Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2007, 11:37 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default New to Class B Camping

Just wanted to say hi. We purchased a PW 4 weeks ago and have used it every weekend so far. Our best trip so far was to Niagara Falls (Canadian side) two weeks ago. We stayed at a small park that was very well cared for. The park was located 14 km from the falls (up river) and was directly across from the Niagara river. The scenery was just perfect. Located right in front of the campground is the scenic parkway. The parkway is a paved path that runs 56km along the river for biking, walking, roller blades. We brought our bikes with us and ventured to the Falls. No parking or traffic to worry about. It was perfect. When we returned to the camp we had a late lunch then rode our bikes to ZOOZS. This is a wildlife park that you can get very close to the animals like bears, tigers, lions, birds of prey, and even hippos! Class "B" is new to us. We have had hard tops, park models, and tents. I always thought a Class B vans would be the best for us when we reached empty nester status. This van is great! Good gas mileage, pull in and minimal setup. So far so good.

Steve and Lisa
V10
Steve_Guelph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 12:19 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Welcome Steve and Lisa

Sounds like you have quite a bit of RV experience. The park you went to when you visited Niagara Falls sounds GREAT to me.

My wife & I like to get away for as many weekends as we can too. Sometimes, going for the weekend feels like we've been away for a week!

What model Pleasure-Way do you have? Bobbi is a Pleasure-Way Eastcoast Ambassador on this forum. I know bobojay has a PW Lexor, julievojo has a PW Plateau, jerrygaylor has a PW Plateau. They're great units.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 01:06 AM   #3
Silver Member

Not 100% sure as we purchased it used. It is a 1999 Dodge Wide Body with the 318 motor. It has the electric couch at the back that goes into the bed. The shower is in the washroom not in the middle. It has very low km and looks new. We have had many people ask us about it and when we say it is a 99 they look shocked and say they thought it was new. The stove, shower, and awning was never used. The prior owners purchased it to go find a retirement property. They owned a car dealership and it was detailed and maintained to perfection.

Steve
V10
Old 09-04-2007, 03:53 AM   #4
Platinum Member

If it looks like this:

then it is a PW Excel.

Enclosed bath, power rear sofa.......... that's perfect.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:24 PM   #5
Silver Member

That's it .
V10
Old 09-04-2007, 04:36 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Default Re: New to Class B Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Guelph
Just wanted to say hi. We purchased a PW 4 weeks ago and have used it every weekend so far. Our best trip so far was to Niagara Falls (Canadian side) two weeks ago. We stayed at a small park that was very well cared for. The park was located 14 km from the falls (up river) and was directly across from the Niagara river. The scenery was just perfect. Located right in front of the campground is the scenic parkway. The parkway is a paved path that runs 56km along the river for biking, walking, roller blades. We brought our bikes with us and ventured to the Falls. No parking or traffic to worry about. It was perfect. When we returned to the camp we had a late lunch then rode our bikes to ZOOZS. This is a wildlife park that you can get very close to the animals like bears, tigers, lions, birds of prey, and even hippos! Class "B" is new to us. We have had hard tops, park models, and tents. I always thought a Class B vans would be the best for us when we reached empty nester status. This van is great! Good gas mileage, pull in and minimal setup. So far so good.

Steve and Lisa
Glad you like your pW, we took ours to Alaska and Canada this summer on a 9400+ mile trip and just loved it.
jerrygaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:13 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to julievojo

Congratulations on your new PW. I just know you'll have a blast with it. We've had ours for 3 years and 60,000 + miles now and we still love every mile that we travel.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:49 PM   #8
Silver Member

Thanks for the welcome. Where do I find clubs or other people in the area that camp as groups. I do this with our motorcycle club and we have met great friends and stayed at some places we would never have tried.

Steve
V10
Old 09-06-2007, 03:26 AM   #9
Silver Member

Default NEW PLEASURE-WAY!

Welcome to the PW Family! We are on our THIRD PW and we travel in it when ever and where ever we can. We also enjoy using it as our second van. We also have a '95 Ford van (original battery still in it).
As Marco mentioned, we are the EASTCOAST AMBASSADORS FOR PLEASURE-WAY, and we enjoy meeting new owners. If you have a CB, just want to let you know I have a Master List and I would be more then happy to add you to it. Just let me know. You can email me at: Hotbobbi@aol.com.
Enjoy your NEW PW !
2003 FORD EXCEL-RD (#3)
HAVE PLEASURE-WAY, WILL TRAVEL!
Bobbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:47 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Floorplans

1999 Pleasure-Way Excel TD

1999 Pleasure-Way Excel RD

1999 Pleasure-Way Excel MP
Old 09-11-2007, 04:11 PM   #11
Silver Member

Sorry it took so long to reply. We just returned from a cruise to the Key's and Mexico. Thanks again Marco. It is the Excel RD.
V10
Old 09-11-2007, 04:17 PM   #12
Silver Member

Hi Bobbi. We don't have a CB radio in the van. We use a 2 way when we venture with friends and a built in CB on the motorcycle with head-sets. Do RV'ers stay on a certain station as in truckers CH19 and motorcycles on CH29? What benefit would a CB give us?

Thanks...Steve
V10
Old 09-11-2007, 04:56 PM   #13
Silver Member

Default CB IN PW!

Hi Steve,
Hope you had a great trip! We are heading out for the Hershey Show in PA Thursday, then after that down to NC to visit my brother.
We like having the CB, in case of problems we can always ask the truckers for assitance, and they are very good at giving directions if you find yourself in an area you aren't familiar with.
We also had great use for it in Canada in June, after the Rally we took a caravan of 7 PW's up to Prince Albert National Park. Came in handy when someone needed a rest stop, or when I wanted to tell them of a deer ahead, or moose,etc.
Also, when we are traveling we look for other PW's on the road, and in parking lots and then we just look at our list and see if we have the license plate # and state listed. We can leave a note, or wait and say hello. Whatever suits our fancy
We also had use for it when one of our PW friends had a problem in Canada, had it fixed and we travelled all the way home using the CB to stay in touch.
We monitor Channel 20, not so much chatter on there. It seems to work for us and a lot of other folks. I have a list of 49 so far. You are more then welcome to join us-anytime
2003 FORD EXCEL-RD (#3)
Old 08-17-2008, 03:16 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default CB in Roadtrek

Bobbi,
Don't know how often you check old threads (like this one), but was wondering if you could recommend a good (or the best?) hand
held CB available. I don't want to mount a permanent CB in the rig just yet. I'm new to the forum and was thinking about getting one as I can't be bothered dealing with getting my cell phone provider to allow me to use my pre-paid in the US of A (have to secure the account with a credit card prior to using it int he States, a real pain since I've been their customer for over 20 years).
Any thoughts? I would like to pick it up in the USA, so a recommendation for the best place to get it would be helpful too.

Thanks,
Mike.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:09 AM   #15
Silver Member

Default CB - IN ROADTREK

Hi Mike,
COBRA makes a hand held CB and it has 10 weather channels on it. You can buy it from Camping World. They do have stores all over the USA. You can also go online at www.Camping World.com and look for it there. If you join their club, they do give you a discount.
If I can be of anymore help you can also email me at: Hotbobbi@aol.com.
2003 FORD EXCEL-RD (#3)
Old 08-19-2008, 04:19 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default CB radios (handheld) for sale in the USA

Hi Bobbi,
Thanks for the link and info, and I did find the Cobra CB handheld there. The price is about $40 cheaper than up here in the frozen tundra (not Green Bay, WI) and that's what I was looking for. Our prices are a lot higher because of the PST/GST (add 13% in Ontario) we have to pay, so when we make our first foray south, we'll find a Camping World and have a look.

Regards,
Mike.