Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
Gold Member

Default New Sprinter Owners Winterizing PSA

Public Service Announcement:
I know there are a few of us on here who have purchased new (to them) Sprinter RVs in the last year and are likely getting ready to winterize for the 1st time. Last weekend my dad and I did a practice run of winterizing and discovered something that might help you....

I have a 2011 PW Plateau (Sprinter) and in order to drain the hot water heater you have to remove the anode rod, in order to remove the anode rod you need a socket wrench with a 1 1/16 socket. This socket only fits on a 1/2 drive also. This is an odd size socket and my dad - who has 3 sets of sockets in both English & metric didn't have one. I'm now on a quest to buy a socket wrench, an extender for the wrench because it's tight getting it in there, and the socket. I have no idea if all hot water heaters in all Sprinters are the same, but, they could be! So just a heads up to maybe do a dry run before it gets cold so you can have time to gather the tools you need!
teachergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: New Sprinter Owners Winterizing PSA

1-1/16 in sockets usually come in 3/4 in drive sets rather than 1/2 in drive. A 27mm metric socket should also mork.
AmCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Timely reminder & good info. Thanks for posting it.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:42 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I keep a dedicated socket wrench, extension and socket in my B for that purpose only. Given that it is a once or twice yearly event it is easy to forget where you put it otherwise. I believe that anode rod size is very standard. I've never seen another size in camping stores.

My 2005 Pleasure-way Plateau also had two stop cock drains for the water line on the driver side near the dump valve area that you could open up to drain water lines. I would open them up and drive around for a while. I usually did that on my last trip home if I knew I wasn't going to use the water again.

Also I have a plastic attachment like a valve stem that screws onto the city water fill that you can then run your compressor and blow water out of your lines. I bought it at Camping World. Do one faucet at a time. Don't forget to drain out your interior shower lines, your outside shower and your toilet valve.

I didn't use to do this but have gotten lazy about worrying if I have completely drained my lines so I add the pink anti-freeze and run the water pump until all faucets bleed pink. My Great West Van doesn't have those water line drain cocks so I am not as confident in getting all the water out. In the spring I will refill and drain the lines a couple of times including adding some bleach until I can no longer see or taste anti-freeze or bleach.

Fill your sink, lavatory and floor drains with anti-freeze to drive the water out. The anti-freeze that goes into your waste tank can stay there until the next time you dump.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:44 PM   #5
Platinum Member

After draining the water heater I use a " Tank Saver" RV water heater tank flushing tool.

I just keep flushing it out until no calcium deposits or anode rod bits etc. come out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tank saver-2.JPG (37.1 KB, 1465 views)
Old 10-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Also, an RV pump can be very useful if you use RV antifreeze.

I use it to pump RV antifreeze into the city water inlet until the RV antifreeze comes out of an open faucet in the RV and I use it to pump RV antifreeze into my empty fresh water tank to get RV antifreeze in the pipe that connects the fresh water tank to the water pump. (some rv-ers don't put RV antifreeze in their fresh water tanks)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg camco rv hand pump.jpg (17.1 KB, 1417 views)
Old 10-25-2012, 08:52 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Just a quick reminder that not all Sprinter vans have the Suburban hot water heater with the anode rod. Mine (Winnebago ERA) has the ATWOOD hot water heater with the nylon/teflon nut. It requires a 15/16" socket to remove.

Being a first time RV owner and being that this is the first time I will be winterizing my RV I have to admit that I am a little intimidated. I appreciate the information provided. I am wondering however if there are any "GOOD" videos out there detailing the winterizing of the Sprinter Class B RV. I've seen a miss-mash of videos that cover different RV's and trailers but it would be nice to see a Sprinter specific video ... just for the novice.

Thanks

Karsty

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover
Karsty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:04 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Winnebago, Pleasure-Way, Great West Vans, Roadtrek, Safari Condo, Leisure Travel, GTRV, Four Winds, Gulf Stream Coach etc. all build or have built Class B's on the Sprinter chassis. Each may have specific procedures that need to be carried out based on different models even under the same brand. You could be really misled by a generic "Sprinter B" winterizing video if it is not for your particular model. For example; some have low drain points in the piping and some don't, some will have diesel water heating and some electric and/or propane.......
Old 10-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I like the concept though Karsty.
I think I can put together standard wintering procedures in a new topic and then owners of different brands or models can post what is needed or not on their rigs.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Just putting a few winterizing links here for reference:

http://www.title-3.com/Winterize.htm

http://roadtrekchapter.org/winter.htm

http://roadtrek190popular.blogspot.ca/2 ... dtrek.html

http://www.roadtrekchapter.org/morewinter.htm

http://www.roadtrekchapter.org/2008_210_Winterizing.pdf

http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/s ... rizing.pdf

[youtube:2exyf4i1]HAgpE6qSVVA[/youtube:2exyf4i1]

[youtube:2exyf4i1]iY0m9fEdSP0[/youtube:2exyf4i1]

[youtube:2exyf4i1]qmZjLh_Lto8[/youtube:2exyf4i1]
Old 10-17-2018, 09:59 PM   #11

Default Socket wrench source

I found the socket wrench for the anode rod at Tractor Supply store for $20.
VTGAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:17 AM   #12
Platinum Member

I also keep a socket for this in the van tool box, it has no other use. I have a dedicated socket extension for it and a nice long breaker bar with a 1/2 drive.

My socket is a Craftsman brand, and I bought it not at the chain that just declared bankruptcy, but the other chain that's closing, Orchard Supply.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:42 PM   #13
Bea

This is the best resource I've found for winterizing my ERA. I took notes, and watch the video before I do the winterization.
https://www.lichtsinn.com/about-us/v...-winnebago-era
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:30 AM   #14
Platinum Member

For you Canadians, Princess Auto has a 1/2" drive 1 1/8" shallow socket for $7.29. Deep impact version for $17.39.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote