Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2015, 01:13 AM   #1

Default New Treking Blues - 2015 RT TS

Hello and thank you for allowing me to be included in this forum. My wife and I are new owners of a 2015 Roadtrek TS Adventurous E-Trek on our 2nd month of operation since driving from Texas to California. We're quickly learning a couple of things. First, no two RT's are built alike. Second, the manuals rarely match the what is actually installed from third party manufacturers. Third, the dealer we purchased it from has no business pretending they know about the workings of our unit, and most importantly, the folks at RT and those representing them are very thin skinned when it comes to suggesting inferior workmanship or engineering in their product.

All that being said, I've been told by some that in this forum I might get some honest answers to my questions from fellow Trekers who might have similar issues that I have had with mine, particularly 2014 and newer models. I'm just trying to figure out the difference between possible warranty items, user error or misunderstanding, and just plain poor engineering by RT. I hope anyone reading doesn't consider my questions or comments as whining. I'm just trying to get some answers and will post them in small threads so as not to appear too dissatisfied. My thanks in advance for anyone who has input for me.
Fr8rcapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:16 AM   #2
Platinum Member

we are usually not biased although we do have some preferences. I do own a roadtrek zion,

the problem is that there are very few TS's out there. I don;t know if we can give you more than general help.

also the key thing on this-the E-trek package gives you a full 6 year warranty on everything accept the MB sprinter part.

thats every appliance and thing in the van and battery system.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:25 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I think everyone here will be as helpful as they can be, and there are lot of folks that have a lot of knowledge.

Roadtrek does have thin skin when folks question their godliness of design, and also don't want to tell you anything about what you bought, other than "trust us".

Post up what you need, and hopefully folks will be able to help you out. Plus we all get to learn some stuff in the process.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:41 AM   #4
Platinum Member

you could seach out the name Arnold Barrett on facebook. he was banned from the roadtrekkers site for complaining about his TS. he's the only other person i know with one.

all his posts are deleted accept one from longer ago. if you search the roadtreekers facebook site using the search term Arnold Barrett one of his earlier posts comes up. you might be able to direct contact if you click on his name
Old 07-22-2015, 01:54 AM   #5

Just joined the forum so that I could respond to your post. I am selling my 2015 E-trek equipped RT due to hype being greater than reality, at least for me. If you are able to PM or provide an email contact for correspondence I would gladly share my reasons.
XROADTREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 02:11 AM   #6
Platinum Member

I think people would appreciate seeing them in public. More information on what to buy and what not to buy is always helpful.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 02:35 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Unfortunately there is no "popcorn" on this forum's "smilie" list so just imagine it's here on this comment.
Jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 02:37 AM   #8
Platinum Member

XRoadtrek, I agree with Bruceper: folks considering a major purchase like an RV will scour the forums looking for information to help them make a good decision. As long as the post is factual with minimal disparaging remarks, it can be a very good public service. RT is pushing the notion that they have accomplished electrical independence for their customers. A lot of potential RVers would like that. But if they have not delivered on their promises, that is also worth sharing the details.
Thanks in advance for sharing those details.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:14 AM   #9
Bronze Member

Fr8rcapt, I ordered a 2016 Zion with Ecotrek 200 and volt trek. Imagine how nervous I am about the volt trek. RT has problems with getting the bugs out of their new technology. Thankfully, I think I can get help here without being labeled a whiner.
sammie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:59 AM   #10
Platinum Member

I'm kinda surprised by the lack of information from RT. I get they don't want to divulge the guts of what's in their black box. But you'd think they'd show you what the control panel looks like - how you monitor what's going on and know it's working properly.

So far, all I can glean is that you get the same set of dummy lights on a black panel that a traditional Roadtrek has.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:40 AM   #11

My thanks to all who have responded so far. Pretty much as I suspected. Anyone out there with the ALDE floor heater and water heater? We've only been able to try it out once, but it makes a very audible gurgling noise at the foot of our bed, I'm assuming fluid returning to the reservoir. Other sites suggest leaving it on for 45 minutes will help. Nada. I haven't addressed this issue with RT yet. Still trying to get the Coach Connect that I paid for to work.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:45 AM   #12

Thanks XROADTREK. Please write to John at Fr8rcapt@msn.com and we'll get further in touch that way. I'm very far away from selling our new machine, but I'm interested in what might lurk around the corner. At a minimum, the dealer is going to get a very large warranty list for items that don't work as advertised when we return home in September (like every cabinet latch so far) That or I'll be demanding a refund. $150,000 should get me a lot more than I'm receiving so far in this vehicle.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:13 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Freighter: The Alde will gurgle, some more than others. There again, there is a Roadtrek issue in that some of the Alde systems were not completely filled with fluid. And though it is supposed to be "self-bleeding", several of us have found that not to be the case. There is a bleed valve on each heat exchanger, and the air bubbles have to be let out. And then the reservoir often needs to be topped off. In the case of the CS, the reservoir is in the pantry cupboard, and after a cover panel comes off you can see the Max/Min marks. Mine took about an extra quart of fluid to reach Min.

We're mostly finding that for most of the dealers RT is a small part of their business, and they are not knowledgeable on the rigs. I would suggest you call directly to RT over some of these matters -- once you track down a service guy there, they are very helpful.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:25 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr8rcapt View Post
Thanks XROADTREK. Please write to John at Fr8rcapt@msn.com and we'll get further in touch that way. I'm very far away from selling our new machine, but I'm interested in what might lurk around the corner. At a minimum, the dealer is going to get a very large warranty list for items that don't work as advertised when we return home in September (like every cabinet latch so far) That or I'll be demanding a refund. $150,000 should get me a lot more than I'm receiving so far in this vehicle.

I assume you mean the cabinets stick with those push button locks. i have them-some of the cabinets stick-however we have decided we prefer that then having the cabinet possibly opening in moving, we like them

however the wood in the cabinets expand and contract in the heat so
this video is for you

Adjusting the cabinet latches and hinges on a Roadtrek | RoadtrekingRoadtreking : The RV Lifestyle Blog

i will also tell you the secret we feel is not to pull out on the latch itself. we pop the button out then pull the cabinet open by pulling out on the sides. these latches guarantee no opening while moving which for us is a plus. i left them unlocked a few times in the begining and cabinets opening while moving is no fun

Alde-

http://roadtreking.com/alde-hydronic-system-works/
Old 07-23-2015, 06:06 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Gerry, thanks for posting that info & video. We have those latches on our Ranger R/T. Will now adjust them as instructed. Thanks to "camp skunk " for news we can use!
AZ ADVenturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:01 PM   #16
Platinum Member

I am certainly beginning to have a great deal of affection for Mr RT Campskunk for his practical useful advice and his patience and sense of humor. (not to mention his tie-dyed shirts) He and Jan make the Facebook group worth reading.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:23 PM   #17

Campskunk IS great. I have a new CS E-Trek XL. RT is replacing my small water tank in September when I visit the factory. For free, as they should. I like my rig a lot, but there are a few small workmanship issues, a few dings in the wood. The manual is in places poorly written and superseded--e.g., revving up the engine generator to charge or not? And re inverter settings. My salesman in PA didn't seem to know much about the CS. And I was flabbergasted that RT advertised a 33 gallon tank when it wasn't. However, I'm supposedly getting a 40 gallon replacement, which is great. I like the RT and am looking very, very forward to using it. But, like all products, it has its flaws. Like me, according to my ex.
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:31 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
Campskunk IS great. I have a new CS E-Trek XL. RT is replacing my small water tank in September when I visit the factory. For free, as they should. I like my rig a lot, but there are a few small workmanship issues, a few dings in the wood. The manual is in places poorly written and superseded--e.g., revving up the engine generator to charge or not? And re inverter settings. My salesman in PA didn't seem to know much about the CS. And I was flabbergasted that RT advertised a 33 gallon tank when it wasn't. However, I'm supposedly getting a 40 gallon replacement, which is great. I like the RT and am looking very, very forward to using it. But, like all products, it has its flaws. Like me, according to my ex.
i have a zion.Roadtrek has kept improving the engine generator alternator and now says if gotten after may 1 does not have to be revved.

however even if they tell me that i rev to 2000 for 10 seconds.

i also put voltmeter in a house 12 volt outlet to see if voltage rising

you have no flaws-your ex needs better eyesight
Old 07-25-2015, 02:34 PM   #19
Platinum Member

It was a very clever owner who thought to check the water tank size using a water meter

I just ordered one of these:

water meter.jpg

so that I can check mine. I want to know the size of both waste tanks and the freshwater tank on my RV and the meter was only $13 or $14 on Amazon.

It would be a good idea to check to see if the wind deflectors are secure on Roadtrek units that have them. Here's the info: https://www.facebook.com/groups/road...4690091689975/
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:54 PM   #20
Platinum Member

I've yet to decide if I'll have them tear into my water system. What I have right now is working for us. Going to something more complex doesn't thrill me.