Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #1

Default Newbie first post - needing alarm help

First of all, I just purchased a used 2007 Roadtrek 170 Popular and absolutely love it. All has been well for about a week, but now every time I open a door my horn alarm goes off. I try pushing every button on the remote (there are lock, unlock and horn buttons) to no avail. Pushing the horn while the horn alarm is going off only seems to change the cadence at first, then I guess it finally turns it off. I can get in the vehicle and start it up, the alarm still keeps going, then finally quits (i think when the door closes). But if I open the door (even with the vehicle still running) the alarm goes off.

It's embarrassing cause I can just "feel" my neighbors getting annoyed...haha

Any suggestions on how to stop this or get it out of whatever alarm mode it's in? It used to honk every time it locked and unlocked, now it seems to be perpetually armed.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

-Eric
twitchsbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:17 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: Newbie first post - needing alarm help

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchsbrew
First of all, I just purchased a used 2007 Roadtrek 170 Popular and absolutely love it. All has been well for about a week, but now every time I open a door my horn alarm goes off. I try pushing every button on the remote (there are lock, unlock and horn buttons) to no avail. Pushing the horn while the horn alarm is going off only seems to change the cadence at first, then I guess it finally turns it off. I can get in the vehicle and start it up, the alarm still keeps going, then finally quits (i think when the door closes). But if I open the door (even with the vehicle still running) the alarm goes off.

It's embarrassing cause I can just "feel" my neighbors getting annoyed...haha

Any suggestions on how to stop this or get it out of whatever alarm mode it's in? It used to honk every time it locked and unlocked, now it seems to be perpetually armed.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

-Eric
Next time it happens, try pressing the unlock button and holding it for a 2 count. Most lock/unlock fob controlled alarms disarm by the unlock button. If that doesn't work try a quick press of the unlock button next time it happens.
As for why it's happening, unless Roadtrek added a secret after market alarm, or modified the factory alarm system somehow, I'd visit the local Chev or GM dealer, and ask them what's happening.
It's not fun when the alarm system starts driving you nuts. Been there, done that. My truck has a similar alarm issue, unexpected / unpredictable activation, which has resulted in me affectionately naming her "Christine".
I just looked at the 2007 Roadtrek OM and there's nothing in it about the vehicle alarm system, so I'm guessing it's a GM/Chev chassis issue.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:22 PM   #3
g1g
Platinum Member

I've had the same thing happen to me and just hate it. I would also change the battery because if it is to low it may not be transmittiung a good enough signal. Then if you don't get any other answers see if you can find the brand name then see who sells it and go there for help. That's the best I can come up with. good luck
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:52 AM   #4

Thanks so much for the quick replies. Mike actually was on the right path with the after market alarm. Turns out there is one I just didn't have any paper work. I called a buddy of mine who used to install alarms and he talked me through disabling it temporarily. We have two sets of keys and one set has the standard GM remote and the other (which looks fairly similar if you don't pay attention) has the after market alarm remote. My wife had the alarm set and when I opened the door...horns galore haha. When she got home I tried her remote and everything acted as expected.

Thanks again. Guess I still have a few discoveries ahead for me haha

-Eric
Old 04-02-2013, 01:18 AM   #5

And to add to it further we figured out how the alarm got set in the first place. She went out to the Roadtrek last night to get something out of it and locked it with her remote which set the alarm thus the problems I experienced this morning. Now we can laugh about it....over a glass of wine of course...lol
Old 04-02-2013, 01:32 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

I was going to ask if you had an after market alarm, but thought you would have mentioned it.
I have an after market alarm on my van and I went through the same learning process with my GM and non-GM fobs when it was installed. I'd lock it with the alarm fob, and then unlock it with the GM fob, and trigger the siren. I also occasionally enable the shock sensor somehow, which then only requires a loud noise, or nearby vibration like a heavy truck driving by, to start the sirens. I'm sure my neighbor hates me, as it's happened a few times in the last few months. I'm still trying to figure out what's enabling it. It may be a weak chassis battery, or a weak fob battery. Not sure.
Glad you figured it out. Your neighbors are probably glad too.