrekking forums/has sponsorships. I suspect the Roadtreks he uses are deducted as business expenses. that would make it easier
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:49 AM   #5
Platinum Member

How difficult would it be to replace a rooftop AC unit with a sub-floor one? I know that it would be relatively easy at the time the unit's being built, but I'm curious about after that.

SG
P.S. If anyone want's to give me a new Roadtrek, I'd be glad to accept!
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:02 AM   #6
Platinum Member

The closest thing to this I've seen is the Danhard A/C option that is available with Sportsmobiles. It isn't a cheap option, but it is useful when is wanting a more stealthy option. I'm not sure if it is more repairable than a rooftop A/C, as there isn't much out there.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:00 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Seems like technological advancements in the Class B's are accelerating. Guess that's the result of a healthy market.

Getting the AC off the roof has a lot of benefits - increasing stealth is obvious, but also lowering the center of gravity and thus resultant improvement in vehicle handling.

A one time, Winnebago did this in their Class A units. My dad had one in a Vectra. Problematic is a kind word for his experience with it, but that was many years ago.

Can't wait to see how they do this and the reliability of this particular AC unit. Of course there will be a trade-off - I assume one less cabinet to put your junk.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:25 AM   #8
Platinum Member

With a high roof van like a Transit which is about 10 inches taller than a ProMaster or Sprinter, it might be a good compromise to have a Danhard style A/C in return for the extra room inside. Overall, the van's height wouldn't be any taller than one with a rooftop A/C.

My concern is serviceability. Rooftop A/C units are made to be tossed, as there is no way to add refrigerant. Other A/C systems such as on cars can have stuff added when needed. For a system as hard to replace as a basement A/C, it better be made to be easily maintained, ideally if the compressor goes out, just that can be replaced and not the whole HVAC system.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:33 AM   #9
Platinum Member

If I understand correctly, the Transit is taller because the body is higher off the ground, not because the interior height is greater. In fact, I would think it's more suitable to getting the AC off the roof and that there would be room underneath the van for such equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:29 PM   #10
Site Team

I'm looking into under-vehicle AC as well. But, my primary motivation isn't aesthetics or height, it is noise. It is disgraceful how noisy all available ductless roof units are. They are barely usable. They don't have to be that way, but they are simply poorly designed and are not improving. I am expecting a well-chosen split system to be much quieter inside. There are several 12VDC systems available that are marketed mostly to the trucking industry. Tend to be expensive, though. Some people use residential split units--much cheaper, but 120VAC only and perhaps not as robust. There is increasing interest in this topic, but the choices are still murky.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:35 PM   #11
Platinum Member

sportsmobile says the high roof transit 110 inches-the high roof sprinter 108. the promaster is 101(front wheel drive-lower van)
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote