Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2017, 09:27 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
In 2013 we decided to DIY after an extensive search for a new van meeting our objectives. Would we do it again, perhaps not with new options of vans, camper manufacturers, and appliances. All windows around was a must, this objective eliminated windows blocking structures. Shower was not on our list based on our over 40 years of camping experience. Safari Condo has one model with the dinette converting to a large shower.

I saw a video of one month of the conversion work in 10 min. Over 3 min. was trimming. So to have all windows and to reduced my effort of trimming we got a passenger van. The factory trim cannot be matched by small manufacturers or DIY folks.

I decided to use aluminum framing for all cabinets, the galley, and O/H cabinets. Strong and light weight frames allowed to use any light material for panels, my choice was HDPE not requiring any finishing steps. All cabinets are bolted to the floor using factory seat mounts.

For space heating we have diesel powered Expar D2, for water heater Isotemp Marine heater combined with Expar Hydronic D5 - diesel or 120V powered, compressor fridge, 300W PV panels, 230 An batteries, microwave, 1000W and 300W invertors etc.

I researched Webasto Dual Top, Rixen, Propex if going with LPG and decided to go with D2/D5/Isotemp, if doing again with diesel I would do the same, D2 is superior for space heating, D5 is great for the boonies but louder than D2, Isotemp has 4 gal. of hot water which I get in a couple of second at the sink faucet. Today, with Truma I would seriously consider LPG, using rubber hoses commercially terminated is easier than hydronic systems.

Doing a DIY camper is building a prototype so planning, CAD, using CNC services, having raw materials precut at a factory to your drawing dimensions, staying away from technology bleeding edges will help to make your first and likely the last prototype successful.

George.
George always loved your van. DIY but such a work of art. If I had the skills and ability to build something like that I would go that route for sure.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:52 AM   #22
Platinum Member

Thank you for your kind words, we are on the road for a while now cruising through national and state parks, everything works as planned.

George.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote