Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #1

Default New to Class B's

Hello Folks, I'm Ron from Montgomery, Texas. I have been lurking on your forums for a month or so, but just registered. I just recently sold my pull behind camper and have been in search for a class B. We are Jeepers and intend to use it to travel and pull our Jeep to Colorado and Moab etc. Our original plan was to buy a van and convert it into a Camper, but in looking at cost and some of the Class B's out there, this seemed to be the way to go.
Now for my question. I found a 94 Pleasure way on a Dodge chassis with 66k miles on it. It was on ebay but had very little info as it was being sold as an estate. Hinze it didn't sell. I have spoke to the individual and it was his fathers who recently passed away. he said he wanted $6000 as that what the Probate appraisers valued it at. I look at many of these same units nation wide and they seem to go from 12k to 18K. Its about a 4 hour drive to see it. He says he has not been able to get the generator to start and he knows very little about them. In looking at new generators ( I'm hoping worse case scenario) they run about 3 grand, which would still put me way under what others are selling them for.
Does this sound like a unit I should look at? any thing else I should consider? I have never owned a Motor Home of any kind, and it seems that every time I get into something, there is so much more to consider. I have about 10 K in cash. Really didn't want to finance another vehicle. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Sorry to sound like such a Noob.
Bukrub66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: New to Class B's

Welcome to the forum Bukrub66

I'd drive the 4 hours to go and see it for sure at that price. In fact I'd be on the road already Onan generator carburetors get gunked up (ruined) from non use. Sometimes running products like Seafoam through the carb is enough to clean it. Sometimes the carb has to be replaced.

It's an older vehicle (almost 20 years) so expect some repairs and replacements (tires, brakes etc.) but I think your budget of $10k allows for that.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:07 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Also check to see if it has the 318 or 360 cubic inch engine. I you are going to be pulling a Jeep (could be quite light or pretty heavy depending on model), the 318 would probably have a tough time.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #4

This couldn't have come available at a worse time. Biz Partner is on Vacation and my Kids are coming in from Missouri this weekend. It will be Sunday before I can go look. Luckily he said he will not post it again until I come look but he does have a couple others looking that apparently have no money. This is the unit.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121193134031?fo ... OTORS:1123
Old 10-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I wouldn't hesitate to drive over. Oftentimes a couple C-notes will get you a replacement carb for the Onan and you will be back in business, but make sure you change the oil before trying to start the genset.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:02 PM   #6
Platinum Member

According to the VIN, the engine is a 5.2L 8cyl which is the 318. Here's the URL to a VIN decoder.

http://dodgeram.org/tech/specs/VIN_decode.htm
AmCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:10 PM   #7
Platinum Member

One thing to consider. There is not a shower. We have found the shower very useful and would not have a Class B without it.

There are other people that say they never use the shower in their B.

Need to think through that before deciding.

Pete
2006 Roadtrek 210P
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:09 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
Welcome to the forum Bukrub66

I'd drive the 4 hours to go and see it for sure at that price. In fact I'd be on the road already Onan generator carburetors get gunked up (ruined) from non use. Sometimes running products like Seafoam through the carb is enough to clean it. Sometimes the carb has to be replaced.

It's an older vehicle (almost 20 years) so expect some repairs and replacements (tires, brakes etc.) but I think your budget of $10k allows for that.
It could also be low on oil (they usually have a low oil shutoff), or the vehicle's fuel tank is too low, so no gas is getting to the generator. Both simple fixes, almost no money required.
You can check all those things when you see it.
I would verify that a 1994 Pleasure Way doesn't have a shower. It may just be that the seller doesn't know how it works, what to look for, or the curtain/shower head/etc. might just be missing.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:58 AM   #9
Platinum Member

I wonder if there is a plate on the floor for the grey water tank drain, or a curtain track. Those are telltale signs of an aisle shower.

If you can get the aisle shower working, believe it or not, they work pretty well. Just make sure to dry off and stow the curtain before hitting the road, or it may start flopping back and forth and possibly tear off the hooks.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #10

Thanks for all the info guys. He didn't return my call or email yesterday so it might possibly be sold. I will call again later in the week and find out. The shower is not a big deal. In all the years we had our pull behind I think we used it twice. Just always seems easier to use the ones in the campground. That brings me to another question. I pulled my 27 ft camper all over the country with a Chevy Tahoe with a 5.2l without any issue. I always thought the 318 was a strong engine. Would it really have that much trouble flat towing a 4300 lbs Jeep?
Old 10-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukrub66
Thanks for all the info guys. He didn't return my call or email yesterday so it might possibly be sold. I will call again later in the week and find out. The shower is not a big deal. In all the years we had our pull behind I think we used it twice. Just always seems easier to use the ones in the campground. That brings me to another question. I pulled my 27 ft camper all over the country with a Chevy Tahoe with a 5.2l without any issue. I always thought the 318 was a strong engine. Would it really have that much trouble flat towing a 4300 lbs Jeep?
In a word, probably. Until you know the tow vehicle's specs, it's hard to tell. Since that is still unknown. The average class B RV chassis is usually loaded with the added weight and stress of the conversion process that makes it into an RV. That conversion doesn't always leave much engine power for towing, except possibly class B vans that were converted onto a diesel powered chassis.
When you know what you might be pulling the 4300 lb. Jeep with, you can take the manufacturer's towing capacity numbers and decide if it will work, or plug the numbers into this towing capacity calculator, and it will tell you how much you can pull with it.
http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-tra ... t-tt.shtml
There's also (probably) a requirement for a braking system for the towable, including a break away system, which may also be problematic.
Food for thought?
Old 10-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #12

Yes, I use a Break Buddy. Thanks I will keep all that in mind.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukrub66
Yes, I use a Break Buddy. Thanks I will keep all that in mind.
Cool. Does it require the tow vehicle to have a trailer brake controller? On an older chassis, that could be challenging. Or not. Just another (headache) consideration. You could probably add an aftermarket brake controller to the tow vehicle.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #14

I haven't used it yet, but I don't believe it does. I do have a controller that I pulled out of my Tahoe before I sold it. They are not required in Texas, but I know they are in New Mexico. So I have to have it regardless.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:51 AM   #15

Got more detailed pictures of it yesterday and it is quite a bit rougher than originally told and that small engine hauling my 2 tons of fun in the mountains is also a concern. We decided to pass on this one, so the search continues. Thanks for all your assistance.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:13 PM   #16
Platinum Member

That's too bad, but it's good that you saw enough to pass on it.
I'm still thinking that you'll probably need a late model Sprinter, or other diesel chassis based, class B to haul your toy behind it. Not many gassers out there that will have the HP/Torque/drive train muscle to pull 2 tons for very long without some issues.