Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2016, 07:40 PM   #1
BBQ
Platinum Member

Default Newbie Q: Sprinter 22ft vs 24 ft

Hi:

A total newbie question here.

After looking around a bit and watched many youtube videos, I am narrowing down my choices to a Sprinter chassis class B.

Practically I would like to drive the PW Assent at 19 ft 7 in. Their video makes it look like a breeze to drive around town.

But I am planning on a longer trip, from the East coast to the West.

So I am thinking the 3500 might be a better choice.

The question is, do I get the standard body? or the XL?

The XL do look scarily L--O--N--G.

But the extra storage is tempting because I am planning a long trip.

I want to ask those who have bought their Sprinter: Do you have any regrets? If you had bought the XL, do you wish you had not? or vise versa?
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:00 PM   #2
Platinum Member

An average " normal parking spot" is 20' long if you are lucky. So figure on how much you feel comfortable sticking out if applicable for your use or concern.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:12 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I have the XL 24 foot Sprinter. The extra storage space is great and I would not have anything shorter for my needs. Parking does take a little extra looking, as it takes more than a single parking space. The bigger limit of any of these high top vans is they can't get into a parking garage.

If you think the 24 foot is too long you could always get the shorter Sprinter and add a hitch box on back for extra storage.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:08 PM   #4
Platinum Member

With a hitch box you just have a long RV again only you can't judge your depth.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:35 PM   #5
Platinum Member

With us it seemed no matter how much storage we have, we manage to fill it. Going from a 35' Class A to a Class B 19'6" is a lesson in what you will need vs what you might use. Being able to park literally anywhere was a priority and worth the sacrifice for us.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:45 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Default 24 handles gibe

The 24 does provide much needed space and is very handy to drive. Parking does not seem to be a big deal, but, not often in urban areas.
Twinbridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:03 AM   #7
Gold Member

Personally, I think once you are into the 3500 chassis, you may as well go the 24’.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:07 AM   #8

While the 21' length of the Winnebago Travato 59K wasn't the biggest factor in our decision to buy it (the floorplan was), I sure am happy with the length.
VaVet96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:50 AM   #9
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman View Post
An average " normal parking spot" is 20' long if you are lucky. So figure on how much you feel comfortable sticking out if applicable for your use or concern.
you are right...

I was at the supermarket,
there was a Sprinter 2500 delivery van at the parking lot.
It barely made it into the parking space.

I better do more thinking.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:20 AM   #10
Bronze Member

I have the Travato, and love it. I found after a few trips, I really didn't need all the stuff I was carrying. I replaced a lot of things with a compact version, and took out things I could do without. Now, the three drawers under the bed are almost empty.

Clothes was the biggest thing for me. I cut my wardrobe in half. Almost every truck stop has a coin laundry, as well as the RV Parks.
JimDavisHouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:22 AM   #11
Platinum Member

If you plan on utilizing it as a second vehicle, run to the store, errands etc... the shorter van will be less stressful about town. I don't think twice about using mine since it maneuvers and parks without concern. We go to allot of small town events and are able to find parking easier. I'd recommend under 22' unless parking and secondary use isn't an issue.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:34 AM   #12
Bronze Member

Mine is far from a second vehicle for errands. I do Industrial Service work, and can't fly anymore due to a disability. My Company wanted me back, so I bought the Travato, and travel the US & Canada. I basically live in it for weeks at a time. Park on a company's property, work, and move on to the next. I put about 60 to 70k on it a year. Mileage and expenses are paid by my company, so I basically get a free van.

The length is great in cities, and parking is a breeze. I usually stay at Truck Stops, on the road, and parking in the car lots works great. As I said before, I seem to have more than enough room inside, and when my wife wants to go along, her things fit nicely in the extra room that I don't use.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:40 AM   #13
Platinum Member

I have the 24 foot 3500 Sprinter. Parking lots are fine - just need to find back-to-back spots open and straddle both. In our town, some of the street-parking spaces are actually 24 feet long; although, I think the standard is 20-22 feet. The Sprinter 3500 handles very well. And is comfortable to drive.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:50 PM   #14
Bronze Member

Backing into the spot helps too. If the curb or bumper is not too high, you can back the rear wheels to the curb and let the excess over hang in the rear. Just back in slow. If the curb or bumper is too high, I bump the Generator before the wheels touch.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:56 PM   #15

I also have a 24 ft 3500 sprinter with a separate storage area I am able to carry 2 zero gravity chairs 3 sets of rv cords aluminum fold up table 2 fresh water hoses ,area rug complete sewer hookup hoses-leveling blocks, small grill, 1 pound tanks, foldable shovel, electrical surge connector and we still have some room left over.
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote