Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default New (to me) rig

Hi All,
Its been a busy summer and I haven't posted anything for a while though I have been reading the new posts every day or two. Answering Jimji's American Cruiser questions has prompted me to post about my new rig. Back in July, my employer (I'm an engineer at a shipyard here in Maine) asked me to do a 6 month stint at another shipyard in Connecticut owned by the same parent company to work on a submarine damage by fire. They would pay $4000/month per diem for my expenses. My first thought was to set up in a campground rather than a hotel. I figured it would be pretty tight in the American Cruiser so I went on Craig's List and found an 2005 25 ft Coachman tow behind for $5000 a short distance away. We went on a Saturday and looked at it and it was like brand new. I bought it and got the owner to deliver it to my house that day as I didn't have a tow vehicle. The next day, I went on line and found a year round campground near Groton and arranged with my nephew to tow it down. I also went online and found the tank heaters I would need for the winter months. Two days later (Tuesday) I am listening to the news as I drive to work and and the reporter says that the Navy has decided that because the damage to the ship was more extensive than they had originally thought, they were going to scrap the sub rather than fix it. Sure enough, when I got to work I was told that the job was off. Well it doesn't make much sense to own a tow behind without anything to tow it with so I traded my Forester in on an 07 GMC 4x4 extended cab pick-up. We finally used it for the first time last weekend taking it to the Birches campground in Litchfield ME. Its very comfortable compared to the B. While it's great for a week at the lake, it's not anything I would want to use for traveling the way I like to travel.
Randy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new rig.jpg (508.2 KB, 468 views)
AmCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:52 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: New (to me) rig

That looks very comfortable. Great price!
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:24 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

So, did you keep the AM Cruiser? Sorry, I'm not sure what was sold and bought.
That really sucks about the start/stop project, and the grief it caused you, all for nought.
I hope the new trailer works out, and it looks much like what I had in mind last Spring, when we thought we'd give the stationary campsite thing a try. Our project didn't work out after all, but I hope you're enjoying the new RV.
It does look nice in that spot, and the price was pretty good, too.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:53 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Yes, I still have the American Cruiser - My wife and I are heading out to New Hamphire in it Sunday afternoon through Tuesday for our annual foliage trip. The color should be at about its peak. I'm hoping to find a reasonably priced seasonal site next year on a nearby lake for the new trailer were we can skipover after work and on weekends when we aren't off in the B.
AmCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Sounds like a plan.
We considered the seasonal camping option for the summer months in Ontario, and then were planning to look for something similar south of the border for 4-5 months during our winter. Then just haul the trailer back and forth twice a year.
We have "conservation areas" in our province, that are seasonal campgrounds. I think they charge around $1800/year, or $600/month, or $200/week, so it's definitely cheaper to go by the year, if you're not sure how often you'll use it. That's for a 30A serviced site.
They usually have all sorts of amenities based on their location.