Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2015, 09:05 PM   #1

Default Newbie needs help with first class b purchase

Greeting Everyone - I am in need of your help and experience in the purchase of my first Class B RV. Here is my situation. My wife and I are moving into an active retirement community that has size limitations on RV parking. I need to find a Class B (used) that is not higher than 7 ft. and not longer than 18 ft.! Does anyone know which Class B models that are within these specifications, so I can start my search? Or, any other advise?
Thanking everyone that responds in advance.
Kevin
Kevininsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:19 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Sportsmobile with poptops and Pleasure-way Traverse might meet your requirements. Most Class Bs you can walk around in are close to or over 9 foot tall.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:50 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevininsc View Post
Greeting Everyone - I am in need of your help and experience in the purchase of my first Class B RV. Here is my situation. My wife and I are moving into an active retirement community that has size limitations on RV parking. I need to find a Class B (used) that is not higher than 7 ft. and not longer than 18 ft.! Does anyone know which Class B models that are within these specifications, so I can start my search? Or, any other advise?
Thanking everyone that responds in advance.
Kevin
What I have. A VW Eurovan Camper (1993-2003) - About 17 ft long and about 80-82 inches tall (with the poptop down - tires, suspension and vent can vary the height.).

I think the only Class B - in North America - that comes close is the Safari Condo M-18 series, built on a GM Express/Savana, with the low profile poptop roof. Still it is 18.7' long and 84.5" high (w/poptop down). Sportsmobile could build one for you on a Chevy Express base; don't know what kind of top they offer and what it does to overall height.

You might want to push back on those dimensions; many SUVs, like a Chevy Suburban, are more than 18ft long (18.7 to be exact for a Suburban). Take a walk around the community and see what is parked there. Measure the parking spaces - zoning codes often require 20' long; that might give you room for discussion.

Do they actually state "RVs are limited to 18' long x 7' high" or do they just state those limits are for vehicles? Those dimensions really have nothing to do with current Class B RVs - they are designed to exclude any RVs, IMO.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:58 PM   #4
Platinum Member

You only choice may well be a minivan conversion with poptop. Those specs are very restrictive, and as was said, are telling everybody "no RVs".
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:55 PM   #5
Platinum Member

You might want to check into RV storage where you live. There might be even be indoor facilities that handle Class B's. I see you are in SC, but I have friends in Florida that store their small Class A indoors. Don't see those type of facilities up here in PA.

That may open up your choices to larger Class B - Promaster or Sprinter bases. Then the most your community would see of your RV would be, maybe the day you pack up for a trip. I assume the size limitation is on overnight parking? I do not think they can legally limit the size of vehicles entering your community - UPS, FED EX trucks, moving vans, etc. are all larger than 18'L x 7'H. Depending on the size of your community, I would not be surprised if some of your neighbors have RVs (given the popularity) and have figured out how to accomplish the storage, trip prep, etc.

Out of curiosity, does the 7ft high limit include roof racks with luggage or bikes on top? Bet you see some of those there.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Sportsmobile with poptops and Pleasure-way Traverse might meet your requirements. Most Class Bs you can walk around in are close to or over 9 foot tall.
Davydd- Thanks for your response. The Sportsmobile is too off-road for me. The Pleasure-way with poptop isn't a bad choice, however, I would like to have a permanent bathroom. I have seen (on youtube) older Dodge xployers Class B's that would be great (except for the height).
Kevin
Old 08-10-2015, 12:21 AM   #7

Bob - I will look into a EuroVan with a poptop. I don't know if they have a built-in bathroom or not. As far as the height requirement including the A/C, rack, etc., I won't know until I talk with the appropriate people tomorrow. My initial thought is that is might not include these. Also, I don't want to park it off-site from my house since I want to use it a couple times a week going to play golf, store, etc.
How do you like your EuroVan?
Kevin
Old 08-10-2015, 12:25 AM   #8

Booster - I believe you are right about them trying to absolutely restrict any kind of RV, including the small Class Bs. The Winnebago Realta seem to be just a little taller than 7ft. Also, I believe all of their models are longer than 18ft.
Kevin
Old 08-10-2015, 01:02 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Most RV dealers offer storage for a monthly fee. I would suggest you purchase and store.

Either that or get out of strictville.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:17 AM   #10

I want to use my Class B a couple times a week as my transportation to and from the golf course, stores, etc.
Kevin
Old 08-10-2015, 02:03 AM   #11
Platinum Member

If you want a functional permanent stand up bathroom I am at a loss knowing of anything that would meet your 7' x 18' restriction. Why punish and disappoint yourself trying to meet that nearly impossible criteria?

That Winnebago Rialta, btw, looks short but that is deceiving from clever design. It is much taller than 7 feet and as you surmise is quite a bit longer than 18 feet.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:04 AM   #12
Site Team

I agree. Anything you can't stand up in will prove to be perpetual torture.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:20 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Bob - I will look into a EuroVan with a poptop. I don't know if they have a built-in bathroom or not. As far as the height requirement including the A/C, rack, etc., I won't know until I talk with the appropriate people tomorrow. My initial thought is that is might not include these. Also, I don't want to park it off-site from my house since I want to use it a couple times a week going to play golf, store, etc.
How do you like your EuroVan?
Kevin
Love the Eurovan. However they don't make them anymore. Please note: it is a '99, mechanically very sound, new transmission, new tires, new radio, carpets, cleaned up (bought used at 103K miles)- some condition issue - interior plastic, etc. No bathroom or shower, small battery, no AC, no solar, no Vent/Fan. New ones in "mint" condition (still will have go for $35-50k. I have added porti-potti, fan/vent, LEDlights, other improvements. VW EVC is SMALL, compared to newer Class Bs.

As for Sportsmobile, don't think the name means "off-road" they are NOT 4x4 (unless you want that) - they customize/build to what you want. Do some more research - talk with them.

Look up Safari/Condo - made in Canada, so that presents some logistical issues, but seem very nice designs.

Do research, ask questions, go to RV shows. You have time to figure out what works for you.

ps- Rialta is much bigger - longer, taller, especially wider - not something to tool around, take a couple of times a week to the golf course. IMO
Old 08-10-2015, 12:24 PM   #14
Platinum Member

A Roadtrek 170 or 190 may pass. Technically beyond your stated limits, but looks like any other custom van. Since no AC poking out on top, you'll probably get away with it. If someone creates a fuss, then you can always rent a storage garage.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
A Roadtrek 170 or 190 may pass. Technically beyond your stated limits, but looks like any other custom van. Since no AC poking out on top, you'll probably get away with it. If someone creates a fuss, then you can always rent a storage garage.
GOOD NEWS PEOPLE!!! I just checked with the City of Las Vegas regarding the parking regulations in this community, since they own the streets, not the community.

I will be allowed to park any RV up to 24 ft. on the street in front of my house. However, it can not just be parked there for more than 72 hours without being used! They obviously don't want RVers' to just leave their RVs on the street until the next time they use it (maybe once or twice a year). So, since I will be using it a couple times a week, I would be in compliance with the rules in Las Vegas, but not so much with how my neighbors might think! This is exactly what the person in the Parking Enforcement Department said that most of the complaints would come from.
Also, I am looking into possibly having my garage raised up a little to accommodate the size of whichever Class B I purchase. This would have to be accepted/approved by the Community Regulations committee first. This depends heavily on the house my wife picks though. It might not look so great to have a standard 7ft high garage raised to 8/9ft.
IN CONCLUSION - It seems like that may open up the choices I would have in purchasing a Class B (Roadtrek 170, Dodge Xplorer,etc.) Any other USED model that I should consider that have an enclosed bathroom?
Kevin
Old 08-11-2015, 01:14 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
GOOD NEWS PEOPLE!!! I just checked with the City of Las Vegas regarding the parking regulations in this community, since they own the streets, not the community.

It might not look so great to have a standard 7ft high garage raised to 8/9ft.

Kevin
So you are in Las Vegas; saw the South Carolina on your forum name and assumed that was where you were retiring. Sorry for the mistake.

Double check your height against what you are interested in. Remember to add a few inches - tire pressure, suspension, etc. may vary the "published" height. I think 10 feet would allow almost any Class B.

Measure twice, cut once.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:57 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:

I will be allowed to park any RV up to 24 ft. on the street in front of my house. However, it can not just be parked there for more than 72 hours without being used! They obviously don't want RVers' to just leave their RVs on the street until the next time they use it (maybe once or twice a year). So, since I will be using it a couple times a week, I would be in compliance with the rules in Las Vegas, but not so much with how my neighbors might think! This is exactly what the person in the Parking Enforcement Department said that most of the complaints would come from.
Also, I am looking into possibly having my garage raised up a little to accommodate the size of whichever Class B I purchase. This would have to be accepted/approved by the Community Regulations committee first. This depends heavily on the house my wife picks though. It might not look so great to have a standard 7ft high garage raised to 8/9ft.
IN CONCLUSION - It seems like that may open up the choices I would have in purchasing a Class B (Roadtrek 170, Dodge Xplorer,etc.) Any other USED model that I should consider that have an enclosed bathroom?
Kevin
In San Diego you cannot leave ANY vehicle parked in a city street for more than 72 hours.
Jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:03 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Did you check to see if the strata community has any RV parking. Some have. We have an actual RV park for our boats, rvs etc. Off site can be as little as $50 a month and you might find a place to park close to your gated community home.
Fastpaddler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:19 AM   #19
Platinum Member

72 hours? In Winnipeg you can't park an RV for longer than 60 minutes on the street legally. It takes a complaint to actually get a ticket but you never know.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:06 AM   #20
Platinum Member

My understanding from my brother who is a retired police Inspector is that as long as the rear of your rv is NOT a dualie system you can park on the street anywhere like any other vehicle such as a pickup truck. I was in Winnipeg last summer and no trouble with PW Plateau TS there on streets but dualies, watch out. Same applies here on West Coast.
Fastpaddler1 is offline   Reply With Quote