Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2018, 09:07 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Next Generation Sprinter Campers Are Coming

Looks like more and more Sprinter conversions are using the bump-outs to provide for horizontal sleeping surfaces.

The 2019 Sprinter will get the Mercedes UX interface as well (optional)

ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:07 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Those low profile (or semi-integrated) Hymer units are very different than what we might get in North America, as they're built on the new tractor-head front wheel drive Sprinter VS30 units.

For the time being North America will not get any of the new FWD Sprinters, only the RWD (or AWD) variants.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:52 AM   #3
Gold Member

Just now I have browsed the Youtube above and the link: https://vans.mercedes-benz.co.uk/new-sprinter/ about the New Mercedes Sprinter, it's high-quality, great-safety, much-more-comfortable for the people give me a deep impression. Personally speaking, I like it if the price is reasonable.
Monica998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:51 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Side-to-side beds make so much sense that I can't believe it has not be exploited by more class b makers. It saves at least a foot of space that can be used in the galley, bath, or just more storage. An extra foot is huge in a class b.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:35 PM   #5
Gold Member

Side to side beds only make sense if you are single. Otherwise you have to climb over a person to get out of bed or go out the back door and come back in through the side door.

QUOTE=rowiebowie;81376]Side-to-side beds make so much sense that I can't believe it has not be exploited by more class b makers. It saves at least a foot of space that can be used in the galley, bath, or just more storage. An extra foot is huge in a class b.[/QUOTE]
Brad1998RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:43 PM   #6
Gold Member

It would be nice if we could get the front wheel drive in the US. Then maybe Winnebago would bring back the Rialta or something similar.
Nice low profile and low entrance into the coach.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:44 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1998RD View Post
Side to side beds only make sense if you are single. Otherwise you have to climb over a person to get out of bed or go out the back door and come back in through the side door.
Brad, are you admitting to be "of a certain age"? Until about 10 yrs. ago I never had to get up from bed in the middle of the night.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:18 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica998 View Post
Just now I have browsed the Youtube above and the link: https://vans.mercedes-benz.co.uk/new-sprinter/ about the New Mercedes Sprinter, it's high-quality, great-safety, much-more-comfortable for the people give me a deep impression. Personally speaking, I like it if the price is reasonable.
Despite the fact that Mercedes is now building Sprinter vans in South Carolina, the price will not be reduced. Considering the huge cost of importing them, I expected a significant price reduction, but according to the TFL video below the price will remain pretty close to current levels. It seems that Mercedes is taking this opportunity to increase their already larger than average profit margins. Don't get me wrong, I'll probably still buy one, but it is a huge disappointment that they decided to gouge US customers, instead of passing along some of their savings.

dhectorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:26 AM   #9
Gold Member

Rowiebowie
I have always had to get up in the middle of the night since I was a kid. Same with wife. Me more so now due to back pain. Degenerative disc disease and 6 back surgerys
Old 09-25-2018, 02:00 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1998RD View Post
Climbing over has resulted in some of the best times i've ever had in an RV...

Count me in on the no problem with climbing over crowd..
bwolfsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:03 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Default Next Generation Sprinter Campers Are Coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhectorg View Post
...the price will remain pretty close to current levels.

MB says they spent about 500 million build the new plant. That they intend to position the Sprinter built here as the premium product it is should not be a surprise.
Knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:52 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knit View Post
MB says they spent about 500 million build the new plant. That they intend to position the Sprinter built here as the premium product it is should not be a surprise.
I'm definitely not surprised that a corporation would seek to maximize profits, I'm merely disappointed. Also, the new facility was heavily incentivized by the state of South Carolina with grants and a generous tax abatement, so that's hardly any sort of justification.
dhectorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:55 AM   #13
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhectorg View Post
Despite the fact that Mercedes is now building Sprinter vans in South Carolina, the price will not be reduced. Considering the huge cost of importing them, I expected a significant price reduction, but according to the TFL video below the price will remain pretty close to current levels. It seems that Mercedes is taking this opportunity to increase their already larger than average profit margins. Don't get me wrong, I'll probably still buy one, but it is a huge disappointment that they decided to gouge US customers, instead of passing along some of their savings.
Actually the price will be high if a new product has been released at the beginning. Because it's the new product and will get the high attention from the customers.
Later the manufacturer maybe will held some activities during the holidays with some discounts in order to push the sales.
After a while, this type of products will be discount until some new products has been released.
That's the general phenomenon.
Monica998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:42 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwolfsohn View Post
Climbing over has resulted in some of the best times i've ever had in an RV...

Count me in on the no problem with climbing over crowd..
Now that we've heard the full confession of a climber, we need to hear from some impacted climbees.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:16 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
Now that we've heard the full confession of a climber, we need to hear from some impacted climbees.
I've been both. A little extra smooch never hurts.

Actually, the best is when you can coordinate and get up together.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:14 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Default VW Rialta Tractor Cabs

I believe last time we had low profile RVs in North America based on tractor head cabs (no rear chassis frame) was the VW Rialta.

Here's pic from the Winnebago factory in 2001 with VW tractor heads bolted back-to-back from Germany waiting for rear chassis and body fabrication into finished Rialtas.

Tractor heads by nature must of course be front wheel drive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VW_Riata_Tractor_Cabs.jpg (28.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 10-02-2018, 10:46 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Default Sprinter VS30 Tractor Head

And the new Mercedes Sprinter VS30 FWD Tractor Head unit for integrated RVs...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sprinter_vs30_tractorhead.jpg (28.8 KB, 14 views)