Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2017, 04:40 AM   #1

Default Newbie Basic Accesories / No shower / toilet

If we buy a 2005 Airstream Interstate IRS 22 Class B RV, we will not be using the toilet or inside shower. That space will be used as a storage closet. We may occasionally use the outside shower. We will camp in campgrounds and use their electric and sometimes water. We will sometimes camp off-grid. Most of the time it will be my wife and me camping. We will be using this RV as our 2nd vehicle and sometimes have up to 8 passengers including driver.

Given the above, what basic accessories do folks recommend? What accessories will we not need since the toilet/inside shower won't be used?
camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:41 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I'd venture that you don't need plumbing at all. A solar shower or a pan with heated water works fine outside with a portable USB-charged shower head.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any other washing is easily accomplished with a paper towel moistened from a spray bottle if you use disposable dishes and Teflon-coated cookware.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:23 PM   #3
Platinum Member

You don't plan to get up and go to the bathroom in the middle of the night?

For me that is kind of like does a bear poop in the woods kind of question.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:51 PM   #4

Thanks for shower ideas and link to Amazon shower head gizmo. It looked interesting.
Actually we're less concerned about what we'll use instead of inside RV plumbing. There is an outside shower set up on the RV. So, we might be interested in getting campground water hookup, unless we're off grid. If we're not using the RV toilet/black water tank etc., do we still need to put chemicals into the black tank?
Old 04-10-2017, 04:58 PM   #5

Not sure what the 'bear poop in the woods' question is. Of course bears poop in the woods. We're planning to 'go' using the campground bathrooms or the same way we have for years while wilderness backpacking. Really more interested in what accessories are needed or not if we don't use RV toilet/black water tank? We might use the RV inside galley faucet / sink / grey water tank, so would still need what ever accessories to do that.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:47 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper View Post
If we're not using the RV toilet/black water tank etc., do we still need to put chemicals into the black tank?
A properly functioning rv black water system does not need chemicals. If your bathroom smells, you have a leak.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:47 AM   #7
g1g
Platinum Member

Quote:
If we buy a 2005 Airstream Interstate IRS 22 Class B RV, we will not be using the toilet or inside shower. That space will be used as a storage closet. We may occasionally use the outside shower. We will camp in campgrounds and use their electric and sometimes water. We will sometimes camp off-grid. Most of the time it will be my wife and me camping. We will be using this RV as our 2nd vehicle and sometimes have up to 8 passengers including driver.

Given the above, what basic accessories do folks recommend? What accessories will we not need since the toilet/inside shower won't be used?
First I'll mention I do have to go along with the others as a toilet was one of my necessities and I and in fact no one including yourself don't know if your ideas will change in the future, but based on your statement I will ask if you will be cooking? If so a microwave and or stove top. How about a refrigerator or do you think a cooler and ice will work. Another one of my must haves was an air conditioner. If you always will be in a campground you may get by without a generator. Keep in mind a genny is good to run everything if you just stop someplace for lunch or something. If you don't have a sink you can get by without plumbing all together. Will yo be out in the winter? If not you don't need a heater, My AC has a heat strip that does fine if it is not too cold or you can get a plug in space heater. If you need 110v you can have an invertor with a house battery or two. That can fire up a microwave or electric stove top. If you decide on not having a LP heater you don't need the LP tank unless you want it for the shower hot water.Other than a bed I doubt there is anything else you will actually need. Do keep in mind if you change your mind years down the road it is a little late or a lot more expensive to add anything.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:32 AM   #8

Thanks for your reply. By definition all RVs have sinks, showers, microwaves, usually a generator, AC, heat appliances and features. You get and pay for those features whether you want or need them or not, unless you spend as much or more money having a custom built camper, or you have the skills time to DIY. Our situation pretty much dictates a ready made traditional RV. I am actually asking about accessories, like water hoses, waste hoses, levelers, surge protectors, water pressure regulators etc.. Accessories are things that are normally not part of or included when you buy an RV. Your advice on accessories (as I have just defined) would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:48 AM   #9
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g1g View Post
:
If you need 110v you can have an invertor with a house battery or two. That can fire up a microwave or electric stove top.
::

Have you done your ampere-hour calculation?

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:20 AM   #10

Thanks for your info., although we are not currently considering either RV you mentioned. I am actually asking about accessories, like water hoses, waste hoses, levelers, surge protectors, water pressure regulators etc.. Accessories are things that are normally not part of or included when you buy an RV. Your advice on accessories (as I have just defined) would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:39 AM   #11
g1g
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
Have you done your ampere-hour calculation?

I really can't remember if I calculated it or not but that is what I did before I got my RV and I only had one problem and that is when the invertor got caught in the rain.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:59 PM   #12
Platinum Member

We purchased an Laveo electric toilet, it's 12v and comes with a battery. We can take it with us when feel we might need it or leave it at home. No Black tank or plumbing and its a full size toilet.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:06 AM   #13
Platinum Member

For things you'll need, I'd start with the basics, take a trip and see what else you need.

You may want to wait on the power cord, water hose and sewer line. Very often dealers throw those in when someone purchases a new RV so its possible a private seller of a used RV will throw them in unless he has a really nice water hose, etc. he wants to keep. The private seller of my RV gave them to me.

These are things I wanted:

- pressure relief valve
- thermometer for the refrigerator (very useful to figure out best settings)
- short garden hose (to rinse out the sewer hose even if you're only using the gray tank, you may not need this)

I used to take trips with my grandparents as a child and they never used the bathroom in their truck camper, we always used the campground bathrooms and showers. My grandmother did use the kitchen so the tank did have to be emptied but never a black tank, my grandfather always rinsed out the sewer hose.

- small trash can (trash bags)
- dish drainer and towels
- doormat, amazing how much stuff you track in the door

I haven't needed leveling blocks yet but I'm a newbie so I can't help you on that. I do want to buy a surge protector. I found I really wanted a small table to use with my folding chair, not a necessity.

I think you'll find other things you want as you go along, take a few trips. If you buy a bunch of stuff now, you may discover what others find necessities you don't even use.
Lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:57 AM   #14
Platinum Member

I don't see the need to hook up to the campground water system therefore no pressure regulator. If you need water, put it in the tank. If you dry camp then you need power management accessories, the most important being a battery monitor and the next most important being a battery charger that will charge at 14.8 volts. Backwoods Solar sells one that can charge at 15.4 volts. The standard converter is terrible as a battery charger.

If you store it outside at least 100 watts of solar with a Trik-L-Start will save you a lot of grief. An 80psi air compressor is worthwhile. 80psi air is hard to find when you need it.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
I don't see the need to hook up to the campground water system therefore no pressure regulator. If you need water, put it in the tank. If you dry camp then you need power management accessories, the most important being a battery monitor and the next most important being a battery charger that will charge at 14.8 volts. Backwoods Solar sells one that can charge at 15.4 volts. The standard converter is terrible as a battery charger.

If you store it outside at least 100 watts of solar with a Trik-L-Start will save you a lot of grief. An 80psi air compressor is worthwhile. 80psi air is hard to find when you need it.
If I use the RV's outside shower feature, will there be enough water pressure to get a decent spray without hooking up to the campground water system?
Old 04-12-2017, 10:50 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Yes, but it will pulse. If the campground has a water system I'd use the campground shower.

There is a technique to using a class B shower. Minimum water use is important so you tuck an aquarium Thermometer probe in the water heater, heat the water to 103F, turn on the hot water only and you don't waste water getting the temp right.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:28 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
If I use the RV's outside shower feature, will there be enough water pressure to get a decent spray without hooking up to the campground water system?
If you are hooked up directly to a campground water system you will get a much better spray than you can get from a built-in Shur-flo water pump. That is also why you need one of those in-line hose brass pressure regulators (small and cheap and no reason not to have one). Of course if you take a Leisurely outside shower next to your B you are of course going to create one hell of a puddle that might drain underfoot to places you need to walk through and around.

Most with inside wet baths take "Navy" showers which don't use a lot of water when only using water from your fresh tank and draining into your grey tank. If you are in a full-service campsite with sewer and water then you could hook up both and take unlimited time full showers with no penalty of depleting and filling your tanks. Of course, most older Bs are limited to propane fired 6 gallon hot water tanks which limit your time. Best are instant continuous hot water that are offered on many newer Bs now.

If a Class B has a bathroom it is best to keep it intact. I do get up in the middle of the night to go and I don't want to be constrained to wanting to locate near a public campground facility or have to step outside if it is cold or rainy. Sliding doors on Class Bs are not very quiet to open and close so as not to disturb your partner. I do boondock a lot where there are no facilities and the built-in bathroom is an obvious blessing if you need it. Of course if I find really decent campground showers I will use them. You just can't depend on that.

Built-in bathrooms can still be used for storage. We store a collapsible dirty clothes hamper in there when underway and move it to the cab passenger foot space when stopped. When we had our grandkids along we used it to store a tent, backpacks and sleeping bags for them without having to rearrange our other storage space to accommodate the extra stuff.

I was a tent camper for 40 years before buying our first Class B. I know the differences.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:34 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Yes, but it will pulse.
Not if you install a pressure accumulator like this:

These things are great. Inexpensive, easy to install, and fix all kinds of ills that plague RV water systems, including pulsing, pipe banging, and frequent pump cycles.
Quote:
If the campground has a water system I'd use the campground shower.
Personally, I will start using campground showers immediately after hell freezes over. IMO, not having to do so is one of the great pleasures of B-van ownership. To each his or her own, though.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:01 AM   #19

Get a pocket bag to keep the accessories.
JenniferBarth is offline   Reply With Quote