Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-12-2018, 10:07 PM   #1
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: California
Posts: 504
Default Next Generation Sprinter Campers Are Coming

Looks like more and more Sprinter conversions are using the bump-outs to provide for horizontal sleeping surfaces.



The 2019 Sprinter will get the Mercedes UX interface as well (optional)

__________________

ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:07 PM   #2
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 214
Default

Those low profile (or semi-integrated) Hymer units are very different than what we might get in North America, as they're built on the new tractor-head front wheel drive Sprinter VS30 units.

For the time being North America will not get any of the new FWD Sprinters, only the RWD (or AWD) variants.
__________________

rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:52 AM   #3
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: China
Posts: 86
Default

Just now I have browsed the Youtube above and the link: https://vans.mercedes-benz.co.uk/new-sprinter/ about the New Mercedes Sprinter, it's high-quality, great-safety, much-more-comfortable for the people give me a deep impression. Personally speaking, I like it if the price is reasonable.
Monica998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 04:51 AM   #4
Platinum Member
 
rowiebowie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,091
Default

Side-to-side beds make so much sense that I can't believe it has not be exploited by more class b makers. It saves at least a foot of space that can be used in the galley, bath, or just more storage. An extra foot is huge in a class b.
rowiebowie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:35 PM   #5
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: IN
Posts: 51
Default

Side to side beds only make sense if you are single. Otherwise you have to climb over a person to get out of bed or go out the back door and come back in through the side door.



QUOTE=rowiebowie;81376]Side-to-side beds make so much sense that I can't believe it has not be exploited by more class b makers. It saves at least a foot of space that can be used in the galley, bath, or just more storage. An extra foot is huge in a class b.[/QUOTE]
Brad1998RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:43 PM   #6
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: IN
Posts: 51
Default

It would be nice if we could get the front wheel drive in the US. Then maybe Winnebago would bring back the Rialta or something similar.
Nice low profile and low entrance into the coach.
Brad1998RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:44 AM   #7
Platinum Member
 
rowiebowie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,091
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1998RD View Post
Side to side beds only make sense if you are single. Otherwise you have to climb over a person to get out of bed or go out the back door and come back in through the side door.
Brad, are you admitting to be "of a certain age"? Until about 10 yrs. ago I never had to get up from bed in the middle of the night.
rowiebowie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:18 AM   #8
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica998 View Post
Just now I have browsed the Youtube above and the link: https://vans.mercedes-benz.co.uk/new-sprinter/ about the New Mercedes Sprinter, it's high-quality, great-safety, much-more-comfortable for the people give me a deep impression. Personally speaking, I like it if the price is reasonable.
Despite the fact that Mercedes is now building Sprinter vans in South Carolina, the price will not be reduced. Considering the huge cost of importing them, I expected a significant price reduction, but according to the TFL video below the price will remain pretty close to current levels. It seems that Mercedes is taking this opportunity to increase their already larger than average profit margins. Don't get me wrong, I'll probably still buy one, but it is a huge disappointment that they decided to gouge US customers, instead of passing along some of their savings.

dhectorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:26 AM   #9
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: IN
Posts: 51
Default

Rowiebowie
I have always had to get up in the middle of the night since I was a kid. Same with wife. Me more so now due to back pain. Degenerative disc disease and 6 back surgerys
Brad1998RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:00 AM   #10
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1998RD View Post
Side to side beds only make sense if you are single. Otherwise you have to climb over a person to get out of bed or go out the back door and come back in through the side door.
Climbing over has resulted in some of the best times i've ever had in an RV...

Count me in on the no problem with climbing over crowd..
bwolfsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:03 AM   #11
Platinum Member
 
Knit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 169
Default Next Generation Sprinter Campers Are Coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhectorg View Post
...the price will remain pretty close to current levels.

MB says they spent about 500 million build the new plant. That they intend to position the Sprinter built here as the premium product it is should not be a surprise.
Knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 05:52 AM   #12
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knit View Post
MB says they spent about 500 million build the new plant. That they intend to position the Sprinter built here as the premium product it is should not be a surprise.
I'm definitely not surprised that a corporation would seek to maximize profits, I'm merely disappointed. Also, the new facility was heavily incentivized by the state of South Carolina with grants and a generous tax abatement, so that's hardly any sort of justification.
dhectorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:55 AM   #13
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: China
Posts: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhectorg View Post
Despite the fact that Mercedes is now building Sprinter vans in South Carolina, the price will not be reduced. Considering the huge cost of importing them, I expected a significant price reduction, but according to the TFL video below the price will remain pretty close to current levels. It seems that Mercedes is taking this opportunity to increase their already larger than average profit margins. Don't get me wrong, I'll probably still buy one, but it is a huge disappointment that they decided to gouge US customers, instead of passing along some of their savings.
Actually the price will be high if a new product has been released at the beginning. Because it's the new product and will get the high attention from the customers.
Later the manufacturer maybe will held some activities during the holidays with some discounts in order to push the sales.
After a while, this type of products will be discount until some new products has been released.
That's the general phenomenon.
Monica998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:42 PM   #14
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: CA
Posts: 1,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwolfsohn View Post
Climbing over has resulted in some of the best times i've ever had in an RV...

Count me in on the no problem with climbing over crowd..
Now that we've heard the full confession of a climber, we need to hear from some impacted climbees.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 01:16 AM   #15
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 370
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
Now that we've heard the full confession of a climber, we need to hear from some impacted climbees.
I've been both. A little extra smooch never hurts.

Actually, the best is when you can coordinate and get up together.
__________________
2014 Promaster 136" Self-Build

Build Site: www.msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:14 PM   #16
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 214
Default VW Rialta Tractor Cabs

I believe last time we had low profile RVs in North America based on tractor head cabs (no rear chassis frame) was the VW Rialta.

Here's pic from the Winnebago factory in 2001 with VW tractor heads bolted back-to-back from Germany waiting for rear chassis and body fabrication into finished Rialtas.

Tractor heads by nature must of course be front wheel drive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VW_Riata_Tractor_Cabs.jpg (28.8 KB, 10 views)
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:46 PM   #17
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 214
Default Sprinter VS30 Tractor Head

And the new Mercedes Sprinter VS30 FWD Tractor Head unit for integrated RVs...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sprinter_vs30_tractorhead.jpg (28.8 KB, 14 views)
__________________

rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×