Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2015, 04:50 PM   #1

Default Newbie question: what's the deal with propane?

We r very interested in purchasing a class b sprinter chassis rv's and live on the east coast and want to do city travel as well as national parks and everywhere else. Do we really have to avoid tunnels if our RV carries propane? Doesn't that mean we should only be looking at propane-free rv's? Wondering why 90% of the models depend on propane. Also, it seems dumb since you have this beautiful diesel power plant, why not harness it for all the other power needs?
Spraggini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 05:04 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Newbie question: what's the deal with propane?

Probably more like 99.9% of the 350,000 or so motorhomes built in 2014 had propane

Woodall’s published useful info about propane restrictions in their 2011 Driving Laws for the US and Canada article:

Link: http://www.woodalls.com/articledetails. ... ID=2799181

You have to scroll down to the bottom on that page to see the LP-gas related info I've quoted below.

Quote:
LP-GAS PROHIBITED:

Maryland/Baltimore: Baltimore Harbor and Fort McHenry (I-95) tunnels. Alternate route for RVs with propane over the Francis Scott Key Bridge is I-695.

Massachusetts/Boston Harbor: All.

New York/East River: Between Manhattan and Brooklyn: Brooklyn Battery Tunnel. Between Manhattan and Queens: Queens Midtown Tunnel.

New York and New Jersey/Hudson River: Between Manhattan and Jersey City: Holland Tunnel. Between Manhattan and Fort Lee: Lower level George Washington Bridge (I-95 South) and George Washington Bridge Expressway. Lower level Verrazano Narrows Bridge. Between Manhattan and Weehawken: Lincoln Tunnel.

LP-GAS RESTRICTIONS:

Virginia/Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel: RVs equipped with ICC-approved compressed cooking tanks not exceeding two 45-pound capacity tanks (or two permanently mounted containers with maximum total capacity of 200 pounds) may cross the facility provided that, in the opinion of the toll collector or police sergeant after inspection, the tanks are completely shut off and securely attached.

Texas/Houston Ship Channel: Washburn Tunnel between Pasadena and Galena Park: Maximum of two 7½-gallon containers (30 pounds gas each) or one 10-gallon container (40 pounds gas) of DOT (ICC)-approved type, with shutoff valve at discharge opening. Valve must be closed when in tunnel. LP-gas as vehicle fuel prohibited. 7½-gallon containers (30 pounds gas each) or one 10-gallon container (40 pounds gas) of DOT (ICC)-approved type, with shutoff valve at discharge opening. Valve must be closed when in tunnel. LP-gas as vehicle fuel prohibited.
Some RV specific GPS units will have that info built in. The Rand McNally unit I have has it: http://www.randmcnally.com/product/rvnd-7720-lm

Quote:
Why RV GPS?

An RV adventure is more than an ordinary car trip. Which is why you need more than your car GPS. The RVND™ was designed to meet the unique challenges of driving an RV, with award-winning routing and tools that help you plan, prepare, and enjoy the ride. Choose your vehicle from 11 different RV types, including Class A, fifth wheel, and travel trailer. The RVND™ accounts for propane restrictions and even right- or left-hand turn preferences. Or switch to car mode for everyday use.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 05:33 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Typically propane is used for:

Refrigerator cooling
Cooking inside the RV
Cooking outside the RV
Hot water (water heater)
Heat (furnace)

I think it is used so much because it does so much.

A large battery bank and diesel fired heat and hot water can be a substitute for propane. Cook over a campfire outside
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 05:46 PM   #4
Platinum Member

some-not many-tunnels east of the missisippi that go down under water have these restrictions. the ones that do-the one in baltimore have a highway bypass big truck route. usually tunnels that go up and thru mountains don't.

i think it's because low tunnels and have propane settle. also a fw tunnels that do separate out rv's from the rest this is mostly a non issue unless your using your van as a daily driver into manhattan or baltimore
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote